Sponsored by:

As I wait another 30 minutes ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fjpdds
On the other side of the equation I went to an independent shop for my last oil change. They used Motul oil, not Mobil 1, hopefully a fine alternative for a car under warranty?
Motul is a good oil - many say it's better than M1. Keep in mind, everybody, that while M1 is a decent oil, the reason it's "porsche-recommended" is because of $$$. It's not the best oil, and porsches aren't designed with Mobil 1 in mind. In fact, Mobil 1 generally runs thin for its weight (i.e., worse high temperature protection than you think you're getting). That's why I filled up with Amsoil 5w40 Euro formula yesterday. About 1.5x as expensive as 5w30 Mobil 1, but well worth it, I feel.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:27 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sadiq
How does one disable this light? I'll be damned if I'm paying $600 for some grease monkey to change my oil and check the coolant level (20,000 mile service).
You can buy a Durametric tool for $250 that allows you to reset the light, read fault codes, see overrevs, etc. I emailed the guy who runs the company and asked if he could make something that just resets the service light bc I know there would be a lot of interest. He said that he was concerned about someone pirating the tool if he did that. At any rate, buying the tool is one solution that doesn't involve paying $600-750 each time the light comes on.

I took my car to Porsche of Downtown LA and asked them to reset the service light, and they refused to do it, even if I paid them for their time. Doesn't fit the m.o. of coercing people into paying $750 for an oil change and look over, I guess.

As for Edgy's comment, I am not so sure there is a way to disable the warnings permanently. If there was that would be a great option, since it is a really, really annoying "feature" on this car.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Contact PCNA,--let THEM know about one of their dealers and their service department.

This is why I change my own oil,--and the "engine service" light is disabled on my car.
Sadly, it has been my experience that PCNA doesn't put much effort into policing their dealers' service departments. I'm willing to bet I know this dealer and they are worse than you could imagine.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:20 PM
vanderflier
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you reset the "Service Now" indication by yourself or do you need to go to the dealership to let it done?
Lex
Artic silver Carrera 2, 2007
Old 03-17-2009, 12:28 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Originally Posted by Sadiq
Motul is a good oil - many say it's better than M1. Keep in mind, everybody, that while M1 is a decent oil, the reason it's "porsche-recommended" is because of $$$. It's not the best oil, and porsches aren't designed with Mobil 1 in mind. In fact, Mobil 1 generally runs thin for its weight (i.e., worse high temperature protection than you think you're getting). That's why I filled up with Amsoil 5w40 Euro formula yesterday. About 1.5x as expensive as 5w30 Mobil 1, but well worth it, I feel.
I agree totally Re Mobil 1, it is recommended because of marketing bucks! ANY oil on Porsche's list is fine.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:44 PM
997, esq
Racer

Originally Posted by vanderflier
Can you reset the "Service Now" indication by yourself or do you need to go to the dealership to let it done?
Lex
Artic silver Carrera 2, 2007
See my post above.

Quick Reply: As I wait another 30 minutes ...