Sponsored by:

Just drove a PDK 997S

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:42 PM
afridi
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
I have to agree. Industry (and racing) have adopted the paddle shift method. Leave it to Porsche to flub it up and make thumb selectors and backwards.

The irony is fitting.

C.

It's almost amazing that they didnt go the paddle route like every one else.

OTOH, the stick shift should be like any other sequential shifter, brake hard, momentum pushes you forward, and it's easier to downshift <i>pushing</i> rather than pulling the lever.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:26 PM
weneversleep
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The trick to the dual-clutch transmissions is the software.

Apparently, Porsche has gotten the software "right" in terms of feel with the PDK. I haven't driven a PDK, though, but I look forward to doing it. Too bad about no paddles, though.

The other manufacturer who has gotten the software "right" is Mitsubishi, in the Evo X MR. I swore I would never buy a "flappy-paddle" transmission until I drove that car. Bought it soon after. (hey, I needed a 4-door car!) Interestingly enough, the software is so good that I don't even drive in the manual mode that often--the automatic mode (especially in "Sport" mode) has you in the right gear in every situation. Blips on downshifts, instantaneous upshifting... it's truly amazing.

The VW/Audi DSG is an example of how the software can screw up what is an otherwise nice transmission. Truly boring to drive. Does the Porsche PDK share any parts with the VW/Audi DSG? If so, it further supports my opinion that it's the software that matters in these new transmissions.

--michael
Old 03-02-2009, 06:35 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

PDK/SST are for drivers - it's a different demographic with DSG. We have DSG (aka S-Tronic) in our A3 and it's great. I put it in manual mode when I drive, my wife leaves it in "D" when she drives. It'll be a real eye-opener for her when she drives my C4S in Sport mode...
Old 03-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by docjohnM
a lot of folks have felt that the newest 997 does not have quite the visceral feel of the 996, like the poster has above. I wonder how they compare in a side by side manner based on driving feel, and not so much on outright speed.... Anyone have some insights????
That has been an argument ever since they changed from the 356 to the 911. It lost it's visceral appeal. The 6 cyl motor was too smooth, the chassis too forgiving, the car was too heavy!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Quick Reply: Just drove a PDK 997S