Sponsored by:

New member and new Porsche (pt1)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 05:10 AM
jyslou
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1996993coupe
Congrats on your new Targa 4S. Love that widebody!
Thank you. Was really struggling whether to go lighter with the hardcore C2S or not, but I just had to have this wider body look. Very happy with my choice of the wider body 4s. And the AWD will be useful in the winter around here. I plan to test Porsche's claim that these beauties are all year round everyday super cars.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:34 AM
jyslou
Instructor

Originally Posted by shahrukh_bakar
Love those wheels and congrats on your car!
Thank you. I (now) love these wheels too ... but originally when I was first spec'ing out the car I didn't liked these Turbo wheels at all. I prefered the "Sport Design" wheels because they looked closest to the multispoked OZ wheels used in GT racing (I know, a real bitch to clean but I was willing to do the time). I was planning on asking the dealer to switch them.

But then I saw these wheels in person and was immediatelly sold. It just fit the whole color scheme:

1) The wheels had the same organic silver spokes that echoed the silver arch on the roof line of the Targa.

2) The inside of the wheels are pained dark grey similar to the car's meteor grey body color.

3) And finally, the 5 spokes allow more visibility to the red brakes, as they go well with the red tail lights.

I couldn't be happier!
Old 04-14-2009, 05:44 AM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome to RL.
Great car and lovely pics.
If I still lived in Michigan I would choose the new Targa as well.
Enjoy!
Old 04-14-2009, 05:56 AM
sdw999
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jyslou
Thanks for the advice and for the compliment. I'm just very lucky on all counts.

Honestly, my wife was pushing me to go for the Turbo. She liked the vents and the tail wing. My main reason for not going Turbo was the engine sound and the fact that I would be in jail that much faster.

And on a side note, now that you've stated that your wife looks like mine, you have to post a picture of her with your car. You can't just leave it like this! LOL.
HA HA, I will see what I can do. She is super private, so I'm not sure she would be too happy with me if I posted any pictures of her on line. She has been on t.v. a few times in the last six months, she works in the fashion industry, so I will see about sending you a PM with a video link or something. It really is uncanny how similar our wives look.

I have been toying with the idea of moving up to a turbo myself. Current ride is a 997 C2S Basalt Black, 2006. My wife always asks me why I need a turbo with all that power living here in the city. Needless to say, she is not a car person, so you are lucky your wife actually has some interest in your car. Although, my wife did mention how much she liked the targa when I was doing some tire kicking a few years back.

Either way, from the looks of it, I'd say we are both super lucky. Let me see what I can dig up and I will shoot you a PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:49 AM
jlinmd
Racer

That's hot! Congrats! The Turbo wheels work really well with Meteor Grey. Drive in good health!
Old 04-14-2009, 10:01 AM
jjl
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Love the T4S, it would be 997 of choice. Care to post more driving impressions of your new car? Any squeeks or rattles coming from the targa top? Congrats, and enjoy.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:06 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice!
Old 04-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Gnslngr
Intermediate

Beautiful car. Congrats! Targas are not often seen, even on the North Shore. I'll probably see you around!
Old 04-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Welcome to the CPPDC (Chicago's Porsche Pothole Dodger's Club). Great car, great shots. Now you just need to get clear side markers and you're all set.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:08 PM
mstams
Racer

Congrats. Great color choice on the Targa. Thought about it myself but decided on the 4S coupe instead for fear of rattles.

Sounds like my wife is similar to yours. She loves Audi's as well. Just upgraded her A6 to an S6 last week. That V-10 sure has a great sound.

Now we both have cars we love.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

Welcome aboard! By the few boats in the marina I'm guessing it's still REALLY cold up there!
Old 04-14-2009, 08:29 PM
jyslou
Instructor

Originally Posted by jjl
Love the T4S, it would be 997 of choice. Care to post more driving impressions of your new car? Any squeeks or rattles coming from the targa top? Congrats, and enjoy.
Thank you. Driving impressions, hmm... I'll start with the usual accolades: Turns on rails and brakes like the hand of God.

In terms of engine sound: I would say the DFI engine sounds more gutteral vs the 2008. I test drove both engines back to back, the 2009 DFI and a 2008 with sports exhaust. I liked the sound of the DFI better even over the 2008 Sport Exhaust, less tinny (quite surprising). I initially wanted the sport exhaust for the new 2009 DFI but just cannot get used to the fugliness of those new end pipes. Guess I'll just have to bug everyone here about AWE or GMG or _(any other suggestions?)_.

In terms of squeaks and rattles: I have a simple pov... if I wanted pure silence, I would have gotten a Lexus. If I wanted interior opulence, I would have gotten another Audi. If I want a pure driver centric machine, BINGO! I believe Targas are stiffer than cabs but less stiff than coupes, but I can live with that. The glove box has a squeak that comes and goes with the temperature. And with the freezing Chicago rain these last few days, I'm certain the roof is not leaking, yet. Things are looking good going on week two!
Old 04-14-2009, 08:33 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats!!

Targa's are great cars - nothing like them. Wait until your first summer full moon.

Best of luck!

PS: A nice mod for the wide-bodies are the spacers (as they fill out - not up -the wheel wells a bit better). Did it for mine as my Dealer does it for just about all the 4s, and it looks good. Just in case you have a few extra $ burning your pockets...
Old 04-14-2009, 08:58 PM
jyslou
Instructor

Originally Posted by cello
Congrats!!

Targa's are great cars - nothing like them. Wait until your first summer full moon.

Best of luck!

PS: A nice mod for the wide-bodies are the spacers (as they fill out - not up -the wheel wells a bit better). Did it for mine as my Dealer does it for just about all the 4s, and it looks good. Just in case you have a few extra $ burning your pockets...
Thanks Cello. I was actually just thinking about the spacers last night. I wondered if it would look better. Well, now i have an answer. Can you show me a picture of what your car looks like with/without it? (or maybe I should just do an archive search...) Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:02 PM
MrMetrx
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats and Welcome!!!

Outstanding color choice and wheels. Now you have me thinking about a wheel change

Quick Reply: New member and new Porsche (pt1)