Sponsored by:

Turbo comments

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 04:45 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Yes Mike I flew them in the Air Force for many years. After 400 or so combat missions over multiple tours in VietNam I taught Air to Air combat. Finally quit flying two years ago( I had my own acrobatic airplane) when they discovered Macular Degeneration in both eyes , oh well I flew for over 43 years total and had a great time. Besides the C2S ( maybe a turbo, but beginning to think more towards the toy for my Son) this is my stress breaker. That is my white '83 Sc on Harris Hill Raceway
The turbo is still a player though, just got to find the right one
Cool...thanks...sent ou a PM so I would not hi-jack this thread.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:50 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I went from a 997 cab, to a 997 Targa 4S, to a 997.2 coupe to an '09 Turbo. Liked every single one of them. Simply wanted to experience the differences each provided.

The Turbo is a great car. Easy to drive with lots of power...when you want it. Feels very similar to tapping full AB. Can also tool around off boost all day long.

Seems to be a good amount of low mileage '07 and '08 turbos out there. Give one a drive.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:13 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

The Turbo is heavy. Compared to a Carrera S 300-400lb heavier, depending on options. Of course the engine more than compensates on a straight line, but the extra mass (the equivalent of 2 extra people or 7 suitcases) is felt on twisty roads driven fast.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:52 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CBejbl
I went from a 997 cab, to a 997 Targa 4S, to a 997.2 coupe to an '09 Turbo. Liked every single one of them. Simply wanted to experience the differences each provided.

The Turbo is a great car. Easy to drive with lots of power...when you want it. Feels very similar to tapping full AB. Can also tool around off boost all day long.

Seems to be a good amount of low mileage '07 and '08 turbos out there. Give one a drive.
Few of us have had the luxury of owning such a variety of recent models, although I did have a 05 C2S cab and now have an 07 T4S. Looking back now, which one was your favorite, or can we assume the TT is?
Old 04-30-2009, 08:25 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

Jack,
go for it! think the consensus says yes, so....what color are you getting? I really like the Turbo in Orange but as you know I'm partial to Speed Yellow
Old 04-30-2009, 09:08 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I recently went from my 05 997S to my first TT (09), previously always had NA cars. I had been set on ordering a new 2010 GT3 (and in theory I am still #1 on my dealer's list). Despite my age (60), I have young kids (7 + 4) and having back seats is mandatory for me - something possible though not cheap or easy with a GT3 - and that, probably combined with impatience, led me to decide a TT was more practical and, in theory (at least with a few mods), could do everything a GT3 could do. (I don't track, so a lot of that is really theoretical, but if I could commute in a 917 I might like that!)

After two months (and not reaching breakin until Saturday, so haven't really tested the full potential of the TT:

1. I am still getting used to the 4WD and the extra weight. I might prefer the more nimble feeling of RWD and a GT3 - but maybe its just a matter of aclimating myself a little more.

2. The TT makes a very nice DD and cruising car (what my main use is).

3. The TT is a frickin rocket ship when you want it to be - again I have barely experienced this yet since I am being cautious during breakin, but I am certainly aware of the potential. This is, of course, the biggest selling point (comparing to an NA S), and when you stomp on the gas, it is somewhat mind blowing!

So even though I still sometimes yearn for that GT3 (can I have one of those too???), I think I made the right choice for me, and I love the TT.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:11 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I want a C4s cab...do you think the turbo cab would be better considering what car I have now? 500hp?
Old 04-30-2009, 09:36 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DRJMK
I want a C4s cab...do you think the turbo cab would be better considering what car I have now? 500hp?
Just a lot more torque but a C4S is plenty fast too. Go test drive both, dealers are pretty lonely now...
Old 04-30-2009, 10:46 PM
jackolo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's always harder to be moving up the ladder then going down. I know this is subjective when comparing the two but if you have a chance, try out the turbo. If you don't like it as much, it shouldn't be too difficult to move back down. The 911 Turbo is my "attainable dream car". I love my Targa but I'm very eager to see what ownership of a Turbo is like, whether new or used.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:39 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If I were 67 with an eye problem that will get worse, I would leave my kids a turbo. Get it while you are able to enjoy it.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:54 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by sclemmons
If I were 67 with an eye problem that will get worse, I would leave my kids a turbo. Get it while you are able to enjoy it.
And put a bumper sticker on it that says "I'm spending my kids inheritance"!
Old 05-01-2009, 01:18 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

In fact I'm thinking of buying my son a Mazda Miata who is now mature enough at 40 to safely enjoy it.
You are a good man, my friend. However, one who's suffering from macular degeneration, my advice is run to your local dealer and order your damn turbo. Get it exactly as you want (with consultation from your mature 40 yr od ). And scratch that turbo off the bucket list. dave, who's now 51 and attacking his own list.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:09 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes I know this is not the turbo form. I currently have a '09 C2S that I am very happy with BUT as part of my "bucketlist' I have always thought of driving (translated as owning) a turbo, if only because it is the most powerful 911. Have owned a GT3 and unfortunately it had a sad ending of sorts. So the question: has anyone gone from a C2S to a turbo or the other way and if so why. Also the pros and cons generally of the turbo. I will answer the most obvious question up front, do I need one? NO. Can I fully exploit the power of the turbo? NO. Then why.... because I'm 67 have an eye problem that will only get worse and think I want one . That is certainly not a logical or practical answer .. so back to your comments. Thanks Jack
hey F4 plt, I think every Porschephile has to own a Turbo at some point. Had 3 myself and loved them. Having said that there are pros and cons... It's heavier, cushier, steering/clutch are as far away from the GT3 you had as one can get. Numb. Feels a lot more like a big SL Merc. Those are the cons. The pros... well it's a torque-machine for the straight line.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:27 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
... there are pros and cons... It's heavier, cushier, steering/clutch are as far away from the GT3 you had as one can get. Numb. Feels a lot more like a big SL Merc. Those are the cons. The pros... well it's a torque-machine for the straight line.
Exactly right. And because IMO Porsches are far more than straight line driving, I prefer lighter Porsches.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Exactly right. And because IMO Porsches are far more than straight line driving, I prefer lighter Porsches.
Sorry guys, the Twin Turbo is a bit more than a straight line performer. I've had 3 other 911's and I think the TT handles just fine on the street. If you're talking about tracking the car that may be another topic. I can assure you it's not a problem in the handling department. My neighbor has a new F430 and I could easily smoke that car in the twisties. IMO...

Quick Reply: Turbo comments