997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guards Red?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:54 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Take it from someone who has a tan interior....go natural brown.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:20 PM
cabman4007
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

My 993 was GR with the tan interior and had a hard time selling it. Got calls and the guy said NOPE, wont do.

the turbo has GR and black interior and hopefully will sell much better.

If you dont care about resale get the tan interior but you may lose a bit on resale.

cab
Old 03-25-2009, 08:33 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 927 Likes on 519 Posts

why so many negative comments about tan interior?
Old 03-25-2009, 08:50 PM
JMA
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have guards red with black and I believe that many have complained about the tan as having a reflective quality with the sun that can make it hard to see. Personally, I don't think that the silver accents in the Porsche interior (and there are many) go well with tan....I think they look best with black. That is the main reason I went with a black interior due to the fact that it looks good with the silver bits peppered throughout the interior....As far as the reflection problem, the two-tone tan / black with a black dash would solve that problem....If you are stuck on tan, you may want to consider that...would likely have to order a car, though.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:00 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

First off I love guards red. It's the color I dreamed about having in a Porsche.
My first Porsche was a 2005 Boxster S. Guards red with sand beige interior. In the 18 months that I had this car it only saw sunny days and 5500 miles. Many of the sand beige interior parts were so dirty just from normal every day nice weather driving. I was cleaning in constantly. Drove me nuts.

My 997S is Guards red with black interior and it's sooooo much nicer to deal with.

Guards red with beige is beautiful. If you're willing to deal with cleaning it constantly, the I say go for it.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:02 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
why so many negative comments about tan interior?
If the color is Savannah Beige, it's pretty much ALL tan inside with little contrasting panels. And that color is almost mustard colored. Just not my taste.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:03 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a huge Ferrari fan, but they certainly have it right IMO with the two-tone black-tan combination they do for their interiors. When I see a tan dash I automatically think Lexus. I don't know why, and that's probably not a fair association, but it just doesn't seem like something a sports car should have.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nugget
Absolutely beautiful and a classic 911 color.
Exactly - looks amazing.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:11 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cabman,
Do you believe the reason you had a hard time selling your 993 was
because of the Guards Red or the tan interior?

I must admit that having a 997 can be a bit ostentatious at certain
times and around certain people and I am concerned that red just shouts "look at me." The 997 will be a second car for me, however, I certainly
plan on driving it to the office and courthouse on a very regular basis.
Red may be too much.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:12 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A tan interior with the red is a very attractive and classic color combination. Potential issues with any interior but black or gray are the sport seat (if ordered) backs or the steering wheel horn ring (some types) that are gray plastic. The seat backs can be ordered painted in body color or in leather. As far as the steering wheel, there are many options and you need to look at the details carefully. Your salesperson may not know. There is a thread about this somewhere on this forum. Paint to match the leather after purchase is also a possibility. Consider full leather interior and some of the dash/door/pillar options, pricey but very attractive. Getting rid of the plastic parts is a plus.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:17 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts

Here's a "deviating interior" shot from the Porsche website configurator. It's sand beige/black and would definitely solve the "sun reflection" problem from the dash top.
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hikejohn
Just an observation....cops love to nail red sports cars....so I have gone for lower profile colors....
That's just an urban legend: http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/redcars.asp
Cops love to pull over boring silver sports cars just as much as they love to pull over flashy red ones.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:18 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leader
Here's a "deviating interior" shot from the Porsche website configurator. It's sand beige/black and would definitely solve the "sun reflection" problem from the dash top.
Love the deviating interior. Would do the carpets in back too. And maybe go for natural brown as someone said before.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:21 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by points
Take it from someone who has a tan interior....go natural brown.
So true, Natural Brown is gorgeous, way way nicer then Sand Beige. My favorite of all is Terracotta in a Black exterior.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:02 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Guards Red has been under ordered during the 997 years, from what I have seen. These are conservative times, and the vast majority of these cars are produced in silver or a variant of silver, and black. Guards Red used to be highly popular back in the 1980s, with contrasting black leather interior. Go for the Guards Red, but do something different for the interior. The Sand Beige is WAY too light, IMO, and will be a challenge to maintain, even if you are routinely careful. The Natural Brown interior is pretty tough, holding up well for me, but not available in a deviating interior option, as far as I know. If it is go for THAT combination!

Natural Brown. Like Coach products in quality, and looks like Skippy Peanut butter!

Doctored my exterior for you...
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Guards Red?????