Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ADDING TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:28 PM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't bother - TPMS is a pain in the ***.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:32 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 220 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by richc
Don't bother - TPMS is a pain in the ***.
+1
Old 04-24-2009, 10:54 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how is it a pain in the ***?

i have tpms on my stock wheels (2007) and my track wheels (bought a used set from a RL member) and i have no issues. while the accuracy is not as good as a good quality gauge, it works fine for me.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:36 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SILVER FOX
Michael L:
Just received a voicemail from Jesse Latin, my mechanic at Porsche of Reno (yes, a mechanic who actually researches issues and personally calls you back!). I was not here to take his call, but his message suggests that the later addition/integration of factory TPMS would be cost-prohibitive, in that it requires wiring from the vicinity of all four wheels plus transmitters etc.
I'll try to get the full requirements including costs next time I have a chance to stop and talk with Jesse in person and then will update this thread.
You'll choke when you get the costs - a receiver has to be installed in each wheel well with appropriate wiring into the onboard computer - that's in addition to the tranmitters that go in the wheels - not even sure it can be done.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:55 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brendorenn
how is it a pain in the ***?

i have tpms on my stock wheels (2007) and my track wheels (bought a used set from a RL member) and i have no issues. while the accuracy is not as good as a good quality gauge, it works fine for me.
+1
Old 04-26-2009, 04:46 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Deleted ad / link for retail offering.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:26 AM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the risk of opening old wounds I'll revive this thread. I did a search and this was the most recent thread addressing this issue I could find, but it has seemed to have died off.

I have heard the comments "it's useless" or "check the tire pressure more accurately yourself every day/week/month" or "it's not accurate" etc. However I am of the opinion it is a valuable safety feature. My 06 997 doesn't have it, but my 02 M5 does, and it has alerted me to several road-hazard caused issues more than once.

I would be very interested in adding an OEM TPMS to my car (I am also of the "keeping it factory" mindset). Besides what we already suspect- that it will be costly, is there any current factual information on feasibility and if so, cost?

Thanks.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:54 AM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TPMS saved my bacon in my almost new 2006 Cayman S. I apparently picked up a nail in my left front tire at a roadside area on I95 near the New Hampshire border. Because I was warned, I was able to pull over and get help before I noticed anything or got into serious danger. The tire was a loss because of the location of the hole but the car and I were fine.

A year or two earlier, I had a less drastic slow leak in a tire on my 2002 Audi Allroad in deepest northern Maine. I was alerted when I started the car in the morning. It was Christmas weekend and I was able to use the spare and get it fixed rather than having it fail on the road which would have been a disaster even if nothing else had gone wrong.

So count me a believer! TPMS works and gives you time to cope with a bad situation before it becomes something much worse.

Quick Reply: ADDING TPMS