Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving up to a 05 or 06 997...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009 | 07:31 PM
tx targa
Rennlist Member

Default Moving up to a 05 or 06 997...

Sold my beloved SC, was gonna get a 993. But then I found out for 5-7 K more I could get a base 997-- with a CPO warranty! Now I'm thinking the resale is going to be better on a 997S (and I love all the S features/looks) so I'm leaning that way. I need to stay in the 40's. CPO is a must. Looking for arctic silver or grey coupe, manual, lobster forks, heated seats, Bose would be nice, don't care much about other options.

- Am I dreaming trying to eek into an 997.1 S CPO car in the 40's?

- Any major issues with 05's solved in 06 or other reasons to stretch my budget for an 06?

Thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2009 | 07:58 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

don't think 997S is in the 40s yet.

no major issue for 997S since launch that I know of.
Old 03-12-2009 | 09:03 PM
Jetpilot
Racer

Keep your eyes out - 997S will be able to be had in the high 40's by year end.

I had a very rare RMS issue last week after the track and it was in and out in a day. My 997.1 (non S) is an early production - don't le this scare you...I also have a cpo warranty and it was covered. Again - not track related and very rare in the 997 - keep your eye out for one - you never know a good deal is around the corner
Old 03-12-2009 | 10:31 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Been in an 05 S for a month now. Paid $46k. Not CPOd. Plenty of cars out there with desparate sellers.
Negotiate hard. You'll be surprised what you can get grab.

993 is a great Porsche Car. The 997 is better. Don't even bother looking at a 996.
Old 03-12-2009 | 10:51 PM
tx targa
Rennlist Member

Targa Tim love the blue & black wheels.

Jetpilot, did the RMS result in massive oil leaks or did the engine die? How do you like your car on the track?

kdrug, congrats, thanks for the price info. Did you get yours at a Porsche dealer?
Old 03-12-2009 | 11:01 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default no need for the S if $ is a large factor....

If price is a big factor (like it is for many these days) my advice would be to get a lower mileage better optioned possibly 1 yr newer 997 CPO'd at mid + 40's.... Many none S cars out there optioned as well if not better then some S cars.....The S costs roughly 15-18% premium over a none S and it is far from near 20% better in any category. Speed, handling, style, etc etc.... less brake fade at the track from the big reds and a tick quicker but from there it is a TIGHT if any margin between an S and none S..... Dare I say the 15-18% premium $ saved put into the car later in the right mods (coil overs, headers/exhaust, etc) you may have a more unique, better performing car then an S.......

No major 05 issues....CPO'd car is a huge piece of mind IMO

Originally Posted by tx targa
Sold my beloved SC, was gonna get a 993. But then I found out for 5-7 K more I could get a base 997-- with a CPO warranty! Now I'm thinking the resale is going to be better on a 997S (and I love all the S features/looks) so I'm leaning that way. I need to stay in the 40's. CPO is a must. Looking for arctic silver or grey coupe, manual, lobster forks, heated seats, Bose would be nice, don't care much about other options.

- Am I dreaming trying to eek into an 997.1 S CPO car in the 40's?

- Any major issues with 05's solved in 06 or other reasons to stretch my budget for an 06?

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2009 | 11:10 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Targa Tim love the blue & black wheels.

Jetpilot, did the RMS result in massive oil leaks or did the engine die? How do you like your car on the track?

kdrug, congrats, thanks for the price info. Did you get yours at a Porsche dealer?

No. Car was bought from a friend who is a hi-line wholesaler. He picked up the car direct from Porsche Financial on a lease turn in.
Old 03-12-2009 | 11:15 PM
tx targa
Rennlist Member

Very interesting. The non S cars are attractive price-wise. I need to start paying more attention to the options on the base Carreras, now that I'm learning what they all are. That may be a good way to go. It may boil down to paying now or paying later, especially if track performance comes into the equation. I will eventually work up the nerve to track it. I did with my old SC and loved it.
Old 03-12-2009 | 11:19 PM
am722
Drifting

My last 997 was a plain old C2, and I loved it. No need for the S, particularly coming from an SC.
Old 03-12-2009 | 11:32 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default no worries

The none S car can take a track day (s) no problem and do great.....

Very interesting. The non S cars are attractive price-wise. I need to start paying more attention to the options on the base Carreras, now that I'm learning what they all are. That may be a good way to go. It may boil down to paying now or paying later, especially if track performance comes into the equation. I will eventually work up the nerve to track it. I did with my old SC and loved it.
Old 03-12-2009 | 11:41 PM
tx targa
Rennlist Member

In one long lunch I drove a 993 (C4S), 996, and then a 997. Same route, speeds. Amazing the difference from SC to 993 then better with 996,(in some ways), and even better with 997. (Also amazing how close the 993 and 997 were in price) I'm sure I would be thrilled with 997 base for awhile. Most non-Porsche folks don't know the difference, the differences aren't as obvious cosmetically like M series BMWs.
Old 03-12-2009 | 11:44 PM
Bartolo
5th Gear

Originally Posted by mickfluff
If price is a big factor (like it is for many these days) my advice would be to get a lower mileage better optioned possibly 1 yr newer 997 CPO'd at mid + 40's.... Many none S cars out there optioned as well if not better then some S cars.....The S costs roughly 15-18% premium over a none S and it is far from near 20% better in any category. Speed, handling, style, etc etc.... less brake fade at the track from the big reds and a tick quicker but from there it is a TIGHT if any margin between an S and none S..... Dare I say the 15-18% premium $ saved put into the car later in the right mods (coil overs, headers/exhaust, etc) you may have a more unique, better performing car then an S.......

No major 05 issues....CPO'd car is a huge piece of mind IMO
Is "S" really adding 15-18% to used 997's? The original msrp of that option, I thought, was $10,700, which I think is a little less than that I believe. I'm shopping CPO 997's too and was unsure whether, over time, the S "option" becomes more, or less, valuable than when the car was brand new.
Old 03-12-2009 | 11:57 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default Yes at least what I have found

Yes....ballpark.... IMO for example 05 none S car can be seen near 43K, where same car in an S you may find for closer to lets say 50K range....equal miles etc...I am speaking % of the used price not new. I think closer to 15% then the 15-18% range I initially wrote maybe more accurate.

Originally Posted by Bartolo
Is "S" really adding 15-18% to used 997's? The original msrp of that option, I thought, was $10,700, which I think is a little less than that I believe. I'm shopping CPO 997's too and was unsure whether, over time, the S "option" becomes more, or less, valuable than when the car was brand new.
Old 03-13-2009 | 12:02 AM
tx targa
Rennlist Member

As the sportier version of a sports car I think the S is always going to be worth more. I think it would be very hard to sell a non S Boxster now. For not very much more, why NOT get more power, bigger wheels, etc, etc. The question is over time how much more? Right now what I'm seeing is as little as 5 to as much as 10K more for an 05 or 06 S. Does that sound right to everyone? But prices are all over the place.
Old 03-13-2009 | 12:05 AM
mikesh
Intermediate

I just got an 05 non-S, cpo'ed, for 43.5k. It was from a dealer. It was pretty well optioned, nav, xenon, bose, 19"s, power/heated seats, sport steering wheel, chrono. I was just like you when I was looking, I really wanted an S, but in the end it was just a bit more than I wanted to pay. I've been very happy with the non-S. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten them to 42k if I was a bit more patient, but I had been looking for a while, it was the color I wanted, and It was local.

But as far as an S, I think you can definitely get one in the high 40's. It depends on if your "40's" is 49k or 46k. 49k for sure, 46k probably not. At least not cpo'ed. The dealer I bought my car from had an CPO'ed 06 arctic S w/ X51 with like 6500 miles on it, and they were asking 53.

In general, you can get probably 10% off from a dealers list price on a used 997. They have more margin built into these than new cars. Guys correct me if you think that's out of line?

I would definitely get a cpo though.

Quick Reply: Moving up to a 05 or 06 997...