"Getting to Know Your Porsche Sports Car," or "OMFG! what's a 911?"

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 11:31 PM
jlinmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Hey hey hey!!!

The pamphlet I made said: "Good Day/Night. Sit down. Shut up, start the engine, and DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT. Repeat. Over and Over. Or- Your friends at PAG/PCNA will be forced to repossess the car from your pansey ***!"

- but I think you're safe Aaron... lol! Good boy!
How come I didn't get one of those Sanneeeeeer????? Dammit!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:37 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by jlinmd
How come I didn't get one of those Sanneeeeeer????? Dammit!
Dude it's only placed in your car if you don't drive it the way it's supposed to be - with IN 2 hours of ownership.

You put 115 miles of tarmac between my door and you in a lil ova an hour. You're safe. Pass Go; collect 200 hundred bucks (in the form of a speeding ticket! lol)
Old 03-19-2009, 11:46 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Porsche is doing that because they just don't take the time to talk to their customers anymore. When I picked up a car at the factory many years ago the first thing they asked was if I had a 911 before, and then proceeded to spend time describing oil level checks, etc. and a ton of information. The last time I picked up over there they didn't ask stuff, but put out a lot of information. They essentially take as much time as the new owner needs.

Clearly, Porsche is appealing to a significantly larger number of sports car enthusiasts than ever before, and many of them just haven't grown up around Porsche. While some of us (sick) can cite the year and month of a particular configuration change in th 911, many have no clue. Perhaps this is something they thought would help these novice Porsche pushers. Many of these questions have come up on the Rennlist forum, believe it or not!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:50 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
... Clearly, Porsche is appealing to a significantly larger number of sports car enthusiasts than ever before, and many of them just haven't grown up around Porsche. While some of us (sick) can cite the year and month of a particular configuration change in th 911, many have no clue. Perhaps this is something they thought would help these novice Porsche pushers. ...
That's what I think. And we diehard P-car lovers are laughing about this but... we will be the first to collect and treasure these pamphlets.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:08 AM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

When reading about how an adroit race car driver can gain precious milliseconds with the key on the left, I could not help but recall that "a droite" is French for "on the right".
Old 03-20-2009, 12:40 AM
OneManTX
Pro

I think the cup-holder hints should include my previously posted (and flamed) cup-holder mod:
CLICK
Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2009, 10:48 AM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OneManTX
I think the cup-holder hints should include my previously posted (and flamed) cup-holder mod:
CLICK
Well, you were clearly flamed because the mod interferes with the function of the OEM cupholder warmers.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:27 PM
triqsee
2nd Gear

I for one, wish to thank porsche for thinking of ways to keep my cocoa warm this winter. Oh, and while I'm at it thanks for the pronunciation lesson. Heehee!
Seriously though, I just got back from the accountant (tax time), and although he's just a couple of miles from my place, the beast in the garage beckoned so out I was speeding again, this time grazing the redline. I was going to back off a bit, but then I thought: "am722 is right - life is too short!" So on I sped. Yippee Kayay!
Old 03-20-2009, 01:42 PM
lig
Racer

LOL @ "you can tell this story while showing off your new sports car"
Old 03-21-2009, 05:32 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The ignition on the left is hot air b.s.....almost as good as what is coming out of Washington today.
The reason its on the left and this according to "chirstophorus" or "panorama"(one of last years edition that traced history of porsche) was to save money on copper wiring...resources being very tight at first. They then kept the tradition going...I guess if they put that in there today it would look like the company was "cheap". I don't keep copies of the magazines...so if anyone remembers reading this last year be free to add which issue it came from.
Frankly, I am glad Porsche is doing that. I only wish they did it on the 83SC...would have saved me alot time looking for the stinking oil dip stick, window washer reservoir, not to mention looking where to add water to the radiator! What the hell was I thinking that day.

abe

Last edited by abe; 03-21-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Abe, you're starting to get predictable in yer old age.......
Old 03-21-2009, 06:06 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default BTW, that statement came from Klaus Bischof who runs the Porsche museum..

"The ignition lock, on the steering column, is there because, orginally in the 001
it was cheaper than locating it in the conventional place on the right. It saved a little bit of wire, a little bit of money, and maybe 200grms. This bit of thrift has become a Porsche tradition"
Klaus Bischof

You can also look up this statement on this site....the facts nothing but the facts.

And yes, when you get grumpy and old like me...I wake up at the same time, eat at the same time, sleep at the same time, sh*t at the same time....and sex once a week....same day and time too.
abe

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Abe, you're starting to get predictable in yer old age.......
Old 03-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

i got one with each of my 2008 Rs 60 and GTS - maybe their lawyers said they needed it!!!!

Quick Reply: "Getting to Know Your Porsche Sports Car," or "OMFG! what's a 911?"