Pic Request: 997.2 key please

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADias
Now we are discussing a lousy key ???
Yep - you can skip this thread next time.

It is much improved as mentioned before. It's much better made - the old one felt REALLY cheap. That said, I do prefer the switchblade I had with my RS4. I'm also a big fan of the noise it makes when you first twist that key... It's part of the reason I missed my old 911.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:52 AM
dD/dt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by v21
When you press a button to start it, associated with the cranking + the exhaust sound, the feeling is even better: it's like starting a plane.

I am exaggerating but it isn't far-off.

Yes Porsche makes it about the car (fully aware of that) but they should also lead not catch-up all the time when it comes to convenience details such as these.

Love the touch-screen in 997.2. That's the way to go.
I don't know of any planes which require just a button push to start. And nobody say 'jets' because starting a turbine pretty much consumes all your attention. In fact, to me, what makes a plane exciting to start is that it takes a lot of attention to gauges, fuel flow, temperatures, etc, and has not been dumbed down like cars now to the point that you don't even have to know when to release the starter.

FWIW, I'm looking forward to unloading the BMW and getting back to Prosche with a real key. I just like keys. Not the little electronic transponder blocks.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Sadiq
Pro

I hate my mk1 key so much because of those god damn buttons. I wish there was no trunk open button on that key.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:36 AM
v21
Intermediate

It's been mentioned: it's similar to the 997.1 but anyone got a picture of their 997.2 key to put-up please?
Old 03-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I came home after a weekend away to find a homeless person had spent some quality time in my 997. I distinctly remember locking the car; best guess to why it wasn't is that both the wife and I were going in and out of the car before we left, and since we each had keys, both thought we were locking the car...however, due to the key design, one of us unlocked it.

A button each for locking and unlocking...like every other keyless entry I can remember using...is more assuring and more convenient than counting the blinkers to confirm the car is locked.

Alan- don't wanna hit you when you're down; but if either of you locked the car, and then just hit the 'unluck' button; after 30 seconds if the car isn't touched or opened it'll 'lock' again. All by itself.

One of you MUST have gone into the car and forgotten to 'lock it'.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'll take a pic and post it when I get home Thurs night...
Old 03-11-2009, 10:58 AM
v21
Intermediate

Thank you.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:32 AM
machina
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keys...
Attached Images    
Old 03-11-2009, 11:39 AM
v21
Intermediate

Thank you for the comparative pictures.

I, too, prefer the new one by the looks of it: all black is good. The size seems right.

Porsche has got to get ride of the actual key IMHO. It's so out-dated.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Alan- don't wanna hit you when you're down; but if either of you locked the car, and then just hit the 'unluck' button; after 30 seconds if the car isn't touched or opened it'll 'lock' again. All by itself.

One of you MUST have gone into the car and forgotten to 'lock it'.
or maybe one of them hit the !@#$#@$@#***@##ing trunk button, which for some reason often doesn't let the car lock on its own after inactivity
Old 03-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Sadiq
Pro

@ machina:

Thanks for the pics, great comparative shots. Looks-wise, it's hard to have a preference (IMHO) for one over the other, but the buttons on the new one look a LOT more sturdy.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:53 AM
machina
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It just feels better, its solid and heavy. Like a mont-blanc compared to a bic.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:55 PM
9elf S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I came home after a weekend away to find a homeless person had spent some quality time in my 997. I distinctly remember locking the car; best guess to why it wasn't is that both the wife and I were going in and out of the car before we left, and since we each had keys, both thought we were locking the car...however, due to the key design, one of us unlocked it.

A button each for locking and unlocking...like every other keyless entry I can remember using...is more assuring and more convenient than counting the blinkers to confirm the car is locked.
We need to hear the rest of the story. What the hell would a homeless person do in a 911. While they are fun to drive, it's not exactly a comfortable car to hang out in.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by 9elf S
We need to hear the rest of the story. What the hell would a homeless person do in a 911. While they are fun to drive, it's not exactly a comfortable car to hang out in.
+1!!

did anyone notice that one side of the key it says "HAA!"

is that Porsche laughing at us? LOL
Old 03-11-2009, 02:59 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by machina
keys...
I do not care about keys, but seeing the pics 997.1 vs 997.2... PAG just used the same soft black plastic all-around, just like the 996 keys. In that case the plastic was very soft and it aged very quickly.

I also read somewhere that the new ring holder being metallic rattles w/ metallic key rings...

Quick Reply: Pic Request: 997.2 key please