Sponsored by:

Dealer says "something let loose in the engine"

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 01:24 PM
useridchallenged
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Dealer says "something let loose in the engine"

I bring my 997 in for new brakes @ 70k miles (4 months out of warranty, 20k miles past warranty).

I'm told I need a new RMS and clutch.

After the dealer digs in a bit more, they come back and say I need a new RMS, but only a new slave cylinder (some plastic bit on the end is broken) and arm (bent) that controls the clutch. The clutch has over 50% life left in it. All good news, and I'm thinking there's way too much clutch left and I need to drive the car a bit harder.

Then the dealer tells me that the clutch slave has been superceded with a new part that needs to come from Germany. This takes about 2 weeks to get the new superceded slave.

Pretty boring and mostly routine so far, and I'm tooling around in a loaner Cayenne (big and slow) from the dealer.

Then I get the call: "there's oil pouring out of your engine, a hole in your valve cover, and something let loose in the engine". As it turns out, they put in the new slave, replaced the RMS, put it all together and took the car out for a test drive to make sure everything was okay. They heard a "sound" come from the rear of the car, but didn't think much of it until they got back to the dealership to find oil pouring out of the engine. There was a hole in the valve cover that you could put your finger through.

Now the dealer is on the phone to Germany "to see what can be done." We still don't know what part of the engine "let loose".

Anyone have a similar experience of an engine failure on a 997 (due to dealer error) that is out of warranty? How was it handled? Any new engines out there? How did the new engine work out - was the car as good as new? Or not quite the same?

Holding my breath to see how "Diva" (that's the nickname for my 997 - she's got great curves and she sings) turns out.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:33 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far haven't had the "let loose" experience - I'm sorry to hear about this.

I did have clutch slave-cylinder replaced for exactly the same reason. The up-side was that the clutch now feels hugely better/lighter so I guess it must have been broken for a while.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:35 PM
jlinmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh boy...a call to Germany is never good. The techs at my dealer called Germany for help, but they eventually figured the problem out themselves. Best of luck with your car!!! I hope things will turn out ok.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:51 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

The whole dealer story is strange. But in any case if you have maintained your car, chances are PGA will give you a new engine. Since you are touching it why not replace the clutch and any needed parts (in your nickel) while they are doing it?
Old 04-11-2009, 01:52 PM
boolala
Race Car

The dealer had better start looking into the fine print of their business insurance.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts
Default Not sure how you should go about this but I'd suggest you...

Originally Posted by useridchallenged
I bring my 997 in for new brakes @ 70k miles (4 months out of warranty, 20k miles past warranty).

I'm told I need a new RMS and clutch.

After the dealer digs in a bit more, they come back and say I need a new RMS, but only a new slave cylinder (some plastic bit on the end is broken) and arm (bent) that controls the clutch. The clutch has over 50% life left in it. All good news, and I'm thinking there's way too much clutch left and I need to drive the car a bit harder.

Then the dealer tells me that the clutch slave has been superceded with a new part that needs to come from Germany. This takes about 2 weeks to get the new superceded slave.

Pretty boring and mostly routine so far, and I'm tooling around in a loaner Cayenne (big and slow) from the dealer.

Then I get the call: "there's oil pouring out of your engine, a hole in your valve cover, and something let loose in the engine". As it turns out, they put in the new slave, replaced the RMS, put it all together and took the car out for a test drive to make sure everything was okay. They heard a "sound" come from the rear of the car, but didn't think much of it until they got back to the dealership to find oil pouring out of the engine. There was a hole in the valve cover that you could put your finger through.

Now the dealer is on the phone to Germany "to see what can be done." We still don't know what part of the engine "let loose".

Anyone have a similar experience of an engine failure on a 997 (due to dealer error) that is out of warranty? How was it handled? Any new engines out there? How did the new engine work out - was the car as good as new? Or not quite the same?

Holding my breath to see how "Diva" (that's the nickname for my 997 - she's got great curves and she sings) turns out.
try to get a download of the engine's over limit rev counters. Maybe test driver missed shift and blew engine?

You're in tough spot. So's dealer. Engine may have been on verge of letting go and dealer and driver just in wrong spot at wrong time.

Or dealer's employee missed shift. Accident I'm sure. But up to dealer to make you and car whole again.

Or dealer's employee took car out and really thrashed it. (Believe it or not I'd had this happen several times with another car, never with Porsche though. Had tracking device in the car and downloaded data after getting car back from dealer and found in one case tech took car out for test drive during lunch break and really thrashed car. Two extreme acceleration events up to 90+mph in a residential street followed by hard brake events.)

Anyhow, dealer owes you reasonable care and skill in servicing your car. If you can get data from engine controller that shows an overrev/overspeed of engine of the critical kind I think you could argue the dealer did not provide this reasonable care and skill in servicing vehicle and this is consumer fraud.

Consult with your local county's consumer fraud division. Off hand mention in talks with dealer -- if it looks like it's not going your way -- you have consulted with consumer fraud in your area about this. Don't threaten just leave it as an alternative you will certainly explore if you feel you're well being defrauded.

Be prepared to show as best you can -- use copies only keep originals -- you had car regularly serviced, and taken care of and did not abuse car.

See what dealer/factory come back with. You might get new engine courtesy of the dealer/factory working something out.

It might be considered a win if nothing better available to even end up having to pay something out of pocket for this.

Oh, check your car insurance to see if this sort of thing covered. If it comes to this turning this claim over to insurance might save you some money.

Best of luck!

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts
Default Oh, and change avatar to show car parked in front of church!

Originally Posted by useridchallenged

Or Photoshop those cones out of picture!

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:00 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Ugggg. Hope all ends well!! If there is a silver lining in any of this it is that it occurred while in the Dealer's possession and not while you were driving her home.... GL
Old 04-11-2009, 02:14 PM
997, esq
Racer

Originally Posted by cello
Ugggg. Hope all ends well!! If there is a silver lining in any of this it is that it occurred while in the Dealer's possession and not while you were driving her home.... GL
Agreed. I tend not to believe in coincidences. Dealer must have done something wrong.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:15 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the car has been serviced properly and everything went down just as you say, I am confident that PCNA will take care of the situation, I know from experience. Good luck, if things go right you will get a new engine from this and will be a lifelong Porsche customer.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by russo
If the car has been serviced properly and everything went down just as you say, I am confident that PCNA will take care of the situation, I know from experience. Good luck, if things go right you will get a new engine from this and will be a lifelong Porsche customer.
That's how I read this situation too.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

Don't worry. Porsche will take care of you. They will do just about anything to resolve customer satisfaction issues, particularly on the new cash cow 997 line.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Well you 997 owners are sure alot more optomistic than 996 owners. The M96 engines, particularly the early 3.4's have had many problems, IMS, carcked liners, intermix, cracked heads. Once they are out of warranty it is very hard to get Porsche to even acknowledge problems with the engines. I hope your experience is better for you.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Dharn55
Well you 997 owners are sure alot more optomistic than 996 owners. The M96 engines, particularly the early 3.4's have had many problems, IMS, carcked liners, intermix, cracked heads. Once they are out of warranty it is very hard to get Porsche to even acknowledge problems with the engines. I hope your experience is better for you.
I think the difference here is that the motor failure happened after the service department put the motor back together after another type of repair. AFAIK, I've never heard of this situation occurring!
Old 04-11-2009, 09:17 PM
hikejohn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope the best for you....but I experience is that the German car guys just look at the bottom line, ignore design errors and don't care about customers....guess they think the next yumpie will come along and buy....I personally think they are in error

Quick Reply: Dealer says "something let loose in the engine"