Sponsored by:

A quick new owner update and pix

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 01:51 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 136 Posts

Just measure the bottom of it,--the bottom left and bottom right (not counting the 4 and S) should be at 39.5 mm from the bottom of the deck lid...or was that 45mm? Well,--you get the idea! It looks just fine! Congratulations on the rarest of the rare.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:56 AM
jyslou
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigDouggieDoug
Whoa ... so these really do exist??!!!!

Yeah it's the Crate & Barrel Edition.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:59 AM
jyslou
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Just measure the bottom of it,--the bottom left and bottom right (not counting the 4 and S) should be at 39.5 mm from the bottom of the deck lid...or was that 45mm? Well,--you get the idea! It looks just fine! Congratulations on the rarest of the rare.
Thanks Dan. That's just what I'm going to go down to the garage to do right now. Be right back....

Last edited by jyslou; 05-16-2009 at 04:01 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:15 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jyslou
That's just what I'm going to go down to the garage to do right now. Be right back....
If you subtract the two vertical distances you measure and divide that by the span of your measurements (the horizontal distance from your two vertical reference points of measurement) and use that quotient to calculate the arc tangent, you'll arrive at the approximate angle that the script is off by.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:47 AM
BigDouggieDoug
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the slant was how it's supposed to be, so that the word "targa" would be inline with the number "4". But, in the stock photos on porscheusa.com, they seem to be completely horizontal. I think it looks good either way.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:49 AM
jyslou
Instructor

That's just what I'm going to go down to the garage to do right now. Be right back....
OK, here's the result of my investigation:

Using the top edge of the red reflector bar as the reference...

- the "t" is at roughly 25mm from it's closest point to the red bar.
- the "a" is roughly at 30mm from it's closest point to the red bar.

Standing back from it, the cursive font style and the larger "4S" font size make it harder to see the flaw in totality. But yes, I can now see that slight variation of the targa script.

So that does it! I can accept the accessive oil consumption, the impending sludge build-up, the squeaks, the rattles, even the mismatched amber side markers. But this is too much to take. I'm returning this lemon to the dealer for a full refund!

Last edited by jyslou; 05-16-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:00 AM
jyslou
Instructor

Originally Posted by keninirvine
OK, since you invited other photos, here is my T4S, GT Silver, Champion RG5B wheels, clear side markers, removed rear script. I would have preferred your color, but am happy with the GT Silver too. Enjoy!
Very nice. Thanks for sharing your pictures. That looks really sharp. Love those wheels.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:11 AM
jyslou
Instructor

Originally Posted by OCBen
If you subtract the two vertical distances you measure and divide that by the span of your measurements (the horizontal distance from your two vertical reference points of measurement) and use that quotient to calculate the arc tangent, you'll arrive at the approximate angle that the script is off by.
umm... I didnt follow your instructions OCBen because my head started to hurt just reading the words "quotient" and "arc tangent" ... ouch, hurts me to type it too.

I appreciate your instructions, your interest and certainly your unfounded faith in my mathematical abilities.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:12 AM
OCBen
Banned

OK, here's the result of my investigation:

Using the top edge of the red reflector bar as the reference:

- the "t" is at roughly 25mm from it's closest point to the red bar.
- the "a" is roughly at 30mm from it's closest point to the red bar.
Scaling your photo, and using your first measurement as the baseline reference, the span measurement is approximately 150 mm.

That means the logo script is off by approx arctan (5/150) = 1.9°

I think it'll look better with the model designation completely off, as has been suggested.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:13 AM
OCBen
Banned

umm... I didnt follow your instructions OCBen because my head started to hurt just reading the words "quotient" and "arc tangents" ... ouch, hurts me to type it too.
Just did it for you.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:23 AM
jyslou
Instructor

Originally Posted by OCBen
Just did it for you.
Wow. Thank you!

And very very close to your guestimation earlier... "about 2° from horizontal."
Old 05-16-2009, 03:52 AM
jyslou
Instructor

I think it looks good either way.
Thanks BDD. I agree. Thanks for checking.

BTW, nice avatar. That is on our list for this year.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:31 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Thanks! What do you mean "clean/wax"?

The car is a month old so I havent done anything more than have it hand washed at a local place where I get my Audi's washed. I've applied one coat of McGuire Gold (something or other) liquid wax. Maybe I'll apply another coat of wax near the end of the summer. Nothing fancy.
WHAT? the car is already a month old and you have not waxed, polished, cleaned, clay-barred, Zaino'd, rejeX'd and shampoo'd it 10 times !?

PS I use Zaino products, love them
Old 05-16-2009, 01:45 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm really impressed with this color, especially as it comes across as liquid metal in some of the photos. Also, I didn't know the targa had such a nice butt, even in a garage!
Old 05-16-2009, 02:38 PM
OCBen
Banned

I think it looks good either way.
Thanks BDD. I agree.
Sorry to break up the harmony party, guys, but I think it looks really bad. It would be totally unacceptable to me to live with that defect on an otherwise beautiful car.

What that crooked emblem says is that quality control at the Stuttgart factory is not what it used to be. They use jigs for mounting emblems precisely, and apparently someone either didn't use one while mounting this one or was careless in using it and really didn't care that he didn't get the alignment right (he had no personal commitment to quality - no pride in workmanship - and that's where quality begins, with individual pride in workmanship). The inspector responsible for checking this stage may have been gabbing on his cellphone and missed it, as did the subsequent inspectors at each point of inspection. Just another breakdown of the quality control system.

But this is minor compared to some of the more egregious screwups that have come out of Stuttgart. I'm reminded of the 6-speed that came equipped with a tip steering wheel - a tip steering wheel - that wasn't caught until the car was delivered!

Anyway, a crooked emblem reflects negatively on the quality of the final product and on the Porsche marque in general. Anybody who spots the crooked emblem might think to themselves that quality is slipping at Porsche - and rightly so. They might also wonder what else might be suffering from quality issues underneath the pretty skin.

So in a general sense it diminishes the perceived value of the brand to outsiders, and in this sense it affects us all who own these cars. But that's just my opinion.

Quick Reply: A quick new owner update and pix