Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

would i regret pdk carrera without sc?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 02:38 AM
Mark618
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the diminished resale value, to the discount you are now offered, there is a reason for the reduction in price with no S/C. " No such thing as a free lunch "
Old 05-15-2009, 04:28 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2009 C2S CAB PDK 762-Launch Code. I got a great deal. While I sometimes wish I had SC, it would probably get very little to no use as I like to manually shift when I drive hard. If I let the car have all the fun, there would be no reason for me to be in it. I did not buy my PDK based on it being a launch car, having or not having SC. I bought it based on looks, having most of my desired options, price, and immediate availability. It's easy to beat myself up over missed options, if I want to dwell over that crap instead of enjoying my CAB. I would not get the PDK again, and have always disliked the ugly chrono sitting on the dash.
I guess the best answer I can give you remembering that I did have the SC on my Turbo, and it was functional adding overboost. However, I almost never used it because it's a button that needs to be pushed in every time you start the car. Performance enhancing buttons are gimmicky to me, so I am not inclined to use them unless I am racing. The last time I actually pushed a button on a weekly basis was back in college to initiate NOS in my Mustang when I was drag racing in San Diego. I soon installed a B-trim Vortech blower, make other major engine mods, and happily said goodbye to buttons that make cars go faster.
For 911 owners who don't race, I think it's unlikely the SC option would get any sustained use other than to see that it works or impress people who are most likely already impressed.

On a side note, while visiting my Mother in Rancho Santa Fe Sunday I stumbled by the most annoying 911 LOSER habit. Morons who drive at low speeds or park with their spoilers raised looking for any possible extra attention. So, to the owner of the black 997 CAB parked in front of PetSmart in Encinitas on Sunday, top down, spoiler up, it looks really queer.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:59 AM
Adam2S
Instructor

The only true way to answer this is to try a PDK cars with SC and test out the different modes. If you are happy with the way Normal drives then you won't miss Sport or Sport Plus.

Personally after 6 weeks of buying a PDK car I absolutly hate Normal mode. 98% of my driving is round town and speeds of less than 50mph. Normal just makes the whole PDK package feel like Im driving an automatic and I truely hate it! Sports is about bareable and having just switched over to trying Sport Plus and Im finding that better. That said Sport Plus disables 7th so its not viable for high speeds. Its all about the way it changes gear in the modes - yes I use the paddles all the time in manual but it the changes still feel very differnt.

Its each to their own of course. Normal may well be just fine for many many people so buying SC+ would indeed be a waste of cash. Plus you have to live with that ugly useless wart and the more than useless lap timer feature on the PCM. Naff features like these really do annoy me too.

Anyway Im struggling to like PDK at all at the moment as it still feels like a Tip on steriods to me in any of the modes. Im wishing Id not bothered with SC+ or PDK!
Old 05-15-2009, 06:44 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

5000 miles on my '09 C2S with PDK and no SC and I don't miss it. The option i did get and would never order a car without is limited slip.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:50 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
5000 miles on my '09 C2S with PDK and no SC and I don't miss it.
+1. No SC with PDK. Don't miss it. Now at 5K miles. As a daily driver, it's an excellent car.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:32 AM
jlinmd
Racer

Originally Posted by allegretto
launch cars are nice. almost bought one, as you, on an excellent deal

SC+ is a great toy however. "normal" is a little too possessed about gas mileage, but still jumps appropriately when goosed. seems to take back the helm a little too soon when you override too.

"sport" is nice and moderately agressive.

"sport" + is really of little use unless you're trying to scare passengers/run from the cops (or just rev the pi$$ out of the motor for whatever reason). the new engine has so much TQ

what i'd like to know is where in this range do they set the non-SC+ cars?
+1

couldn't agree more. You can still shift at higher RPMs in non-SC cars if you stomp on the throttle. The shifts are softer and slower than Sport and Sport +. In Sport, the shifts are at around 3k. But if you push it, the tranny will also shift at higher RPMs. In Sport Plus....forget 'bout it. It's insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get the launch car. Like my Green Monstah! Or the Metor Grey C4S with bucket seats. It think these are the only two launch cars with PDK/SCP. The
CW C2 and Aqua Blue C2S Cab don't have the SC.

Launch control is overrated. Unless you drag race every car at the light, there's really no use for it. It is awesome indeed though.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:32 AM
jlinmd
Racer

Originally Posted by stevebmd
funny my salesman did the same exact thing....but ask one to do that in a six speed...? never.
nothing drives me crazier than car salesman who fiddle with car while i am driving....
Steve, where did you do your test drive? Have you tried Rockville Porsche?
Old 05-15-2009, 11:12 AM
stevebmd
Racer

thats where test drove with the button fiddler....not a huge fan of theirs for many reasons...PM for details. once tried to sell me a boxster S that was on the showroom floor (with dead battery....so i could not see miles) as a new car that infact was a "demo" with 5k miles on it...They also routinely mark up any lease rates and quoted me a much higher finance rate last week than the advertised PFS 2.9 %
Old 05-15-2009, 11:13 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
I have a 2009 C2S CAB PDK 762-Launch Code. I got a great deal. While I sometimes wish I had SC, it would probably get very little to no use as I like to manually shift when I drive hard. :
Todd, even when manually shifting PDK Sport Chrono PLUS makes a difference over normal or regualr sport mode. The shifts become even more positive and faster.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:16 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

For you guys that say you do not have SC+ and you do not miss it....how do you miss something you never had?

Put is to you all this way....if my wife wanted a Porsche she would get PDK and she would never drive the car like a sports car thus she would never push the sport or sport plus button. So if you guys drive the car just for it's looks and not it's performance then I can see where you would not care or even know about SC+.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

In traffic - city, commuting, stop and go, Normal is the way to go for me. In flowing traffic, I use Sport and push the shock absorber button to keep the suspension in normal mode, I have sport PASM BTW. Sport locks out 7th which is a little to fuel efficient for free flowing traffic. Sport Plus is strictly for track and I never use it in normal driving. I think I could live without sport plus even on the track. Lauch Control is a useless affectation in my mind.

Best,
Old 05-15-2009, 12:27 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mdrums
Todd, even when manually shifting PDK Sport Chrono PLUS makes a difference over normal or regualr sport mode. The shifts become even more positive and faster.
That's the confusion as 2 dealers told me that LC aside, SC does NOT make a PDK car "faster".
Old 05-15-2009, 12:29 PM
saltydawg
Advanced

As always, a variety of different opinions. I have PDK with SC and I personally would not buy a PDK car without SC.

The normal auto mode is programmed to maximize fuel economy and you can really feel it. 6th gear at 30 mph in a heartbeat. Granted, you can drive in manual mode eliminating this effect but part of the PDK technology that you are paying $4000 for is the ability to drive the car with programmed shifting when you want to. The PDK in standard auto mode is great for commuting and highway driving but it's a very dull drive.

I am simply of the mindset that if you are spending 100K on a car and spending 4K on an optional manumatic transmission, then the additional $1300 for the SC is an absolute no brainer to maximize the potential of the PDK. I also recognize there are deals to be had on launch cars without SC. Personally I could not live without the ability to maximize this manumatic transmission even if I saved an additional
10K. Penny wise and pound foolish in my mind.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:54 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I can't wait try to my SC out in my new C2S cab!!! And, then I probably won't use it. I think it will arrive in 2 weeks or so...
Old 05-15-2009, 06:59 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Let me also add that besides my C2S I dove a PDK equiped C2 and C2S at the Porsche Sport driving school. neither car had SC and both were outstanding on the track.... I still can't find a need for Sc

Quick Reply: would i regret pdk carrera without sc?