Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repair or Replace Bumper? (Repost from OT)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Gerg
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Repair or Replace Bumper? (Repost from OT)

Repost from Off Topic:

Your experience/knowledge please. My '05 997 C2s got bumped in the passenger side rear corner, leaving a baseball-size dent, no perforations. Basically, the plastic, or whatever material it is, bumper was pushed in at the corner. The body shop estimate included a new bumper, and the estimator said they don't repair them, just replace - $2,800 total. The insurance adjuster said repair the bumper - $850. They will heat it to reform, then add "filler", and repaint. Should I hold out for a new bumper? Do I have any say in the repair over the insurance company's decision to repair vs. replace? I am concerned about resale value, the looks, and longevity of repairing. Am I "overthinking" this issue? Thanks for you help...car is at the shop, and I need to make a decision today.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Had the same happen to me in the exact same spot. My bumper cracked slightly and progressive insurance would not pay for a new one. I have a paint to sample and was scared they would not be able to duplicate the paint....long story short I took the 895.00 put it my pocket and did no repair at all. I figure the repair would be worse than the ding.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:26 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Your insurance adjuster is an idiot - either that or your insurance company is miserly cheap.

Insist on getting the bumper cover replaced - no, demand that they replace it and do it properly. If they balk, insist on taking your case all the way up the corporate ladder and make a big stink about it. Believe me, they'll rather replace it than risk a lot of commotion over this, especially if it leads to negative publicity.

What's the name of your insurance company, btw?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Gerg
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Progressive. I have four cars and two bikes with them.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:34 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a small, barely perceptible ding in my front bumper cover and Mercury didn't hesitate to replace it, realizing that a repair will always look like a repair.

Quick Reply: Repair or Replace Bumper? (Repost from OT)