"Getting to Know Your Porsche Sports Car," or "OMFG! what's a 911?"

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 08:46 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Getting to Know Your Porsche Sports Car," or "OMFG! what's a 911?"

[Apologies if this is an Enzo, but the search function is FUBAR]

Is this thing a freaking joke? For the unfamiliar, Porsche is apparently now including what it considers to be a primer on Porsches for new owners, tucked conspicuously under the sunvisor. I didn't even bother to read it initially along with the other manuals, since I foolishly assumed I knew enough already. How mistaken I was. It includes such classic FAQs as "Why is the Ignition key located on the left?" and "My new car's front cargo lid definitely doesn't shut from it's own weight. Is there a problem with a latch?" and my favorite, complete with answer:

Q: I love my new Porsche vehicle, and have been driving it spiritedly. Now I notice that my recent fuel consumption is as high as some sedans [the horror!*] Why?

A: Driving with gusto exacts a toll in fuel consumption, so your understandable exuberance is probably the prime factor in your more frequent fill-ups, whether from revving the engine to higher rpms or accelerating briskly from rest. However, these are also the prime fun factors on a sunny weekend day.

*not in original text

Jesus.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

I didn't get that in my new car.
Instead, when I lowered the visor a small card fell on my lap stating,
"Welcome to the club. Kind Regards, Ferri"
Old 03-19-2009, 08:53 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

I got nothing remotely like that with mine. Of course, you did buy it from Likemystoppie?, right?
Old 03-19-2009, 08:58 PM
am722
Drifting

Originally Posted by jfr0317
Of course, you did buy it from Likemystoppie?, right?
Good point. This could be some elaborate Kinkos-enabled ploy by Stoppie.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:25 PM
MrMetrx
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this it????
Name:  Page-1.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  177.6 KB
Old 03-19-2009, 10:29 PM
MrMetrx
Instructor

Name:  Page-2.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  185.8 KB
Old 03-19-2009, 10:33 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

That looks pretty official. I guess me being a repeat buyer, my dealer didn't bother to include. I wonder if they have guidelines for which buyers get it or not! LOL.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:38 PM
MrMetrx
Instructor

Wow, I didn't even notice that the car has Heated/Cooling Cup Holders.... Is that an option?
Old 03-19-2009, 10:44 PM
mstams
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMetrx
Wow, I didn't even notice that the car has Heated/Cooling Cup Holders.... Is that an option?
They're not "heated" or "cooled". They're just "ventilated'...
Old 03-19-2009, 10:51 PM
am722
Drifting

Originally Posted by MrMetrx
Good Lord. I missed that gem.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:04 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Well... that pamphlet is probably their recognition that many 911 buyers these days know nothing about these cars. They buy a 911 today and any other car a year or two later.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:16 PM
triqsee
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by am722
I just picked up my new C2 on Monday. Lo and behold, into my lap fell the "quick start" pages of which you speak. It made me laugh..., then I threw it in the back seat and sped on! I gather that since most major electronics, including washers and dryers now have this quick start-up manual layed out in a couple of pages, Porsche had to get in on the action in order to get some of us acquainted to our new ride.

I'm trying to do the break-in by the book, but thus far I've failed miserably. I tried to keep the RPM's less than 4200, but several times already that power lust has gotten the better of me, and before I know it, I've already shot up to about the 4500 range. Then of course the silly grin on my face quickly fades for the disgust in myself. I then curse myself for not having better self control. Oh, but can you blame me?
How about the "suggestion" of not making too many short trips - well I didn't do too well with that one either since all by buddies and neighbours came over for a spin; you certainly can't blame them now, could you?

Mine is white with the same wheels as yours am722 - the wife picked them out. I love this car, I can't wait to get up again tomorrow just so that I can drive it!

T
Old 03-19-2009, 11:19 PM
am722
Drifting

Originally Posted by triqsee
I'm trying to do the break-in by the book, but thus far I've failed miserably. I tried to keep the RPM's less than 4200, but several times already that power lust has gotten the better of me, and before I know it, I've already shot up to about the 4500 range.
T
Tell me about it. I shook hands with the redline about an hour after I picked it up. Life is too short for break in periods.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:25 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by jfr0317
I got nothing remotely like that with mine. Of course, you did buy it from Likemystoppie?, right?
Originally Posted by am722
Hey hey hey!!!

The pamphlet I made said: "Good Day/Night. Sit down. Shut up, start the engine, and DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT. Repeat. Over and Over. Or- Your friends at PAG/PCNA will be forced to repossess the car from your pansey ***!"

- but I think you're safe Aaron... lol! Good boy!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:27 PM
jlinmd
Racer

Originally Posted by triqsee
I just picked up my new C2 on Monday. Lo and behold, into my lap fell the "quick start" pages of which you speak. It made me laugh..., then I threw it in the back seat and sped on! I gather that since most major electronics, including washers and dryers now have this quick start-up manual layed out in a couple of pages, Porsche had to get in on the action in order to get some of us acquainted to our new ride.

I'm trying to do the break-in by the book, but thus far I've failed miserably. I tried to keep the RPM's less than 4200, but several times already that power lust has gotten the better of me, and before I know it, I've already shot up to about the 4500 range. Then of course the silly grin on my face quickly fades for the disgust in myself. I then curse myself for not having better self control. Oh, but can you blame me?
How about the "suggestion" of not making too many short trips - well I didn't do too well with that one either since all by buddies and neighbours came over for a spin; you certainly can't blame them now, could you?

Mine is white with the same wheels as yours am722 - the wife picked them out. I love this car, I can't wait to get up again tomorrow just so that I can drive it!

T
Don't feel bad. I've used Launch Control twice already and I'll be breaking the 1000mi mark in a few days.

Quick Reply: "Getting to Know Your Porsche Sports Car," or "OMFG! what's a 911?"