Drifting

Received 397 Likes on 229 Posts

Bring back the dipstick!
Old 03-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Frino
Here are two suggestions that may help those paying to get their oil changed: Tell the service guy in advance that you want the oil underfilled by one quart and ask them to bring you back to the service bay when the job is done so they can demonstrate on the elec. dipstick that it's underfilled. If it's overfilled have them drain out a quart and re-measure.

Next time the vehicle is cold at home, add a 1/2 a quart or so to get the level right...I run at 3/4 full and don't add any oil until the level hits the lowest bar.
My question isn't pointed towards you Frino because I appreciate that you're posting up ways to help the OP but...

why the hell should anyone have to do any of that? In this instance the OP paid $240 to a supposedly qualified Porsche dealer and they couldn't even perform a proper oil change. Whether the range between the bars is tiny or not is also besides the point. The dealership is supposed to be qualified to fix anything on these cars let alone perform a stupid oil change.

I strongly suggest the OP immediately calls the Service Mgr and the General Mgr now. Let them know in no uncertain terms that negligence like this isn't acceptable and let them know that you will have no hesitation about contacting Porsche, PCNA and all the online forums you can think of. It's not blackmail, it's educating fellow P car enthusiasts and if the dealership can't complete a basic oil change Porsche and the rest of us should know that.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:48 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer "overfills" it every time. I don't think that it's a big deal at all. This has been discussed (at least once) before and nobody has had any problems with it (or, at least reported, it here).

Too much hysteria over this issue IMO.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Tinluver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Called my dealer this AM. Told him it looks like the oil gauge reads over top mark since their service a few months ago.He said don;t worry we always overfill alittle bit because they burn oil.?? If I worry about everything on this car it will become more work then fun
Old 03-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Tinluver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
My question isn't pointed towards you Frino because I appreciate that you're posting up ways to help the OP but...

why the hell should anyone have to do any of that? In this instance the OP paid $240 to a supposedly qualified Porsche dealer and they couldn't even perform a proper oil change. Whether the range between the bars is tiny or not is also besides the point. The dealership is supposed to be qualified to fix anything on these cars let alone perform a stupid oil change.

I strongly suggest the OP immediately calls the Service Mgr and the General Mgr now. Let them know in no uncertain terms that negligence like this isn't acceptable and let them know that you will have no hesitation about contacting Porsche, PCNA and all the online forums you can think of. It's not blackmail, it's educating fellow P car enthusiasts and if the dealership can't complete a basic oil change Porsche and the rest of us should know that.
You are absolutley right! But after that find a few dealer.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Da Hapa

why the hell should anyone have to do any of that?
I agree that it's ridiculous that an owner has to go to these lengths.

My understanding is that the oil is filled using the Porsche computer through the OBD port...so the mechanic hooks the car up to the computer, drains the oil, screws it back up and hits "enter" (or something) and the car automatically fills with oil...in this case it overfills beyond the upper hash mark.

So, in response to your question, either you deal with the fact that the Porsche software is programmed to overfill or you intervene and make sure that the oil is slightly lower than the upper hash mark.

As someone who is planning to keep my 911 for at least 5-10 years, I don't want to take the chance that continued overfills will come back to haunt me down the road.

One of these days I'm gonna change my own oil.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:38 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Frino
I agree that it's ridiculous that an owner has to go to these lengths.

My understanding is that the oil is filled using the Porsche computer through the OBD port.......

As someone who is planning to keep my 911 for at least 5-10 years, I don't want to take the chance that continued overfills will come back to haunt me down the road.

One of these days I'm gonna change my own oil.
Frino, after you do your first DIY oil change, you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

You don't even need ramps to do the oil change. I backed my car part of the way out of the garage so that the rear tires were about 2" from the entry point of the garage. Since most driveways are sloped away from the entrance to the garage, that gives you an extra 1" to 2" to work under the car.

An oil change will cost you $70 to $80 which includes 9 quarts of synthetic oil, an oil filter, and a replacement aluminum crush ring for the drain plug.

OC Ben did a great oil change DIY thread.

Last edited by gota911; 03-10-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:30 AM
jplanaux
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tinluver
Called my dealer this AM. Told him it looks like the oil gauge reads over top mark since their service a few months ago.He said don;t worry we always overfill alittle bit because they burn oil.?? If I worry about everything on this car it will become more work then fun
What about the cars that don't burn oil? Mine does not. And if it is overfilled, by how much? Mine had 1.2 qts too much.

My car is a keeper, so I want to keep the repairs to a min and extend the life anyway possible. I would rather worry about the oil level, than to worry about a major repair caused by an idiot service guy.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:36 AM
jplanaux
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tinluver
I think he just blew you off. Why would he do something that the manual specifically states not to do?
Attached Images  
Old 03-10-2009, 01:19 PM
cag64
Instructor

I agree, if I am paying "certified" porsche service people who want top dollar, the job needs to be completed flawlessly. Double check any work you get done prior to leaving, whether from the dealer or an independent. If you have issues make them fix it. I don't know about you, but I hate just giving my money away.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by George from MD
Bring back the dipstick!
Hey! Watch it George!

I'll put you in a 'time out'!
Old 03-16-2009, 01:23 AM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Contact PCNA,--let THEM know about one of their dealers and their service department.

This is why I change my own oil,--and the "engine service" light is disabled on my car.
How does one disable this light? I'll be damned if I'm paying $600 for some grease monkey to change my oil and check the coolant level (20,000 mile service).
Old 03-16-2009, 03:42 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Tell your service manager to turn the alerts off. I haven't gotten one of those pesky alerts in some time. I think they have a way to do that.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:46 AM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Tell your service manager to turn the alerts off. I haven't gotten one of those pesky alerts in some time. I think they have a way to do that.
what's a 'service manager?'
Old 03-16-2009, 08:11 AM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 14 Posts

On the other side of the equation I went to an independent shop for my last oil change. They used Motul oil, not Mobil 1, hopefully a fine alternative for a car under warranty?

Quick Reply: As I wait another 30 minutes ...