Sponsored by:

after 4 weeks in the Porsche, newbie has a revelation

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 06:30 PM
V-Vo/t
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default after 4 weeks in the Porsche, newbie has a revelation

These cars are too fun! I never thought I would track my car, but have realized that there is no point in having it if not going to use it at the track. I find myself constantly wanting to explore its capabilities beyond what would be safe on the street.
Besides a good helmet and a safety check, is there anything I have to do to the car before getting it on the track?

Sean
Old 05-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Deansdream
Three Wheelin'

Received 462 Likes on 208 Posts

No, that's it; if you go out w/a PCA region, you'll just need an approved helmet and a tech inspection prior to going to the track. They'll give you an instructor to ride along with you who will start to teach you the line, etc. It will help to get a map and watch a video of the track you'll be going out on. Most regions seem to have good intro's to their DE programs. I found Riesenttoters very helpful.

You'll have a great time. Only downside, you'll get the bug and be spending weekends and $'s at the track.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Jetpilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hang on...it's a slippery slope.................
Old 05-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Deansdream
No, that's it; if you go out w/a PCA region, you'll just need an approved helmet and a tech inspection prior to going to the track. They'll give you an instructor to ride along with you who will start to teach you the line, etc. It will help to get a map and watch a video of the track you'll be going out on. Most regions seem to have good intro's to their DE programs. I found Riesenttoters very helpful.

You'll have a great time. Only downside, you'll get the bug and be spending weekends and $'s at the track.
Originally Posted by Jetpilot
Hang on...it's a slippery slope.................
Yeah, what they said!
Old 05-03-2009, 08:19 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sean,
Your local PCA chapter should have a guide book posted on their website. If not, get in touch with me and I'll point you to our Connecticut Valley Region (CVR) site where a "how to" is posted. There's plenty you will want to bring with you, such as lots of water (not coffee, soda, so-called energy drinks, etc.), sunscreen, healthy food, etc. If you really know your car, and it is sound, then a quick tech inspection a couple of weeks before the event should be fine (and your form will need to be signed / stamped). If you aren't sure of you car, have it really checked out by a shop that knows what to look for in preparing a car for the track (ie: brakes, alignment, etc.). It's amazing what a good Porsche shop can tell from a spirited drive. Again, you aren't preparing for racing, but you want to be sure your car is sound and safe. If you do some searching here and in the Racing / Drivers Education you'll find dozens if not hundreds of posts asking this question and plenty of advice to go around.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:51 PM
V-Vo/t
Advanced

Found my loca PCA chapter. Lots of info on their site. Seems like Miller Motorsports track outside Salt Lake will be a good place to start. Thanks for everyones input.

Will anything happen to my waranty if I track the car? I assume it would be ok if I stay within the cars normal limits, but want to make sure. Also, any special insurance needed to track the cars?

Sean
Old 05-03-2009, 09:40 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Local PCA chapter is a good place to start
If you keep it within it's limits, a warranty claim should not be an issue..except if you do a money shift.
As far as insurance, you are most liklely on you own as most policys exclude coverage on a track, timed or not.

Consider attending PSDS Porsche Sport Driving School
Click ME!
Best two days you can do!
Exceptional Track Barber Motorsports Park
Exceptional Instruction!

A long list of Rennlisters have attended and can vouch for how good it is, regardless of experience level
Old 05-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Local PCA chapter is a good place to start
If you keep it within it's limits, a warranty claim should not be an issue..except if you do a money shift.
As far as insurance, you are most liklely on you own as most policys exclude coverage on a track, timed or not.

Consider attending PSDS Porsche Sport Driving School
Click ME!
Best two days you can do!
Exceptional Track Barber Motorsports Park
Exceptional Instruction!

A long list of Rennlisters have attended and can vouch for how good it is, regardless of experience level
Excellent advice.
I read Brian's rants about PSDS for a long time and then finally signed up. Everything he says about it is spot on. I've spent 7 days at PSDS and will no doubt go back for more.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:31 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

First off, do not count on any of our advice when it comes to legal matters. That would include warranty claims or insurance. You have to do your own homework on that point. Some dealers are "PCA DE friendly" and others may not be. You can ask yours in the following manner "I heard about the PCA Drivers Education, do you think that would be a problem for my car as it relates to warranty?" If your dealer is like most, I think the advice would be "As long as you don't abuse the car..." Many dealers encourage DE, provide the tech inspections for no charge (sign and stamp the forms), etc. As to insurance, there are probably 100 threads on this here at the forum. Search on "insurance" and perhaps "DE" and you'll find plenty of reading. In many cases, DE is specifically not excluded, meaning if you damage your car during DE the claim must be covered. Some complain that while that may be true, you will probably be dropped if you file a claim. I know two people who have filed on their normal insurance and neither was dropped. You have a copy of your insurance policy, so take a look and see what the exclusions are. Most fall into 1 of 2 categories: Any and all driving on anything that looks like a race track is not covered, or (like mine), racing or other timed events (ie: Auto Cross) is not covered, meaning DE is covered. In either case, if you aren't comfortable with normal coverage or if DE is excluded, there are a few DE policies out there. Last I remember, they cost something in the range of $350 and up per event - so a $195 DE can start to get very expensive. But, if you don't have coverage, then it's pretty much a "must have" if you are putting a $100k car out there. I never worry about my driving, but rather things outside of my control (I've seen it all - dumped coolant, oil, parts, birds, animals, cones, etc. -- all caused incidents or near incidents). Again, a search on these subjects will get you specifics.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:08 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RonCT
...I never worry about my driving, but rather things outside of my control (I've seen it all - dumped coolant, oil, parts, birds, animals, cones, etc. -- all caused incidents or near incidents)...
I have also had the itch to try DE but that's why I don't. I don't want to damage my like-new 997. Besides if I am going to learn to drive on the track I think it would make more sense to start with something more docile, not a $100K Autobahn rocket. I wish now that I hadn't traded in my MINI Cooper S and instead kept it as a track toy.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:23 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Honestly, I find the track safer to drive my Porsches than the roads. Just understand that things can happen and if they do you want to be sure you are covered. You don't want to assume anything and then end up having an incident only to find out you aren't covered. In my case, I'm fully covered and my dealer assures me that as long as I don't "blow a shift" or abuse the car (which I don't), warranty will not be an issue. I'd never buy a $100k Porsche and not drive it on the track - don't see the point in doing that. If I wanted a comfortable car for the road, it wouldn't be a Porsche.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:45 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,701 Likes on 1,429 Posts

Originally Posted by _Nathan
I have also had the itch to try DE but that's why I don't. I don't want to damage my like-new 997. Besides if I am going to learn to drive on the track I think it would make more sense to start with something more docile, not a $100K Autobahn rocket. I wish now that I hadn't traded in my MINI Cooper S and instead kept it as a track toy.
Catch 22. You're right - it makes sense to start with something less expensive however we buy these cars because of what they can do (most of us anyway...) yet unless we take them on the track there is no way to really find out what they can do.

We can't always control what else is happening around us either on the road or on the track. But on the track at least everyone is going the same way and as the driver how hard you go is the over-riding factor on the risk.

Personally I've been competing for over 30 years, and have written off a decent car in that time but that would never stop me taking my 997 out on the track. I had it at Phillip Island a couple of weeks ago, which as anyone who follows MotoGP knows is a very fast open circuit (top speed seen was in the order of 140mph with another 3 100mph+ corners). What a buzz. Best road car experience on a track ever. Magic. I'll be back for sure.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:14 AM
dgcate
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by V-Vo/t
These cars are too fun! I never thought I would track my car, but have realized that there is no point in having it if not going to use it at the track. I find myself constantly wanting to explore its capabilities beyond what would be safe on the street.
Besides a good helmet and a safety check, is there anything I have to do to the car before getting it on the track?

Sean
After a year of ownership (and alot of attention from the law) I was ready to sell my car, when I came to the same conclusion as you. I knew it was not a good use of money (for me) using this car for errands or basic transportation (for that matter). So I "took the plung" and made the decision..."I'm taking this car to the track, it's my money, I can do with it what I want, and I'm going to use it to use this car for what I want to use it for. I'm tracking it."

It's changed the way I look at the car. It's functional again! Going to the track has "freed" up my attitude about this car alot. It's no longer a frustration, it's a real usable toy!!! I've only got about a half dozen track days, and it's a hassle for me to get to there from where I live, but everything "falls into place" once I am there. All I think about is how fortunate I've been (and am) to have this thing and to be doing what I'm doing with it.

I don't know about the insurance. My attitude is that, when it comes right down to it, if it comes to it, I can afford to lose the car if I have to.. I feel like it's money better spent to track it than not to track it. (plus, did I say it's fun )

Have fun. Drive safe.

Dave

half of the fun's the people I've met also. Everyone seems to be nearly as crazy as I am!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:26 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

gt3 seats, 6 point harness... and rollbar. Oh.. pss10's, upgraded pads and SSK. R comp tires...and oh sell your car and get a gt3... then mod that.... oh and....
Old 05-06-2009, 08:06 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Great point Dave, something I experienced myself. When I got an E46M3 in 2003, my wife was worried. But as soon as it was broken in I was at BMWCCA DE and never looked back. I "save it for the track" and on the street have no need to try to "prove" the capabilities of the car (or driver). Even on the way home from a day on Lime Rock, where the twisty roads are intoxicating, I don't have the urge to push the car. Just a relaxed drive home knowing just what we did together earlier on the track. Really is amazing. But the real world benefit is the skill set you acquire from DE. I've avoided so many accidents since I started because I have much better peripheral vision, reaction, and sense of dynamics to know where the car needs to be in order to avoid hitting something (even squirrels, raccoons, etc.).

Quick Reply: after 4 weeks in the Porsche, newbie has a revelation