Sponsored by:

something is draining by battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:58 AM
JackQ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default something is draining by battery

My OEM battery has been getting week and finally died. I installed a new battery, made a short test drive and parked the car. Two days later the car was completely dead, so I fully charged the car drove it and all seemed fine. Two days later total dead, I replaced the battery again knowing that it may not be the cause but after totally draining it I wanted a fresh battery.

So I put the replacment new battery on the bench and charged it with a ctek battery maintainer. After overnight the charger went into maintenance mode as was expected. I put the battery in car, and since I did not plan on driving it for a day or so, I put the charger on. I was expecting it to quickly switch from bulk charging mode to maintenance mode, but it did not! Now after 24 hours it still has not switched to maintenance mode.

Obviously something is putting a larger than normal draw on the battery. I plan on pulling the fuses one by one in an attempt to isolate the cause. The car is still under warrantee, but the closest dealer is 2hr away so I would like to solve the issue if it is something simple or at least narrow the possible cause before handing it over to the dealer. Any suggestions.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Sadiq
Pro

sorry i can't help, but where in MD are you? who is your closest dealer? I just moved to fairfax and HBL is my closest dealer - if I believe the horror stories on these boards, I am not in for a treat...
Old 05-01-2009, 11:20 AM
JackQ
Advanced

I am in Southern Maryland (south of Leonardtown, south of Saint Mary's city) If i was any farther south I would be in Virginia. Anyway, I have used the dealer in Annapolis. They are very new but my one service with them went well and they are helpful.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:21 PM
leneuromancer
Advanced

had a similar issue, for mine, it was the cable from the alternator to the battery not supplying enough current to sufficiently charge the battery - warranty item
Old 05-01-2009, 09:13 PM
JackQ
Advanced

I have narrowed down the issue by removing fuse by fuse, it looks like the CD/radio/PCM is the drain. I recently had a CD that would not eject. I wonder if the CD is stuck because of a failure in the unit or the stucks CD is causing the system to draw current.

Quick Reply: something is draining by battery