Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loosing my mind

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009 | 11:22 AM
Jlangmd
Racer

Default Loosing my mind

Can I just make a point here, now that I have seen this in multiple posts on multiple threads:

Loose: Not tight. Loosing, not a word. Loosening is to un-tighten.

Lose: to misplace, fail to win, or to cease to have.

Just to stay on topic here in the forum, I checked my wheel nuts after 100km driving with the summer tires on, and they were not loose, as I did not lose any torque. I applied the anti-seize as suggested in the manual as well.

On the other hand, my attention was loose when driving and almost made me lose my back end around a corner.

Old 04-11-2009 | 11:29 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

What do you expect? This is just an online message board. Nobody here is going to win the pullet surprise for their posts. Mistakes like mispeling "lose" as "loose" are pardon parcel with people who learn the language through talking and not through reading.

I could of made that same mistake if I hadn't learned these words by reading them. Sadly, people who don't read just can't cut the muster. Alot of people would just assume watch a movie instead of read a book and it shows in there writing. For all intensive purposes they are exposed to new words strickly by hearing them and they never see the proper spelling -- It's simple cause and affect. When I first learned about this sort of error it really peeked my interest and I found that there are lots of web sight's that can help.

I've come to turns with it, but the sad thing is that these loosers look like idiots. It's a doggy dog world out there and they're selling themselves short. One mispeled post to the internet and -- walla -- the whole world knows they don't read books. And there's no statue of limitations for Internet posts -- it will be in Google forever. I don't mean that there dumb persay, just that there supposably illiterate. You might think that this is all just a mute point but I prefer to air on the side of caution. Common, if you don't think spelling matters you're diluting yourself.

I had a piffany about this: learning to spell words is a right of passage that we should all go through as children. If you don't read and you skip that important step you'll never be a bonified grammar **** like me.

What can I say? People who can't spell "lose" just demonstrate that ignorance is blitz.
Old 04-11-2009 | 11:39 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Well spaid!
Old 04-11-2009 | 11:40 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Jlangmd
Can I just make a point here, now that I have seen this in multiple posts on multiple threads:

Loose: Not tight. Loosing, not a word. Loosening is to un-tighten.

Lose: to misplace, fail to win, or to cease to have.

Just to stay on topic here in the forum, I checked my wheel nuts after 100km driving with the summer tires on, and they were not loose, as I did not lose any torque. I applied the anti-seize as suggested in the manual as well.

On the other hand, my attention was loose when driving and almost made me lose my back end around a corner.

Excellent post. This is something I would have posted in the past, but I've learned not to poke fun of others' mistakes. People get pissed at you for doing so, and they'll jump all over you and tell you that it was uncalled for, as though you've done a bad, bad thing.
Old 04-11-2009 | 11:41 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Nugget
What do you expect? This is just an online message board. Nobody here is going to win the pullet surprise for their posts. Mistakes like mispeling "lose" as "loose" are pardon parcel with people who learn the language through talking and not through reading.

I could of made that same mistake if I hadn't learned these words by reading them. Sadly, people who don't read just can't cut the muster. Alot of people would just assume watch a movie instead of read a book and it shows in there writing. For all intensive purposes they are exposed to new words strickly by hearing them and they never see the proper spelling -- It's simple cause and affect. When I first learned about this sort of error it really peeked my interest and I found that there are lots of web sight's that can help.

I've come to turns with it, but the sad thing is that these loosers look like idiots. It's a doggy dog world out there and they're selling themselves short. One mispeled post to the internet and -- walla -- the whole world knows they don't read books. And there's no statue of limitations for Internet posts -- it will be in Google forever. I don't mean that there dumb persay, just that there supposably illiterate. You might think that this is all just a mute point but I prefer to air on the side of caution. Common, if you don't think spelling matters you're diluting yourself.

I had a piffany about this: learning to spell words is a right of passage that we should all go through as children. If you don't read and you skip that important step you'll never be a bonified grammar **** like me.

What can I say? People who can't spell "lose" just demonstrate that ignorance is blitz.
Brilliant post.

You've really addressed the root of the problem: less reading of published, edited materials and more reading of internet, unedited posts, where mistakes are easily propagated just from people copying the errors of others.

For posting on forums, use a built-in spell checking browser like Firefox, that's what I use.
Old 04-11-2009 | 11:44 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Originally Posted by OCBen
Brilliant post.
+1

Old 04-11-2009 | 11:45 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Dependence on spell check causes problems too. I just read an old email I sent where I thought I wrote "I meant to get back to you sooner" and I actually sent "I meant to get back to you sober" - the spelling was all correct.
Old 04-11-2009 | 11:54 AM
Hockeyman11385
Instructor

Excellent post. I love it.

My personal hatred is the misspelling of "definitely". It's shocking how many people spell it wrong.
Old 04-11-2009 | 12:00 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hockeyman11385
Excellent post. I love it.

My personal hatred is the misspelling of "definitely". It's shocking how many people spell it wrong.
Definately agree with you
Old 04-11-2009 | 12:09 PM
OCBen
Banned

I started a thread in OT a few years ago called something like "Common misspellings and grammatical errors seen on the internet" where everyone got a chance to air some of their pet peeves.

People still make the same mistakes, not just from careless typographical errors such as "teh" but because they really think that a word is spelled as they've typed it.

One of my pet peeve spellings is the word ridiculous. I see so many people - even the better educated among us - spell it REDiculous. There's no red in ridiculous.
Old 04-11-2009 | 12:24 PM
jlinmd
Racer

Originally Posted by OCBen
Brilliant post.

You've really addressed the root of the problem: less reading of published, edited materials and more reading of internet, unedited posts, where mistakes are easily propagated just from people copying the errors of others.

For posting on forums, use a built-in spell checking browser like Firefox, that's what I use.

Even spell checkers won't pick up grammatical errors, or misuse of words such as loose and lose, then and than, or the must, could, and should haves instead of must, could, and should OF.
Old 04-11-2009 | 12:39 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

I love this thread. Poor spelling and grammar undermine your credibility in my eyes.
Old 04-11-2009 | 12:55 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by jlinmd
Even spell checkers won't pick up grammatical errors, or misuse of words such as loose and lose, then and than, or the must, could, and should haves instead of must, could, and should OF.
True dat.
Old 04-11-2009 | 01:40 PM
jlinmd
Racer

Oh...and I forgot to mention the misuse of "your" and "you're". Another one of my pet peeves.

Ok, that's all.
Old 04-11-2009 | 02:17 PM
doubleclutch09
Advanced

Couldn't agree more. That said, the writing issues on this board are nothing compared to what you will find on corvette enthusiast websites - makes you want to loose you ever luvin' mind.....

Quick Reply: Loosing my mind