Sponsored by:

Deposit and fees?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
In today's uncertain economy, large deposits can be a real risk if the dealership closes. Yesterday, I heard that Prestige Porsche in Nyack NY just closed its doors. So what happens to the $3500 deposit someone has with them? Do they become a general creditor?

This thread raises the concept of risk from the dealer being stuck with an unsold car. Just want to make sure that we all appreciate that there is risk for the buyer too. If the deposit was put in an escrow account or you have 1st dibbs on the attractive receptionist () then that might be a mitigating risk strategy. I suspect 20% of the dealers today will not be here within 18 months.
You not only validate what I've been speaking about but bring up strong points.

There is a 'REAL' risk that certain dealers are going to go under. With 11 of the little ****** in Ohio, there's too many of us. It's only a matter of time before they start dropping like dead flys.

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Relationship matters but it helps when both parties have integrity. Customers and dealers alike will abuse the relationship for short term gain. Stupid IMO.
+1

The irony is there are a LOT of resources out there that actually promote dishonesty and disdain towards the dealerships. Sure, there's a lot of bad apples in my business- rightly so; but it' s a two way street. I've seen my fair share of shady acts by clients. Especially with Mercedes Benz Clients.

Have you ever heard this before?

"I have to go talk to my wife."
" I'm going to think about it."
"I need to go pick up my kids up the street at the soccor game" (come on, can you not put your kids in the middle of this crap? lol )
" I need to go pray on it." (I'm serious! lmao)
(via email) "give me your best price and I'll buy it from you right now."
"The BMW is $200/mo less a month" (cough *bull**** cough lol)
"I have to go pick my teeth, wash my hair and bang my wife"- (actual quote_ from a great, and fuggin hilarious client of mine)

"I'm going to shop this **** out of your number b/c I honestly don't know the market and haven't done my research on this car. I might even do business with a dealership that won't be here tomorrow. But I'm nervous I'm making the wrong decision. Can you tell me more about the Mercedes? I'd prefer it over the others"- Fantasy response of real truth LOL

*I've gone off on tangent but it was amusing!

Originally Posted by 9elf S

Cleaveland Auto Association...the fee must be for their pension plan that is run by a guy named Guido.
Oh I'm sure; or some Unionized members bribe..........(I'm not joking!)

Originally Posted by hidalgo
I am really amazed at how little a deposit that most car dealers require, I sell Class 8 trucks and our industry does not get enough deposit either. I think if you are worried about the financial status of your dealer you are at the wrong place. We ordered a new phone system a couple of months ago and it was 25% at order and another 25% in 90 days!
'tis sorta crazy to give a tiny deposit on such an expense.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

ps. I want to add that when I hear any/all the above what YOU are really saying is: "you've not conviced me to do business with you."

It ain't rocket science. LOL
Old 02-21-2009, 01:32 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Business is business, from both ends. I've never put up more than a $1k "deposit" to order any car. Doc fees, I don't pay, at least not right out (maybe in the final agreed price). I live and have lived in states where by law the deposits were refundable.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For Chris:

Old 02-21-2009, 03:42 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I have never met him, but I had pictured Chris (stoppie) as being younger than that ^ !

Old 02-22-2009, 03:16 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob in WA
For Chris:

I love that part!!!!

fuggin riot!!

Originally Posted by gota911
I have never met him, but I had pictured Chris (stoppie) as being younger than that ^ !

HEY!!! (enter Thads avatar with the baby)
Old 02-22-2009, 03:19 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

"you wanna speak to my manag'a? I got your manag'a right here!

....Throw'em out!"

LMAO!!
Old 02-22-2009, 07:38 AM
dD/dt
Racer

So what about using an escrow account for the deposit? It seems that no dealer should balk at escrow vs. deposit -- unless, of course, he needs the operating funds.

Quick Reply: Deposit and fees?!