Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nissan GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I would have bought one had there been no markup or idiotic Nissan dealers. I like it...
Old 03-01-2009, 12:12 AM
Jlangmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hockeyman11385
Having driven the GT-R and a couple 911's, the GT-R is definitely much faster but I would rather have a Porsche. It may sound a little stupid but speed isn't everything and the 911 is a much more involving car. I would rather have a Carrera S than a GT-R any day of the week.

(Although it must be said that the infotainment system in the GT-R is pretty cool although definitely a gimmick.)
I'd be interested to know where the impression that the GTR is "definitely much" faster comes from.

Estimates vary on the 0-60 times, but the GTR is just at 4 seconds and some auto mag/show test drives put it just over that. Very fast, but not "much" faster than a 911, and measurably slower than many 911 models.

There was a link from a thread "GTR is starting to lose its shine..." somewhere in this forum, but the link is broken. A base 911 with PDK out-sprinted the GTR off the line. Add to that that the launch control feature used in the GTR is unreliable and potentially harmful to the car.

So, probably not faster 0-60.

Probably faster than the 911 around the track. But, the numbers thrown around have been contested, and some of the earlier times for the GTR were likely in a non-stock model. So, over the 8 minute Nurburgring, the GTR beats the 911 by a few seconds. But Porsche claims times of 7:54 or so for the GTR, with a stock setup, and the 911 TT, GT3, GT3 RS and GT2 all are faster. And Walter Rohrl was timed at 7:59 in a C2S.

And there were some pretty average times recorded by Nissan for the GTR at about the 8:29 mark (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordsch...test_lap_times).

So, lets say probably 5 seconds faster than the C2S over an 8 minute course. That is to say, about 1% faster (5/480).

So, what does "much" mean these days?
Old 03-01-2009, 12:33 AM
lig
Racer

Do you really care or are you the mag racing type?

I have yet to meet a 997 TT cab owner at the track.

The GT-R will leave most every modern 911 for dead on most tracks given average to good drivers.

FYI the launch control has been updated to a non-warranty voiding setup. I still love my 997 but I'm also a realist - it isn't the be all and end all of track beasts.

Let's give credit where credit is due... Nissan has built a supercar for the masses at a loaded Cayman S price.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:10 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI, Motor Trend tested the GTR 0-60 in 3.3! Damn!
Old 03-01-2009, 06:30 AM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

One of my good friends has a silver GTR. I spent 30 minutes behind the wheel. That car is a beast in straightline acceleration, the turbo spools so effortlessly when using the paddleshifter and the exhaust note is so vociferous i can hear him coming a block away. The interior looks like it was designed for playstation, which it was since the developer of the gran turismo videogame was involved in its design. Compared to my c2s, the GTR definitely was a lot bigger in person and i felt the weight doing city driving. IMO, the c2s is more engaging to drive and provides a more visceral experience, whether at 25 mph or 100.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Jlangmd
Racer

Originally Posted by lig
Do you really care or are you the mag racing type?

I have yet to meet a 997 TT cab owner at the track.

The GT-R will leave most every modern 911 for dead on most tracks given average to good drivers.

FYI the launch control has been updated to a non-warranty voiding setup. I still love my 997 but I'm also a realist - it isn't the be all and end all of track beasts.

Let's give credit where credit is due... Nissan has built a supercar for the masses at a loaded Cayman S price.
First, no, I don't care one way or the other. I have no personal interest in the GTR at this time. I just think the hyperbole of "definitely much faster" and "leave for dead" is a bit over the top. What Nissan has done is impressive, almost as impressive as what GM did with the ZR1.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._test/(page)/1

Under comparable conditions in this test, the GTR is not "definitely much faster". In fact the TT was faster in every category except rolling start times. And the only item I have seen comparing the GTR with a 911PDK has shown a C2S "blowing the GTR away"* in a straight line. (linked in this thread 467406-gtr-starting-to-lose-some-of-its-shine.html)

I think a more accurate way of phrasing the above points would be to say "the GTR felt very fast", or "a GTR will be as fast or faster than a 911 for half the price".

Obviously, if one's interests are primarily racing and track, one doesn't buy a TTCab. If track is the primary reason for the car, the GTR makes an awful lot of sense.

*stuck my own bit of hyperbole in there
Old 03-01-2009, 03:22 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jlangmd

Obviously, if one's interests are primarily racing and track, one doesn't buy a TTCab. If track is the primary reason for the car, the GTR makes an awful lot of sense.
With the current issues of reliability in the GTR, I am not so sure this would be a car to track. On the other hand, Porsche's are renown for their reliability factor especially with the mind set that many owners track these vehicles.
Time will tell if the GTR survives.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:21 PM
texas911
Race Car

Love it or hate it, I'm glad Porsche gets more competition, maybe they'll lower their prices or offer more performance for the money. Competition is always good.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:43 PM
9elf S
Instructor

Originally Posted by nicoff
As an owner of a GT-R and a 997, I have to disagree with you. There is not ONE single day that a drive the GT-R that either people stare, slow down purposely while driving next to it, stop and talk to you at stop lights or while filling up, or take pictures/movies with their cell phones while driving on the road. On the first day of driving it I got more positive comments about it than I have ever got in years of driving P-cars. After months of ownership, the comments keep flowing.
Unfortunatelty, the attention happens to be from 18-24 year old males. Not exactly the crowd I would want to attract. I like how 911s attract women looking for a suger daddy...
Old 03-02-2009, 03:48 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hitler's GTR

I'd like it better if they supported the damn launch control.

Check this video, of you haven't seen it already.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOAXJTTc__w
Old 03-02-2009, 03:54 PM
nicoff
Racer

Originally Posted by 9elf S
Unfortunatelty, the attention happens to be from 18-24 year old males. Not exactly the crowd I would want to attract. I like how 911s attract women looking for a suger daddy...
Only partially true. The GT-R does tend to attract a younger crowd with much more intensity than, say, older folks. They are both male and female though. I venture to say that most people buy these cars because they enjoy driving them and not to attract women looking for a sugar daddy. Having said that, if 18-24 females fit your "daddy" demographics, you will do better with the GT-R.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:58 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Nissan GTR = Forza motorsports on the X-BOX 360. (paddle shifters and all)
With all the electronic nannys, what's the difference??? The GTR can put up the numbers, but who is driving it?? Certainly not the guy holding the steering wheel. All the driving is being done by a chip in the dash that interprets where it thinks you want to go and then makes the car do it. Effective, but pointless once you've used the car a few times...IMHO.....
Old 03-02-2009, 05:05 PM
lig
Racer

Originally Posted by medtech
I'd like it better if they supported the damn launch control.

Check this video, of you haven't seen it already.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOAXJTTc__w

They actually do support launch control with new programming. And that Hitler video is a re re re repost.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:08 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

supposedly it is just as fast with the new launch control.....
It also seems that a lot of folks are perturbed at the hitler GTR vid. It was on CNN last week as a commentary piece
Old 03-02-2009, 05:49 PM
lig
Racer

I didn't see the CNN piece. That Hitler video has been redone at least 10 ways that I can think of - from sports teams to cars.

To an earlier point - I wouldn't buy a GT-R for track use. I have my S2000 for that. Even better IMO would be a Lotus - either an Elise or Exige. Fun and cheap to run and very light.

IMO the GT-R is too heavy and while it is ungodly fast I don't have the $$$ to maintain it properly in order to keep the warranty in effect.

Quick Reply: Nissan GT-R