Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential Modifications for Tall People: Steering Wheel Extension (?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 10:35 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
The search continues.

From the site's customer service rep, "unfortunately the steering wheel
spacer kit only fits non airbag steering wheels. Many thanks."
Thanks for checking it out.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:21 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

This might be an unusual approach, but has anyone tried reaching out to Porsche dealerships in the Netherlands to get a feel for the alternatives? Very large percentage of that population is above 6'6" vs. the USA, because of median height of around 6'2" vs. 5'10" here... and pretty wealthy country with decent Porsche sales. So I'm guessing they run into that issue for a disproportionate number of customers...

Another angle is checking dealerships that cater to NBA players... so checking the major market luxury dealers (LA, NYC)... my problem with that approach is that the NBA players can throw money at the issue.

I'm "only" 6'3" but have run into height being a limiting factor for some cars I've looked at... but the 911 actually fits me extremely well.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:55 AM
cgthanos
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't tried this, but with the hub and optional spacer, it looks like it could work well while retaining airbag function.

http://www.carnewal.com/products/340...40mm-Alcantara
Old 06-23-2015, 08:25 PM
Marauder1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't love the look of that wheel but they do indeed offer adapters:

"Cavallo Race 340mm Alcantara for 340 in Raid
This Raid steering wheel will fit any P97/P87/P96/P86/P93/P64.
Each steering wheel comes with a full size airbag and with the use of the correct adaptor it can be installed without any problem.
All the necessary hardware is included.
It is also 100% reversible to stock when necessary.

This adaptor, also called "hub" is the connection between the steering wheel and the steering column of your car.
Although the Raid makes the steering wheel sit closer to the driver, an extra spacer can be installed to bring the steering wheel even closer to the driver.
There is no model name printed on the airbag."
Old 08-19-2015, 01:10 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...997-1-gt3.html

Carnewal sells a solution for us.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:58 PM
braymond52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DPorcella
I just want to commiserate; nobody seems to think being too tall is ever a disadvantage. At 6'6" I can almost feel your pain at 6'10". Fly coach much? Me neither.

But I DO fit in a 911 with the power comfort seats (is that what you mean by "manual seats"?) I found through trial and error that the pwr seats allowed me the best seating adjustment for my height.

Sorry I can't help with the steering. My advice? Find out what the NBA players in your city drive, besides Escalades! I know Bentley convertibles are popular. Not exactly a sports car, but James Bond drove one (in the Ian Fleming books).
I'm 'only' 6'2" but I've got long legs so fitment is always an issue for me - from clothes to cars. When I was looking for my 911 I found that the manual seat cars were impossible to get comfortable in. The power seat cars with the multiple adjustability were great. I set the seat with the front as high as possible and the rear low. Doing that I don't need the seat all the way back and the steering wheel position is good. I realize your issue is with the steering wheel, but try out the power seats and play with the adjustment. You may get it to work for you.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:35 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

A revival, anybody have more experience with the carnewal part? Works on pdk steering with paddles? Or somebody has discovered a less costly alternative
Old 04-29-2017, 06:31 AM
GiacomoRS
Track Day

Hello,
I'm Giacomo from Italy, I resume this thread to let you know I did myself the spacer.
I'm an engineer and I own my little factory involved in mechanical non automotive business.
I'm 6ft tall and I also felt the need to drive with extended legs, but the steering wheel was too far from me and the telescopic adjustment was not enough.
So I've pulled out the wheel, took some dimensions and after some hours on Autocad and CNC machines I sorted out with this.
It's a spacer that makes the wheel come closer to the driver of 2"+ (5,5 cm), male and female splined, billet aluminium and steel made, direct fit between the column and the steering wheel.
No need to extend Airbag wires on 993 996 986, only the horn wires need to be cutted and extended.
The mod is reversible, if you sell the car you can pull it pull it out and everything returns like before.
It works on Tiptronic cars too, and a version for 997 987 991 981 is available.
I sell it for 200€ and I have a batch ready
Attached Images     

Last edited by GiacomoRS; 10-28-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:34 AM
GiacomoRS
Track Day

The 997 / 991 version.
Attached Images    

Last edited by GiacomoRS; 10-28-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:41 PM
Batman33
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Consider this a PSA for my fellow longfellows. (I'm 6'5"...6'9" with the 'fro.) Getting into an appropriate seat position for me in my 997 has been nigh impossible, especially for HPDE. The steering wheel is simple too far away with the seat in proper position. Reach is too far, have to twist my left knee out when using the clutch, have to explain why this is to instructers every time, etc.

I found a steering wheel extender made by "9 products" with help of this forum, I believe. It extends the steering column a good two inches. Its made in Germany and costs about UD$600, including shipping, depending on the Euro/USD exchange rate. I acquired one and installed it a few days ago.

I drove the car after installation for the first time today. Wow, what a difference. Arms are now at the proper angle, knees don't hit the wheel when operating the pedals, and as an unforseen benefit, my right hand is 2 inches closer to the shifter...makes for quicker reach over and back to the shifter. Its worth ever nickle. Can't wait to get on Summit Point's main circuit with it in a few weeks.

Disclaimer: I am not paid by, nor do I have any association otherwise with, 9 Products.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:37 PM
TXC2
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=Batman33;14558847]Consider this a PSA for my fellow longfellows. (I'm 6'5"...6'9" with the 'fro.) Getting into an appropriate seat position for me in my 997 has been nigh impossible, especially for HPDE. The steering wheel is simple too far away with the seat in proper position. Reach is too far, have to twist my left knee out when using the clutch, have to explain why this is to instructers every time, etc.

I found a steering wheel extender made by "9 products" with help of this forum, I believe. It extends the steering column a good two inches. Its made in Germany and costs about UD$600, including shipping, depending on the Euro/USD exchange rate. I acquired one and installed it a few days ago.

I drove the car after installation for the first time today. Wow, what a difference. Arms are now at the proper angle, knees don't hit the wheel when operating the pedals, and as an unforseen benefit, my right hand is 2 inches closer to the shifter...makes for quicker reach over and back to the shifter. Its worth ever nickle. Can't wait to get on Summit Point's main circuit with it in a few weeks.

Pics of the install please!
Old 10-25-2017, 11:45 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

surfed the 9products extender and that thing is 600euros... damn extensive for a piece of aluminum...hope a more reasonable option still comes up
Old 10-26-2017, 12:17 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

This is available too. if I went back to my OEM wheel I'd get this:
https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...th-airbag.html

Last edited by nwGTS; 10-26-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:30 AM
Batman33
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
surfed the 9products extender and that thing is 600euros... damn extensive for a piece of aluminum...hope a more reasonable option still comes up

It is 482 Euro, assuming you live in the US. The "600" you quote includes a value added tax applicable to Europeans, not American purchasers.

What! What? You guys thought a Porsche part was going to be cheap?
Old 10-28-2017, 11:45 AM
GiacomoRS
Track Day

Originally Posted by slicky rick
it does

Quick Reply: Potential Modifications for Tall People: Steering Wheel Extension (?)