Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Turbo or New 2009 997 Carrera S?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:45 PM
997Turbo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 Turbo or New 2009 997 Carrera S?

I am getting ready to order a new 2009 Carrera S loaded with some nice options, including Sports PASM, P03 Bucket Seats, Chrono, Nav, BOSE, XM, etc. I stumbled upon some low mileage 2007 Turbos certified at local dealers here in Southern California and have seen some clean Turbos for sale by private owners. I never really intended on a Turbo and they are priced in the same ballpark, 90-100K. I know the Turbo is a beast with all that power, yet I am drawn to the new technology and improvements in the new '09 997 S. I have had 2 9ll's in the past (recently sold my 1996 993 coupe) but never had a Turbo. The car I get will not be a daily driver but my fun third car for weekends, etc. I realize that these 2 models are completely different and any thoughts about this dilemma would be appreciated
Old 03-20-2009, 09:40 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask on the 997TT forum how many people moved up from non-turbo to turbo and regret the decision.

I'd be all over the turbo like white on rice. Has also taken the initial big hit for depreciation unlike the new car.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

That's a tough choice but as you said they are different animals.
Having just moved from an 06 C4S to a turbo, I can honestly say that I am in pig heaven. The power of the turbo is intoxicating and after a month of ownership my grin has not diminished at all.
Then again, I could say the same thing after 3.5 years of owning the C4S!
I personally am more of a 'new car guy' and spent a lot of time (massive understatement) picking every option on my C4S and TT. This factor in my mind is huge. Obviously I'm not Mr. Value Guy!

Good luck with this wonderful decision.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:47 PM
Circe
Advanced

While this is a dilemma, it is a delightful one to be in. It would seem that the answer may sound something like - drive both cars several times comparing and contrasting the driving characteristics as well as the accouterments of each. Some will be quite obvious while others very subtle. Decide in your own heart which characteristics and accessories in your future beloved toy are the most significant and important to you and then pick the car that delivers the most on those particular characteristics. For instance, how well does each car involve you, the driver? How accurately does each convert your driving inputs into sublime control responses? Which feels better balanced? Which has the better brake feel (if indeed there is an actual difference)? Acceleration ( as if one really has to ask that question)? Easy, right? Some esoteric questions perhaps.

After an honest evaluation process, if you still cannot come to a decision, take your cue from some of America’s top executives. Stand in line for a bail out loan from the federal government and when received, buy both cars! How can you go wrong?

In the end, remember that each Porsche is a unique surgical scalpel, carving up the road in its own fabulous way. Good luck with your choice.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Hockeyman11385
Instructor

If the car is going to be a third car, just for some weekend fun, have you put any thought into looking at GT3's? They are hovering around the ~100K mark with under 10,000 miles. While some may consider it a bit harsh for a daily driver, it seems like the perfect weekend toy.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:00 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 1996993coupe
I am getting ready to order a new 2009 Carrera S loaded with some nice options, including Sports PASM, P03 Bucket Seats, Chrono, Nav, BOSE, XM, etc. I stumbled upon some low mileage 2007 Turbos certified at local dealers here in Southern California and have seen some clean Turbos for sale by private owners. I never really intended on a Turbo and they are priced in the same ballpark, 90-100K. I know the Turbo is a beast with all that power, yet I am drawn to the new technology and improvements in the new '09 997 S. I have had 2 9ll's in the past (recently sold my 1996 993 coupe) but never had a Turbo. The car I get will not be a daily driver but my fun third car for weekends, etc. I realize that these 2 models are completely different and any thoughts about this dilemma would be appreciated
The TT has the true dry sump, stout GT1 engine while the 997 Carerra's (.1 or .2) do not.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:20 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No Question - Buy the Turbo, it's what you and all of us dream of. It is the most incredible car I have ever owned. The power is unreal, makes the new 911 S seem insignificant. The only reason one would not buy a Turbo is money, or practical use, or money. It sounds to me like an '07 Turbo may make sense for you.
Believe me when you're driving a Turbo new options, etc. just don't matter, you have a Turbo, YOU ROCK. It's that simple. Anyone who tells you differently hasn't owned one. The attached photo is an example of the pure joy a Turbo gives it's owner, joy that is indescribable.
Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2009, 11:24 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Like Coochas, last month I went from an 05 997S to a new 09 TT. There are differences I am still adapting to, including 4-wheel drive (feels less nimble but I am still getting used to it), and a little more weight. But the TT power (which I haven't really even fully tried yet since I am still in breakin) is VERY intoxicating.

07 TT's are a real bargain right now and getting one would probably be a very good financial move vs. a new 997S in terms of initial and future depreciation; the GT1-based dry sump engine is supposed to be bulletproof, and you would have all that massive power. If I were you, I would go Turbo.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:29 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

The Turbo is a great car but it is not an 'absolute' best for everyone. If you crave stunning acceleration, and pure straight line performance and AWD get a turbo. If you care for finesse, RWD and linear acceleration get a NA car. One is not better than the other. There's more to a sports car than sheer power.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:32 PM
chops
Advanced

Originally Posted by todd.
No Questiojn - Buy the Turbo, it's what you and all of us dream of. It is the most incredible car I have ever owned. The power is unreal, makes the new 911 S seem insignificant. The only reason one would not buy a Turbo is money, or practical use, or money. It sounds to me like an '07 Turbo may make sense for you.
Believe me when you're driving a Turbo new options, etc. just don't matter, you have a Turbo, YOU ROCK. It's that simple. Anyone who tells you differently hasn't owned one. The attached photo is an example of the pure joy a Turbo gives it's owner, joy that is indescribable.
Based on your sig, didn't you go from a 997 turbo to 997.2 c2s cab? What made you change your mind, given your thoughts that you shared?
Old 03-21-2009, 12:17 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did not change my mind, it's more of a game for me, I love buying cars, and accept the consequences of doing so. I am on my 5th Porsche in less than 3 years, all new. I wanted to mix it up and try a CAB S after the Turbo, and I have determined that CAB's fit my budget and lifestyle best. I still think the Turbo is the pinnacle, and would prefer it over all other 911's. I do not personally like the look of the Turbo CAB, too much going on, ugly to me. If I had not lost an enormous amount of money on my previous 4 Porsches I would have bought a new Turbo a few weeks ago instead of the '09 S CAB. I took the biggest hit on my Turbo, it was ugly, and surprising, but that also is what makes it possible for the OP to consider getting one as he should. Basically as I said originally it largely boils down to money. The Turbo is pretty much the best Porsche has to offer, everything they've got goes into that car. What's not to like about it? The Price.
The Turbo is insane, I love it, I miss it, and I definitely plan to have another someday.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:42 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Todd, I need your problems with cars........lmao....bastard...
Old 03-21-2009, 01:20 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
No Question - Buy the Turbo, it's what you and all of us dream of.
I'm sure the torque is addictive but I could never see past the the AWD and the batmobile vents and scoops. I'll pass on the Turbo, thanks, and I certainly don't dream of one. As for the Turbo being "the best" I think you're overlooking the GT2 and GT3-RS.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:25 AM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In this discussion, we should not forget the GT3 and where it stands. The Turbo has tremendous amount of torque but the GT3 is more nimble than the Turbo and is quicker around the track. As a fun car you should also consider the 3. Drive all three and see where your preferences fall.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:13 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by russo
In this discussion, we should not forget the GT3 and where it stands. The Turbo has tremendous amount of torque but the GT3 is more nimble than the Turbo and is quicker around the track. As a fun car you should also consider the 3. Drive all three and see where your preferences fall.
I was actually planning on ordering a 2010 GT3 but then started comparing the TT, and ended up going TT (partly out of impatience!). One factor was the lack of rear seats - I insist on having rear seats for my kids (who accompany me everywhere) and, while its probably possible to add them, its expensive, a big hassle, and may create liability issues. For my use (mainly daily driver), the TT actually makes a lot more sense from many vantage points. However, the TT is less nimble than my 997S and certainly much less so than a GT3, and I might miss that, a little, sometimes. So maybe I want a GT3 too! (But not in my budget.) I still think I made the right decision. But the new GT3 sure is looking like a helluva car.

Quick Reply: 2007 Turbo or New 2009 997 Carrera S?