Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will it happen to us? and when.... happened to 993 owners, 996 owners....

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 06:14 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
I agree that the inside matters. Otherwise I'd just go buy a Corvette.
That is odd coming from a Porsche salesman and I assume you said it in jest.

If one chooses a 911 vs a Vette for the interior, I refrain to say what I think... I owned 911s and the latest '08 C6. However good a C6 is, I sold it, not because of its interior, but because it's not a 911.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
.... 998 soon will be hear and curious if our 997's will look as dated as I feel the interiors of 996' looks in comparison. Thoughts? We know it well, but guess I am curious on when.... did not happen when 997.2 was released and hoping it does not happen when the 998 comes out....

In my 997.2 interior there is not much I would want to change. Sure, not having that SIM slot there when I don't have the phone option would be nice. Having a fob RFID only starter slot rather than a metal key slot should already be there. Beyond that, the car is pretty well set up. I'm not in fear of the car looking dated.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:49 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Realist

I applaud him for stating the obvious.... Do many here truly believe a stock 997is in the same league as lets say a z06 (same $ range car) in the performance sports car criteria comparison.... yikes... he actually gained points as a porsche salesman IMO as being honest.

Some criteria used to judge a sports car....
acceleration.....on all levels 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc...
Top speed..... to me a useless point but many do factor
Handling.....lets compare track times?
Braking.....hmmmmm here maybe close?
How many seats....Two seats typically defines a "sports car"....

Porsche does a fantastic job at delivering everything well in the N/A 997's and some things GREAT....all in one package... even adding back seats..... but if someones main and total concern is the best sports car for the $ not sure the 997 is that car....

porsche is a great car, amazing car, I am a fan and an owner, but Porsche does have something even more amazing that took 40+ YRS to build and that is Brand presence.......

Spirited topic here, no grenades and all above board...

Originally Posted by ADias

If one chooses a 911 vs a Vette for the interior, I refrain to say what I think... I owned 911s and the latest '08 C6. However good a C6 is, I sold it, not because of its interior, but because it's not a 911.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:56 PM
v21
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I guess the brand and history command a premium. Most don't mind it. How would you explain the "image" problems that saddle the Corvette which never really took off despite providing the best bang or the buck?

I would never even consider one personally.

But in 2009 you'd want Porsche not charge you for a multi-function steering wheel, power seats, Bluetooth, high-end sound system (the Bose system isn't even that good in fact), color crests on the rims, etc. on a $90K+ car.

That's the price of admission I suppose.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:38 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default Good points....

Some valid points no doubt...

Never say never, I for now would say never but the ZR1, in person, was quite the car.... a beast.

Originally Posted by v21
Well, I guess the brand and history command a premium. Most don't mind it. How would you explain the "image" problems that saddle the Corvette which never really took off despite providing the best bang or the buck?

I would never even consider one personally.

But in 2009 you'd want Porsche not charge you for a multi-function steering wheel, power seats, Bluetooth, high-end sound system (the Bose system isn't even that good in fact), color crests on the rims, etc. on a $90K+ car.

That's the price of admission I suppose.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually like the 996 interior better than the 997. The lines flow w/the car better and the "aluminum look" ( painted plastic ) on the 997 is embarrassment. Even 350Z have real aluminum. Porsche was going backwards w/the 997 interior trying to invoke the air-cooled look while using parts from the Cayenne.

Granted the 996 interior needs to have full leather and some other bits, but IMHO the lines are more modern and go w/he car better.

The 997 exterior looks better and the 2009s are the first 911 since my 2001 that I'm tempted to upgrade to.

I know wood isn't for everyone, but I really like my car's interior. If it only had Launch Control.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:51 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default nice....

I like your interior as well, nice job......

Originally Posted by Rob in WA
I actually like the 996 interior better than the 997. The lines flow w/the car better and the "aluminum look" ( painted plastic ) on the 997 is embarrassment. Even 350Z have real aluminum. Porsche was going backwards w/the 997 interior trying to invoke the air-cooled look while using parts from the Cayenne.

Granted the 996 interior needs to have full leather and some other bits, but IMHO the lines are more modern and go w/he car better.

The 997 exterior looks better and the 2009s are the first 911 since my 2001 that I'm tempted to upgrade to.

I know wood isn't for everyone, but I really like my car's interior. If it only had Launch Control.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Rob in WA
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mickfluff
I like your interior as well, nice job......
Tanks mang
Old 03-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by ADias

Come now ADias! You know me!!! Don't throw what I do in my face!!

I'll give you a big ole NOOGIE!!

My point stands: A Corvette is a great car *if* merely just looking at the numbers and the way the exterior 'looks'.

The interior is disgusting. And honestly, they'd be much better off to say on the window sticker " please excuse the interior, we know its' really not worthy of the type of American Sports Car we're REALLY trying to portray"

I think at least then you couldn't argue about their interiors, and also maybe even applaud their honesty??

Sad thing is: I WISH either GM or Ford gave us a TRUE American made super car that rivals that of the Porsche.

They think it's all about the money. Which is one of the main reasons they're in the bind that they're in.

It's not all about the money. Otherwise everyone would just buy a Domestic for 50% off sticker!

But who am I but one person. Heck, I'm not even a CEO. So don't listen to me!

(sorry for the rant)...

Oh, Nice Wood Rob!
Old 03-11-2009, 09:15 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob in WA

I like your interior a lot. Is the aluminum around the gauges an option? I have a 40th anniversary and have the same aluminum.

I dont see any issues with my 40th anniversary 996 interior at all. I think I prefer the 997's but it works for me. I have most of the modern conveniences - full leather, seat warmers, nav etc. And the car is 5 years old now.

I dont think the interiors of the 996 or 997 will date badly at all.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:33 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Come now ADias! You know me!!! Don't throw what I do in my face!!

I'll give you a big ole NOOGIE!!

My point stands: A Corvette is a great car *if* merely just looking at the numbers and the way the exterior 'looks'.

The interior is disgusting. And honestly, they'd be much better off to say on the window sticker " please excuse the interior, we know its' really not worthy of the type of American Sports Car we're REALLY trying to portray"

I think at least then you couldn't argue about their interiors, and also maybe even applaud their honesty??

Sad thing is: I WISH either GM or Ford gave us a TRUE American made super car that rivals that of the Porsche.

They think it's all about the money. Which is one of the main reasons they're in the bind that they're in.

It's not all about the money. Otherwise everyone would just buy a Domestic for 50% off sticker!

But who am I but one person. Heck, I'm not even a CEO. So don't listen to me!

(sorry for the rant)...
You miss the point. Yes a Vette C6/Z06/ZR1 is a great sports car, but it is NOT a 911. It may perform in certain areas better than a 911 but it does not have the g-kart feel of a 911. So if one loves the center driving position of a 911 and its prodigious rear traction and its dynamics, one will not have those on a Vette. That is all I'm saying and I, better than most here, do know, as I owned both. And I repeat... interior notwithstanding.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Rob in WA
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rodsky
I like your interior a lot. Is the aluminum around the gauges an option? I have a 40th anniversary and have the same aluminum.

I dont see any issues with my 40th anniversary 996 interior at all. I think I prefer the 997's but it works for me. I have most of the modern conveniences - full leather, seat warmers, nav etc. And the car is 5 years old now.

I dont think the interiors of the 996 or 997 will date badly at all.

The gauge rings weren't an option. I was one of the guinea pigs and painted them myself to match the other silver in the car. Now Eric at bumperplugs.com sells them.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:07 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

yah +1 its not going to be 998 its 991.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:22 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't mess with perfection ....
Attached Images  
Old 03-11-2009, 11:27 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Don't mess with perfection ....
Man! All that dash needs is a sport chrono and it would be perfect!

(yes, that was a joke)

Quick Reply: Will it happen to us? and when.... happened to 993 owners, 996 owners....