Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Latest Consumer Reports

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I should have consulted CR when I bought my first Honda RC51 back in 2000. Right? Gimme a break.

Honda, like Porsche has a great reputation; however, and I'm not an engineer- I'd suspect that a lot more R&D would go into a $80-130k car then a $11k 999cc V-Twin super bike. And I'd also assume that a lot more could go wrong; considering that cars require a lot more testing then a bike.

But at the end of the day; I'm a huge fan of Honda, just as I am with Porsche. I used to tease Harley guys that I could put 150k on my bike and THEN turn it into a reliable lawn mower! But that wasn't the reason why the bike was so succesful. Nor is the fact it got made fun by the Ducati crowd, and a lot of people said it was too heavy.

That didn't stop it from being number 1 on the list for me to buy. Because Honda was about to clinch the WSBK title with Colin Edwards and she was a mean son of a bitch......sexy too. Propa kit.

That's why I bought it. Passion. Real enthusiast bike. That's the reason most buy a Porsche. Oh, and the fact you can put 150k on it and turn it into a German Blender!

Try that with your F430.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:01 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CR's reliability ratings on normal cars are hugely useful. You can also see from them how certain car companies -- Honda, Toyota, etc. -- do a markedly superior job at manufacturing cars that are reliable over the long haul. May not be super-useful information for people who drive 997s and the like, but for most car buyers it is very useful. I'm generally in the market right now for a 4x4 for my dog, skiing, etc. and I'll certainly listen to them when they say Toyotas have awesome reliability and Jeeps and Land Rovers have poor reliability. I've also found that CR and Edmunds also have a wealth of useful information about buying a car and not getting screwed over. Granted, again, this may not be all that helpful for your nxt Porsche purchase, but for your normal, utility cars it comes in handy.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:35 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you imagine the number of married 40 year-old, balding, cubicle workers whose wive's control their every move that Consumer Reports would lose as subscribers if they had a report indicating the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna were not the most reliable and safest cars in the world.

Furthermore, these clones would turn white as a ghost if Consumer Reports
suggested Porsche, Landrover, and BMW were not designed and manufactured by the devil himself.

I always find it interesting that despite how "reliable" Honda and Toyota are claimed to be, their dealerships still have just as many repair bays as any other manufacturer's dealers.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

At Law, franchise agreements force the dealers to have way more bays than they need given the hammer like reliability of Hondas. The number of bays is related to the volume of the franchise and the desire to have rapid customer service.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:51 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by At Law
Can you imagine the number of married 40 year-old, balding, cubicle workers whose wive's control their every move that Consumer Reports would lose as subscribers if they had a report indicating the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna were not the most reliable and safest cars in the world.

Furthermore, these clones would turn white as a ghost if Consumer Reports
suggested Porsche, Landrover, and BMW were not designed and manufactured by the devil himself.

I always find it interesting that despite how "reliable" Honda and Toyota are claimed to be, their dealerships still have just as many repair bays as any other manufacturer's dealers.

Say it ain't so!!
Old 03-23-2009, 09:40 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the number of repair bays relates in some manner to the reliability of cars? I think I'd rather look at surveys of owners. European reliability numbers, by the way, align very closely with American figures. Hondas and Toyotas are most reliable in long-term reliability surveys, Lexuses are more reliable than BMWs, Audis, etc. Perhaps the Freemasons are involved in a global conspiracy to get people to buy Hondas and Toyotas?
Old 03-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

You go with your bad Lexus self!

Quick Reply: Latest Consumer Reports