Sponsored by:

2007 Turbo or New 2009 997 Carrera S?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 08:52 AM
dD/dt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
I did not change my mind, it's more of a game for me, I love buying cars, and accept the consequences of doing so. I am on my 5th Porsche in less than 3 years, all new. I wanted to mix it up and try a CAB S after the Turbo, and I have determined that CAB's fit my budget and lifestyle best. I still think the Turbo is the pinnacle, and would prefer it over all other 911's. I do not personally like the look of the Turbo CAB, too much going on, ugly to me. If I had not lost an enormous amount of money on my previous 4 Porsches I would have bought a new Turbo a few weeks ago instead of the '09 S CAB. I took the biggest hit on my Turbo, it was ugly, and surprising, but that also is what makes it possible for the OP to consider getting one as he should. Basically as I said originally it largely boils down to money. The Turbo is pretty much the best Porsche has to offer, everything they've got goes into that car. What's not to like about it? The Price.
The Turbo is insane, I love it, I miss it, and I definitely plan to have another someday.

I gotta hand it to you, you're keeping the economy afloat almost single-handedly.

PM me the next time you're unloading a 6 month old turbo. I can help.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:10 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
I'll pass on the Turbo, thanks, and I certainly don't dream of one.
You must not sleep at night, or Porsche failed miserably in their line up.
Anyway let's not get away from what the OP's topic is, '07 Turbo vs. '09 C2S.
I may dream with you for the GT2 & GT3, more so the GT2, in fact I could have made them mine several times and chose not to for one reason. They belong on the track, anyone who buys one and does not give them track time better be a collector/serious Porsche enthusiast or they are just a POSER rattling their teeth out on the street with track tuned suspension, and wasting that cars intended purpose.
I buy my cars to drive in real conditions, driven my Turbo in light snow, & freezing rain, incredible car. I drove it to work everyday unless there was significant snow fall. Porsche did an incredible job with the new Turbo.

Last edited by todd.; 03-21-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the option to pick up a Turbo...actually any car...as long as I used it daily....wife was quite specific: no 3rd car...use the asset or...well you get the idea.

Coming from a 997 GT3...I found the Turbo to be distinctly lacking as a driver's car. Rather proving that power is no substitute for feel/feedback.

Now I appreciate you could drop $20k and realise a rather more compelling bahnstormer - uprate suspension , EVO kits, cf. ECLOU -

But I do not have the inclination, especially when the C2S PDK is eminently more engaging out of the box..

Fatter is definitely not better....

Frankly if you really want to do Turbo land, there is an answer for that: GT2.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:28 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
I need your problems with cars
You want problems, get into horses, that's where my money really gets pissed away. I'd be on the Ferrari forum too if I didn't have them.
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Dirtmerchant
Rennlist Member

I'm likely the least qualified person to comment on this post but I'll put in my two cents....

I recently bought my first Porsche and decided to get an 09 C2S Coupe. I also considered a leftover 08 C2S as well as a used Turbo Coupe in my buying decision. I bought the 09 over the 08 C2S due to all the changes in technology as well as the DFI on a new engine design. I opted for the C2S over the Turbo as the car was going to be a daily driver and and frankly thought I would have more fun with less likelihood of loosing my license, getting locked up or killing myself due to inexperience.

It really depends on you and how you are going to use the car.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt

Rodney
Old 03-21-2009, 02:52 PM
boolala
Race Car

With the 997.2 coming in the low 4 sec range to 60 the difference in performance between it and the turbo is not so great anymore. Plus the advantage that 1) you get a brand new car configured exactly like you want it and 2) no turbo lag 3) less weight.

Until the new turbo is introduced with DFI and PDK it's a tough choice that I, myself, have wondered about as well.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:04 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 997.1C2S and moved up to a TT and have no regrets. At least for me it a great car. I'm sure track head will want a GT3 or someone prefers RWD, but as an everyday supercar, the TT is pretty hard to beat. I say go for it!
Old 03-21-2009, 03:10 PM
mdwac
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts

i had a 07 TT for 2 years...drove it every single day I needed a car (probably 20K miles). I never got over the lack of nimbleness vs. previous cars (all rwd 911 cars which I loved). I switched to a new F430 a few months back which is fine. But I really miss my Pcar.

For me the right one is a C2S. I actually think the more aggressive you drive on the street, the more you appreciate the C2S vs. the TT. TT is awesome in a straight line. Currently scouting about for the right '09 car...but need to get comfortable with the beating I will take in selling a F430 in this market.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:26 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As another driver who just went from a C2S ('09) to a Turbo, I'm going to throw my vote towards the turbo.

The '09 Turbo is my 4th in 5 years. I kept trying the various designs until I found (I think!) what I was looking for. I really liked the '09 C2S. The additional power the 997.2 version provided was noticeable and very useful. I was very concerned about losing the instant/linear acceleration of an NA car.

However, after a few days of ownership with the Turbo, I'm quite sure I made the right choice.

I guess the good news is whichever one you choose, you're likely to be happy.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:27 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

maybe folks should read some of the true expert opinions on the turbo, as in randy pobst and steve millen. They would have some words to disagree that the TT is porsches best! Maybe the understeer, spooky suspension, and 3800lbs of weight would deter a few people, myself included! The TT is a GT, take it for what it is.
I would be more inclined to look for a nice GT3, if not a C2S.2 with the sports PASM......
Old 03-21-2009, 03:44 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Most posts focus on sheer power. You should also consider extra weight - the Turbo carries a whopping 350lbs (in some cases far more) over an 09 C2S. It's like carrying 7 (heavy) 50lb suitcases with you all the time... The motor compensates for that on straights, but the car dynamics are affected.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:26 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Most posts focus on sheer power. You should also consider extra weight - the Turbo carries a whopping 350lbs (in some cases far more) over an 09 C2S. It's like carrying 7 (heavy) 50lb suitcases with you all the time... The motor compensates for that on straights, but the car dynamics are affected.
... or 3 (light) 117 pound buxom beauties, 1 blond, 1 brunette, and 1 redhead. Now that would be worth the extra weight!
Old 03-21-2009, 04:38 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
The Turbo is a great car but it is not an 'absolute' best for everyone. If you crave stunning acceleration, and pure straight line performance and AWD get a turbo. If you care for finesse, RWD and linear acceleration get a NA car. One is not better than the other. There's more to a sports car than sheer power.
++ I owned a turbo for 9 years and drove it significantly. (About 70,000 miles). It is not what everyone wants. I suspect several posters here have fallen prey to the enormous Porsche Marketing machine. Porsche makes about twenty different models so that you can find what suits your purposes the best. I don't believe that those with the assets to order a new Carrera S can't equally afford a Turbo. But many of us made the conscious decision not to buy a Turbo for a variety of reasons. It is not the holy grail of Porsche automobiles.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:17 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since this isn't a daily driver how about the ultimate twin turbo-a 993 version? Arguably the best looking 911 EVER!
Old 03-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

I've had a 997 C2, C4S and now a 07 TT and I'm very happy. The question is 09 C2S vs. 07TT and I prefer the TT. Go drive both and decide for yourself, it's the only way you will know or read all the opinions here and remain undecided. You will find most that are critical of the TT don't own one or never drove one. Especially the ones that claim "turbo lag" I just drove mine a hundred miles today and I didn't detect any "lag" just fantastic power that sets you back in the seat and great handling for the street if thats where you do most of your driving. Either car is awesome, enjoy.

Quick Reply: 2007 Turbo or New 2009 997 Carrera S?