Sponsored by:

Latest Consumer Reports

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:29 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
CR is the only magazine that doesn't accept any advertising $$$, CR owns its own test track and employs decent test drivers and CR also buys all of the cars it reviews (anonymously from dealers).

While me may not always like the results, there is no agenda at CR and their results are what they are.
CR doesn't. However, their editors do have consulting contracts.

Back a bunch of years ago there were a few reviews were CR rated product differently when the only difference was the color of the dye in the enclosure. That shouldn't put one as the best and the other as the worst.

I've seen cases where products that should have been the highest rated product left out of the testing.

They also weight the criteria in their assessment. So even if there is a product that outperforms others they will say that the tests that the product won aren't significant.

Finally, their ratings are "value" not necessarily the best. Another way they can massage the results.

I've found CR's reviews to be suspiciously biased and wouldn't go by anything they say. YMMV
Old 03-21-2009, 10:36 PM
swajames
Racer

Originally Posted by pmgoodwin

Back a bunch of years ago there were a few reviews were CR rated product differently when the only difference was the color of the dye in the enclosure. That shouldn't put one as the best and the other as the worst.

I've seen cases where products that should have been the highest rated product left out of the testing.

They also weight the criteria in their assessment. So even if there is a product that outperforms others they will say that the tests that the product won aren't significant.

Finally, their ratings are "value" not necessarily the best. Another way they can massage the results.

I've found CR's reviews to be suspiciously biased and wouldn't go by anything they say. YMMV
I think most of us are intelligent enough to recognize that CR's opinion is just that and CR's opinion is far less important than one's own. My post was prompted by the ludicrous suggestion that Toyota pay CR to get the high ratings...
Old 03-21-2009, 10:41 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

I think most of us are intelligent enough to recognize that CR's opinion is just that and CR's opinion is far less important than one's own. My post was prompted by the ludicrous suggestion that Toyota pay CR to get the high ratings...
It was "there is no agenda" comment. that prompted my reply.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:43 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CR is the only magazine that doesn't accept any advertising $$$, CR owns its own test track and employs decent test drivers...
Decent test drivers? I don't know but they are certainly not drag racers. According to CR (April 09 pg. 13) their Dodge Viper did 0-60 in 4.2 sec, which is way slower than it is in every car magazine test.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:17 PM
swajames
Racer

It was "there is no agenda" comment. that prompted my reply.
Well, compared to most other auto magazines, there isn't. Their current top rated car in their latest buying guide, based on the test drive score, is the 911 Carrera S. Do we disagree with that? Is anyone going to suggest that Porsche paid them for the positive press?
Old 03-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sharmat
Those cars are not even the same class as the 997
Thats not the point of the CR reviews. its about good value and reliable performance for your money. And on that front, CR does a great job.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:30 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think most of us are intelligent enough to recognize that CR's opinion is just that and CR's opinion is far less important than one's own.
Actually that depends.

if you are buying something you have little experience with, such as car, unless you have owned that model year of the make before, then CR's review is MUCH more important than your own uninformed opinion. Their view is not "Will you like this car" but rather "is this car a good purchase for the money". On that front, I think CR does well.

If someone doesn't care about that factor, that doesn't make CR's review meaningless or wrong.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:38 PM
swajames
Racer

Originally Posted by Minok
Actually that depends.

if you are buying something you have little experience with, such as car, unless you have owned that model year of the make before, then CR's review is MUCH more important than your own uninformed opinion. Their view is not "Will you like this car" but rather "is this car a good purchase for the money". On that front, I think CR does well.

If someone doesn't care about that factor, that doesn't make CR's review meaningless or wrong.
Agree - that was the point of my initial post, CR does indeed do a very good job on that front. My follow up was just making the point that CR is one of many sources of data that should ultimately inform one's own opinion.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:02 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

CR is looking for things like value for the dollar, gas mileage, reliability, etc., i.e. all the things I'll look for in a car when I'm wearing Depends and living off the $5 left in Social Security. Until then, give me my irrational, moderately gas-thrifty, mostly impractical, way overpriced, ***-engined **** slot-car. As mentioned before, when I need a new toaster, CR will be my first stop!
Old 03-22-2009, 09:50 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

CR, another reason i am against recycling. why dont they just stop printing useless crap.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:39 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Originally Posted by mooty
CR, another reason i am against recycling. why dont they just stop printing useless crap.
Because people will pay for it.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:10 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Actually their quality evaluation is not an opinion, it's a compilation of data from their subscribers. I'm surprised that they have enough data for 997s to make it statistically legitimate. I haven't subscribed to CR for over 20 years, but back then they use to exclude Porsche because they didn't have enough data. When I subscribed I use to get an annual questionare regarding the cars that I owned.

I would be a lot more apt to believe their compilations regarding cars costing under $40K which is probably the price range for the cars owned by the vast majority of their subscribers, then I would for $80K+ cars.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Tone
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
CR is looking for things like value for the dollar, gas mileage, reliability, etc., i.e. all the things I'll look for in a car when I'm wearing Depends and living off the $5 left in Social Security. Until then, give me my irrational, moderately gas-thrifty, mostly impractical, way overpriced, ***-engined **** slot-car. As mentioned before, when I need a new toaster, CR will be my first stop!
What's with all the negative/hatred towards CR??

THIS WAS VERY POSITIVE PRESS/REVIEW OF THE 997
- They recommended the 997 as a "CR Recommended Buy"
- Rated #4 in total points on ALL cars they tested
- Show a picture of the car as a recommended

Considering reliability was "average" & cost to operate was poor (as were most expensive cars) yet CR gave such high ratings shows me they're open to other aspects besides economy, reliability & cost to operate. Seems to me CR is being pretty open minded on how they review cars now, yet many posters here first reaction is to bash CR....I guess you're entitled, but I recommended reading the latest issue...then post your thoughts.

Last edited by Tone; 03-23-2009 at 03:11 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Wow - a little pointed, huh?

I trust CR when it comes to buying a fridge or toaster, not a car. CR ALWAYS loves the most boring (yet UTTERLY reliable) cars. I'd trust Popular Mechanics more if I needed an outside source for a car appraisal.
Exactly, they are good for buying applicances..such as Refrigadaire, Cuisanart, Toyota
Old 03-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by mal28
why don't you foward your thoughts to CR?

I, for one, believe them more than the average car salesman
C'mon now Mal- relax- I didn't point my gun towards you. No need to get nasty towars ol'Stoppie. Remember I'm the honest guy- not the complete BS artist kiss your *** 'car salezzzzmannnn'.

Originally Posted by uzj100
Except the 997 does have some reliability issues. Like bad muffler brackets, failed water pumps, faulty front suspension components etc
Of course Porsche had/has some issues. No car is infalible. However the porportion of issues are relatively small compared to the production units.

Originally Posted by 4Scargo
I bought a 1996 Isuzu Trooper after CR cut them off at the knees. Great price on a great SUV, and, it hardly ever tipped over!

That last part was freek'n hilarious!

Originally Posted by ADias
CR has no credibility reviewing Porsches.
I wouldnt' accept the opinions of a bunch of non enthusiasts like CR either.

CR is the only magazine that doesn't accept any advertising $$$, CR owns its own test track and employs decent test drivers and CR also buys all of the cars it reviews (anonymously from dealers).

While we may not always like the results, there is no agenda at CR and their results are what they are.

Doesn't ANYONE remember who publically owned CR?? Way back when? C'mon- I can't be the only one.

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Exactly, they are good for buying applicances..such as Refrigadaire, Cuisanart, Toyota

ding ding ding!! We have a winner.

Quick Reply: Latest Consumer Reports