Sponsored by:

997 targa roof issues? (noise)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 03:47 PM
triman
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 targa roof issues? (noise)

Currently have a 05 C2 Cab, and am contemplating getting an 07 or 08 Targa. Drove my friend's 08 Targa C4S (16K mi) today and noticed a pretty good squeak from the rear window. Is this common? Coming from an M5 I am annoyed by the little squeaks and creaks from my cab https://rennlist.com/forums/graemlins/banghead.gif and don't want to have the same annoyances If I get a newer Porsche. Looking for feedback from Targa owners out there. In general it seems the Porsches I have driven all have increased cabin noise compared to BMW, Audi, MB, etc. Is this something I need to get over if I am to become a lifelong p-car owner?
Old 04-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want less squeaks and creeks, get a coupe. Then you only need to worry about internal noise from dashboard /console/speaker squeaks.

Every movable item adds a location that can shift and squeak:
Roof on the Cab/Targa
Back hatch on the Targa

That holds for all car models.. especially those that are light.
If one buys a heavy luxury car, the maker can beef up things to quite and control the parts.

On a light weight sports car, you cannot have both.

The stiff body means our crappy roads transmit those irregularities to movements of the whole car, and all the bits that can move, do.

Porsche is a sports car designed to be light, and responsive. Totally different than what a sporty BMW, Mercedes Benz or Audi is designed for with a very few points of exception.

On a 911 you get a lot of road and tire noise. Thats the way it is. If you want a quiet interior to listen to classical music in, a sports car is not for you, get a luxury sedan.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:47 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I had great service at Rusnak Porsche in Westlake when I took my Targa in for the squeeks....they told me it was a Targa "live with it". They made no effort to look into it.
So, I have lived with it....I also decided to do my own service too!
abe

Last edited by abe; 04-29-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:22 PM
NJtarga4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have introductory 07 Targa. Some squeaks and rattles but took it to dealer and they worked to improve them. The sunlight that enters the car is worth the noise. Everyone makes their own choice
Old 04-29-2009, 09:36 PM
jackolo
Advanced

I love the Targa... but yes, there are plenty of squeaks. I live with it. It's a sports car. I didn't buy it for reduced cabin noise and comfortable ride.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:07 AM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have occasional squeaks in the roof panel- I haven't yet been able to isolate the problem other than it seems more common on less smooth roads. No noises from the rear hatch. It doesn't bother me at all- the natural light coming through the roof makes up for it a hundred times over, whether observing overhead foliage and clouds out in the country or buildings towering overhead in the city. I would buy it again no hesitation.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:26 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I mainly agree with the others here. Our Porsches won't be as quiet inside as larger cars that have more insulation. Look at the size of our tires. When I drive on highways with very coarse pavement, the noise level is very high. But on smoother roads it is ok. I've learned to accept it as the price to pay for the other characteristics of the car. But it can be tiring in some situations, especially longer trips on coarse pavement.

My Targa, now with 14000 miles, has had very few instances of squeaks, and has no rattles. Lately it hasn't squeaked at all for a number of weeks. When it does get to the point that the squeaking doesn't stop on its own after a mile or 2, I clean off the weatherstrip edges on the front and rear edges of the sliding glass roof, and that typically ends it for a while. I expect it is impacted by weather conditions, and it seems the southern California climate is friendly to it, at least here in this part of Orange County. I think with a little care and attention, the squeaks can be managed quite easily. I would say the squeak you heard in your friend's car could likely be fixed by applying a little silicone spray on the rubber at the back of the sunroof panel. GL with your decision.

Last edited by KeninBlaine; 04-30-2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: added miles
Old 04-30-2009, 02:55 AM
richc
Pro

No squeaks - '08 Targa.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:30 PM
jjl
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

i love the Targa, but i don't buy that Targa owners should have to simply live with the squeeks. This goes double for rattles. I think Porsche should be able to engineer and build a Targa that doesn't suffer from what sounds like fairly common squeeks, especially given the prices they charge. Incessant squeeks would be enough to make me choose the coupe.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:32 PM
triman
Track Day

I hear you. It annoys me that a 95k car has squeeks and rattles. I don't find that acceptable at all. Porsche is the first 'top tier' car that I've owned that mentions this in the owner's manual and basically says it is to be expected.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:46 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

So with the Coupe the sunroof rattles. In the Targa the glass panel squeaks. And with the Cab the side windows rattle and the wind-blocker shakes. Frankly the trade-off is worth it whichever model you own. And let's face it if you can hear squeaks and rattles you;re not driving it fast enough - the engine should be drowning out any and all of those noises...
Old 05-01-2009, 01:13 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Le Chef
So with the Coupe the sunroof rattles. In the Targa the glass panel squeaks. And with the Cab the side windows rattle and the wind-blocker shakes. Frankly the trade-off is worth it whichever model you own. And let's face it if you can hear squeaks and rattles you;re not driving it fast enough - the engine should be drowning out any and all of those noises...
Love it.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:05 PM
R13
Advanced

Had a 996 Targa and the rattles, creaks and occasional false-pop drove me nuts... Great car and IMHO the most "practical" 911 ever built, but I can't imagine the 997 gen could entirely address all the structural issues of the design. Great in theory but if you're bothered by "little things" avoid the hair-dryer option!
The move to a 997C4S has been entirely rattle free.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:45 PM
RKC
1st Gear

On bad roads, there is a rattle from the sunscreen if it is extended. Retracted, it doesn't make any noise.

The glass? A squeak here or there on bad roads. Only time I had a long squeak/squeal was the day after a long road trip in the rain when the glass was squeaking against the rubber seal. Opened and closed the roof and it was gone.

Drove some cabs, and had an old 1987 Targa. New ones don't squeak at the new cab/old air-cooled Targa level, but they do squeak.

On a great day with the roof open, I don't mind (and it doesn't squeak when open). And in bad weather with it closed a squeak or two is made worth it by all the lightness and openness you feel in the cabin.

RKC
2007 Targa 4S
Old 07-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by triman
I hear you. It annoys me that a 95k car has squeeks and rattles. I don't find that acceptable at all. Porsche is the first 'top tier' car that I've owned that mentions this in the owner's manual and basically says it is to be expected.
Wait 12 months, there will be more squeaks, and it will be a $55K car!

Quick Reply: 997 targa roof issues? (noise)