Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will it happen to us? and when.... happened to 993 owners, 996 owners....

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at the Panamera. Latest design, right? The instrument cluster is very very close to 997.
I happen to like the passenger side treatment of the dash on the Panamera (997 is a bit plain)
and would like to see that incorporated in future 911s.

I agree with Edgy01..it will be a variation on a theme. 996 interior--not quite up the the feel of the rest of the car.

A good friend of mine had 4 70-80 911s. As soon as he saw my car, he was amazed at how it brought back modern styling clues to his earlier 911s-exterior (lights) and interior-insturments. Now he wants another Porsche.

Last edited by Jerry Fisher; 03-12-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:20 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
The whole "hard core sports car" buyer/owner with no care for the interior isn't something I personally believe in....

Interior design matters....

If it did not then why are the cars of owners that do not care not gutted, stripped to baremetal to save weight thus increase performance?

I agree the 997's interior is leaps above a 996....
Hi Mick,

don't mean to argue with you.

but if my 997 comes with either the 996 or 993 interior, I will still buy it.

having an interior that is not attractive is very much different than baremetal interior.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:29 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry Fisher
Take a look at the Panamera. Latest design, right? The instrument cluster is very very close to 997.
I happen to like the passenger side treatment of the dash on the Panamera (997 is a bit plain)
and would like to see that incorporated in future 911s.....
The Panamera center console is a disaster if you ask me.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:16 AM
dD/dt
Racer

Default Not just the interior

On the Corvette it's not just the interior. The car also has to come from a Chevy dealer. That's a big deal for a lot of us, and it drags the car downmarket.

I have a Land Cruiser, and it's the same thing there. Because it's a LC, Toyota charges German-car parts and labor for everything. Granted, it was really expensive when new. But when I take it in, I have to stand 3 deep in line behind everyone getting the oil changed in their leased Yaris or Camry. The service guy doesn't know my name. There's no loaner. I'm just one of the unwashed masses.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:43 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dD/dt
On the Corvette it's not just the interior. The car also has to come from a Chevy dealer. That's a big deal for a lot of us, and it drags the car downmarket.

I have a Land Cruiser, and it's the same thing there. Because it's a LC, Toyota charges German-car parts and labor for everything. Granted, it was really expensive when new. But when I take it in, I have to stand 3 deep in line behind everyone getting the oil changed in their leased Yaris or Camry. The service guy doesn't know my name. There's no loaner. I'm just one of the unwashed masses.
While I've never thought of owning a Vette, the idea that it's pull down market because it comes from a Chevy dealer is certainly one I would have never thought of ..............
Old 03-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

adias---yes the connsole is "busy" but the rest of the setup is pretty good.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:23 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Agreed

Disaster is an understatement if that's possible.... train wreck and way to "space ship futuristic looking" in a very bad way....

Originally Posted by ADias
Old 03-12-2009, 10:33 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default No argue

No worries, just a spirited topic and by no means want to argue. Just differences of opinions which is what forums are all about...

If my 997 came with a 996 interior or one I dis-liked I would have gone with a NSX (dare I state here but being honest....) and compromised some of my things in the decsision criteria process to get the 997. I Maybe different then many on my criteria but here are the things that made me go 997 on top of the standard goodness the 997 comes with.

Back seats - Yes important to me, new father here and sunday ocean drives with my wife and child was importsnt to me.

Interior - I love the gauge cluster set up, love the silver gauges (so much it was the first mod to swap out the black for silver). I maybe one of the few that like the gimikie sport chono wart.... My s2000 digital read out was painful.

Reliability - For a semi exotic car has a great track record of reliability overall. Maybe a notch below the NSX but light years ahead of entry level AM's. Lotus, ferrari's etc...

I liked that the 997 does a lot well and many things Great.... one thing that I do really like is the interior...Can't see in the pics but swapped out my black belts for silver, very subtle difference (not like red or yellow belts that stand out in a nice way also) and compliments the cluster and even pedal kit.

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Hi Mick,

don't mean to argue with you.

but if my 997 comes with either the 996 or 993 interior, I will still buy it.

having an interior that is not attractive is very much different than baremetal interior.

Last edited by mickfluff; 12-06-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

I have the silver gauges and would prefer the black. I am an old guy so I remember the early 911s and their black gauge faces.

A car's interior is important. I like the interior of the F430 Ferrari much more than the 360 but the exterior styling of the 360 appeals to me more. What's the difference..can't afford either.

I love the 997.1...its a magnificent automobile in every way.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:53 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default Black is an easy swap...

If you want black I am sure many black owners would swap out their cluster and trade.... dealer charge to re=program with accurat mileage and install etc is about $200.... you could make that up in the swap as I believe many black gauge owners would swap their black plus 200 for your silver.... at least I would have...

Originally Posted by Jerry Fisher
I have the silver gauges and would prefer the black. I am an old guy so I remember the early 911s and their black gauge faces.

A car's interior is important. I like the interior of the F430 Ferrari much more than the 360 but the exterior styling of the 360 appeals to me more. What's the difference..can't afford either.

I love the 997.1...its a magnificent automobile in every way.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Wayward
Advanced

The 996 had a horrific interior.

Pre-996 interiors were little changed since 1963. I realize that the majority posting here at best are familiar with only the 993 as the 'older' 911. Yet that car was the pinnacle of all 911s pre-dating it, and all such interiors were very similar, and a desirable component, in line with the timeless nature of the exterior. The departure of the 996 was, in great part, an attempt to lure comfort-oriented buyers to the marque.

911's are to a great, great degree about tradition. Those who balk at that should buy a Z car (lots of women do).
Old 03-13-2009, 03:55 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The Lexus leather and wood package ... My eyes are burning ...

Originally Posted by Rob in WA
I actually like the 996 interior better than the 997. The lines flow w/the car better and the "aluminum look" ( painted plastic ) on the 997 is embarrassment.
Even 350Z have real aluminum. Porsche was going backwards w/the 997 interior trying to invoke the air-cooled look while using parts from the Cayenne.

Granted the 996 interior needs to have full leather and some other bits, but IMHO the lines are more modern and go w/he car better.

The 997 exterior looks better and the 2009s are the first 911 since my 2001 that I'm tempted to upgrade to.

I know wood isn't for everyone, but I really like my car's interior. If it only had Launch Control.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by ADias
ADias- I'm putting you in time out for being a 'negative nancy'!
Old 03-13-2009, 11:47 AM
lig
Racer

In this car - the interior is important to me. I'm not a big fan of the 996 interior. If the 997 had the 996 interior I would have chosen a 993 instead.

If this were my track **** the interior wouldn't matter at all. Think Lotus Elise/Exige.

To be honest - I don't care that much for the interior of the standard 997. Without full leather and all that wonderful stitching it doesn't look like a 80-100K car to me.

IMO this car is more of a GT than an outright sports car so in a GT the interior definitely makes a statement.

My car's interior is probably a little too blingy for some here but I wanted to break up the all black...

Apologies for the cell phone pic...

Old 03-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Hey lig,

love your steering wheel!

Quick Reply: Will it happen to us? and when.... happened to 993 owners, 996 owners....