Visited the Jaguar and Porsche dealership today

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 01:43 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Visited the Jaguar and Porsche dealership today

First of all, I live in Guatemala, Central America

I used to own a 964 C4 year 1990 that I sold, how much do I regret this ! It had only 20K miles

Now I want to buy a new sports car and I am taking my time to check all options available on the market and then take my decission around June

Here in my country the same dealer sells Jaguar and Porsche, it's an old and very respectable company

Well, I visited them today and wanted to check 2 cars:

- Jaguar XKR: black with charcoal interior -- What a beatiful car ! It looks stunning outside, inside it's also beatiful, but a bit old man's taste. It had 20" wheels and the engine sounded nice. "Normal" paddles on the steering wheel, very impressed !

- 997.2 C4S PDK: arctic silver with red interior -- Immediately I felt at home, so to say. Incredible how Porsche has "evolved" the 911 so delicately, as not to make you feel it's completely a different car compared to an older version. Everything inside felt in the right place, but the red interior was definetely not my taste. But the engine sound... Wow ! The boxer engine is really something different and unique

Summary:The XKR is the more beatiful car and something I could live with every day, but at the end, I would take the 911 instead. Don't know why exactly, but that would be my emotional decission today
Old 03-17-2009, 02:49 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

before I bought my 997.1 I looked very hard that the Jaguar XKR one almost identical to the one you looked at. And I would agree the XKR is one of the most beautiful cars on the road. BUT and this is a big one for me. It drove like a Ford. If looks are at the top of your list in the decision making department you could not pick a better car then the Jag. If a passion for driving is tops... Porsche
Old 03-17-2009, 02:52 PM
v21
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 964C4
First of all, I live in Guatemala, Central America

I used to own a 964 C4 year 1990 that I sold, how much do I regret this ! It had only 20K miles

Now I want to buy a new sports car and I am taking my time to check all options available on the market and then take my decission around June

Here in my country the same dealer sells Jaguar and Porsche, it's an old and very respectable company

Well, I visited them today and wanted to check 2 cars:

- Jaguar XKR: black with charcoal interior -- What a beatiful car ! It looks stunning outside, inside it's also beatiful, but a bit old man's taste. It had 20" wheels and the engine sounded nice. "Normal" paddles on the steering wheel, very impressed !

- 997.2 C4S PDK: arctic silver with red interior -- Immediately I felt at home, so to say. Incredible how Porsche has "evolved" the 911 so delicately, as not to make you feel it's completely a different car compared to an older version. Everything inside felt in the right place, but the red interior was definetely not my taste. But the engine sound... Wow ! The boxer engine is really something different and unique

Summary:The XKR is the more beatiful car and something I could live with every day, but at the end, I would take the 911 instead. Don't know why exactly, but that would be my emotional decission today

How about buying it in the US and importing?
Old 03-17-2009, 03:13 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by v21
How about buying it in the US and importing?
Which one ?
Old 03-17-2009, 03:26 PM
v21
Intermediate

Either one. Or the Porsche since that's the one you like but would rather pick another interior color for it.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:26 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

The 911 and the XKR are 'apples and oranges.' It's purely personal choice. You know what most people prefer (myself included) in this forum.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Sorry Charlie. No ticky no tocky!

You'll sign a 'no export agreement' for PCNA for any car purchased here in the states. You agree to keep the car in the states for either 1 or 2 years then you can export. Otherwise face being sued by PCNA.

The sellling dealership will be sued as well. - And PCNA will follow through. Make no mistake.

There's a dealership on the east coast who was famous for exporting. Their numbers have dropped in sales over 73%. Not to mention the stiff penalties by PCNA.

Lifes a bitch. lol
Old 03-17-2009, 04:09 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

How many quetzales for a 997?
Old 03-17-2009, 04:14 PM
v21
Intermediate

Interesting, though it makes sense, I didn't know PCNA had jumped to quash arbitrage opportunities amongst its cars aficionados
Old 03-17-2009, 04:17 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the XKR started life with its designer saying; "This car has to hold two sets of golf clubs....." so it is not exactly a 'sports' car.

It is much larger outside, far, far smaller inside.
It weighs LOTS OF KILOS more than the dainty, Margot Fontaine-like 997 so the extra horses don't really matter.

(But actually, I must confess the Jag is a good car, even a very good car - just that its not a GREAT one.)
Old 03-17-2009, 04:22 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

1.) Export -- If I buy this car and import it to my country, is there any problem ?

http://www.rpmsportscars.com/door35.htm

2.) Price -- Here the 997.2 C4S costs $ 140K with all taxes included -- Too much dinero...
Old 03-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by v21
Interesting, though it makes sense, I didn't know PCNA had jumped to quash arbitrage opportunities amongst its cars aficionados
simple economics myfriend. makes perfect sense.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went car shopping with a friend at the weekend and one of the cars he wanted to drive was the XK-R. Admittedly this was the "old" XK-R and not the new one with the LSD and 500+ hp.

It's surprisingly tossable! The harder you drive it the more road feel it offers up. I was not expecting this at all. But on a road I know really well it was impressive. It's not a 911 but it's much closer than you would expect. In a straight line it's deceptively quick - there's a bellow from the V8 and the next thing you're in triple digits. Brakes were Alcons which is part of an $8K option and they really hauled down. Much better than the Gallardo's crappy ceramics. It's also a lot more luxurious and quieter at speed than the 911.

If you're happy trading a little out and out speed and handling this could be a great car for someone who prefers something a little different.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:41 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Really? I don't remember signing such an agreement. Perhaps the dealer knew we lived in the US- we had bought an Audi from them previously.

What is to stop, say, a third person buying the car and then selling it to our friend in Guatemala?

Also exporting will do nothing for any import taxes imposed by the destination country. (I visited Buenos Aires and was shocked that a 997 Targa STARTS at about $220k there- That is USD not pesos!)

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Sorry Charlie. No ticky no tocky!

You'll sign a 'no export agreement' for PCNA for any car purchased here in the states. You agree to keep the car in the states for either 1 or 2 years then you can export. Otherwise face being sued by PCNA.

The sellling dealership will be sued as well. - And PCNA will follow through. Make no mistake.

There's a dealership on the east coast who was famous for exporting. Their numbers have dropped in sales over 73%. Not to mention the stiff penalties by PCNA.

Lifes a bitch. lol
Old 03-17-2009, 07:06 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

1.) Export -- If I buy this car and import it to my country, is there any problem ?

http://www.rpmsportscars.com/door35.htm

2.) Price -- Here the 997.2 C4S costs $ 140K with all taxes included -- Too much dinero...

You will not have any problem with Porsche North America if the vehicle is used, exactly like the link you have. Exporting a car out of US is very easy, I have done it many times for friends overseas. The hard part is usually the country where it is going. Custom, duties, and vehicle regulations. Find out on your end the process before you go further.

Quick Reply: Visited the Jaguar and Porsche dealership today