Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALTERNATOR SAGA

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009 | 03:47 PM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Default ALTERNATOR SAGA

Last October my car died and the dealership replaced the alternator and battery under warranty. Then in January the new alternator died. The dealership replaced it and everything was fine, until today. This morning it was slow to crank over, so I took it in to the dealership. They couldn't belive it themselves, but they said it was the alternator again. So, they want to keep it for several days to test everything before they give it back to me. Meanwhile they loaned me a Mazda 6.
Anyone else ever have a problem like this??
Mr. B
Old 03-13-2009 | 03:58 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I heard that they were replacing a wiring harness in there to solve this problem. Can't believe they haven't read that TSB.
Old 03-13-2009 | 07:09 PM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I heard that they were replacing a wiring harness in there to solve this problem. Can't believe they haven't read that TSB.
The dealership installed the new alternator and checked everything, including the wiring harness. They'll keep the car over the weekend and re-check everything.
Mr. B
Old 03-14-2009 | 09:15 AM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

this is wild... please keep us updated.
Old 03-14-2009 | 10:18 AM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Default Time

Originally Posted by GeoT3
Except for the PITA it is to keep taking the car in, everything has been covered under warranty, so that's one good thing.
Mr. B
Old 03-16-2009 | 11:05 AM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Default Called this AM

Originally Posted by GeoT3
I called the dealership this morning.
They said they checked everything, inc. the wiring harness and everything checks out fine.
So, I'm on my way to get the car.
The thing is tho, they said the same thing last time when they installed the previous alternator!!
Mr. B
Old 03-16-2009 | 03:41 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

"I heard that they were replacing a wiring harness in there to solve this problem. Can't believe they haven't read that TSB"

I had this problem and the run around for a year+ until they finally replaced the melted wiring harness. It was right in front of them the entire time but failed to deal with it until I pointed out the problem. Which was pointed out to me on this forum. Make them check the harness again to see if it has heat damage. Prior to the fix I had a few batteries replaced and 2 Alternators replaced and then a starter due to the harness damage.

I hope this helps you.
Old 03-16-2009 | 03:53 PM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Default Yeah

Originally Posted by Bigwave
"I heard that they were replacing a wiring harness in there to solve this problem. Can't believe they haven't read that TSB"

I had this problem and the run around for a year+ until they finally replaced the melted wiring harness. It was right in front of them the entire time but failed to deal with it until I pointed out the problem. Which was pointed out to me on this forum. Make them check the harness again to see if it has heat damage. Prior to the fix I had a few batteries replaced and 2 Alternators replaced and then a starter due to the harness damage.
I hope this helps you.
Thanks.
I pointed all of this out to them and they assured me they checked everything and everything (inc. the wiring harness) was fine.

We'll see.
Mr. B

Quick Reply: ALTERNATOR SAGA