997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deposit and fees?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009 | 05:54 PM
carreracoupe997
Racer

Porsche NA doesn't get the deposit. Its the dealers because they buy the car from the importer, PCNA.

tkids, now I see what you are after. If you are the least bid concerned that the Porsche dealer will go belly up within the three months it takes for your car to get here I would A) offer them $1000 deposit and tell them why or B) order from a dealer with deep pockets like McKenna in CA. or Champion or Brumos in Florida, Holbert in PA or better yet, Stoddard Imported Cars. Porsche AG actually owns that store. Or did.
Old 02-19-2009 | 10:45 PM
nyca
Drifting

Originally Posted by tkids
I have to say I agree with you, with people just walking away. I ask this question just to get a idea of what different dealerships are currently asking in the current market.

What happens if in this current market one is to put 10k down for a car and that individual dealership declares bankruptcy and closes shop!?!?
That's a good point regarding any car purchase in this environment - but if you leave the deposit on an AMEX card, and the dealership goes under, AMEX will refund it - this happened to a friend of mine ($1000 deposit).
Old 02-19-2009 | 10:47 PM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

I just ordered a very high optioned C4S cab with an msrp of 140k and I gave them zero for a deposit, but I have bought several cars from them. I think the standard deposit is usually $500.
Old 02-19-2009 | 11:15 PM
BradS(IN)
Racer

5% on custom orders at the MB dealership I'm at. Previous customers do get a little lattitude, however. Doc Fee is $150.
Old 02-19-2009 | 11:29 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carreracoupe997
... or better yet, Stoddard Imported Cars. Porsche AG actually owns that store. Or did.
Stoddard was sold back to private hands several years ago; I've met one of the owners. (They are very big in 356 parts and also earlier Porsche parts.)

I think in many states deposits are required by law to be refundable, maybe in some states they try to get around that by calling it a prepayment or something.

I ordered my wife's new 09 Cayenne S with no deposit. They held it for me almost a month after it arrived until I was ready. They delivered it to me with payment by my personal check, which I told them they couldn't cash for a few days. All that because I have a long and very good relationship with my dealer.
Old 02-20-2009 | 12:28 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

This is sort of a funny thread.

This is how I view it. You order a car from me, and it's standard colors/options: Deposit/Partial Payment is $1,500. Once the car goes into production- it then becomes Non Refundable.

Why? Because you've taken an allocation. It's yours. Own it. lol

If however, the car is not in production, I'll gladly refund the partial payment. No harm no foul- but keep in mind- karma will come back to bite you and I'll make sure someone puts extra beans in your Chili.

If it's a "paint to sample" or anything custom- I take $3500 deposits. Only $1500 if refundable if the car isn't in production.

Doing paint to sample can be brain damage when dealing with PCNA/PAG. - the time alone could add up to hours.

Come on people, how rediculous is it to buy an object that cost's almost a 100k, and only put down $250?? That's stupid.

"Oh, I'm sorry Doctor, I only have five bucks, but once you give me the once over and do what you're supposed to do, I'll give you the rest. Fair enough?"

You'd just assume tell me to "F**k off!" - Of course, I'd hope you would! lol

If you respect your time, and respect the person whom you're doing business with; you'll put your skin in the transaction.

And oh by the way- it keeps everyone honest. People, more often then not- tend to stay honest when they have real skin in the game.

I've never had anyone complain with that logic.
Old 02-20-2009 | 01:38 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
This is sort of a funny thread.

This is how I view it. You order a car from me, and it's standard colors/options: Deposit/Partial Payment is $1,500. Once the car goes into production- it then becomes Non Refundable.

Why? Because you've taken an allocation. It's yours. Own it. lol

If however, the car is not in production, I'll gladly refund the partial payment. No harm no foul- but keep in mind- karma will come back to bite you and I'll make sure someone puts extra beans in your Chili.

If it's a "paint to sample" or anything custom- I take $3500 deposits. Only $1500 if refundable if the car isn't in production.

Doing paint to sample can be brain damage when dealing with PCNA/PAG. - the time alone could add up to hours.

Come on people, how rediculous is it to buy an object that cost's almost a 100k, and only put down $250?? That's stupid.

"Oh, I'm sorry Doctor, I only have five bucks, but once you give me the once over and do what you're supposed to do, I'll give you the rest. Fair enough?"

You'd just assume tell me to "F**k off!" - Of course, I'd hope you would! lol

If you respect your time, and respect the person whom you're doing business with; you'll put your skin in the transaction.

And oh by the way- it keeps everyone honest. People, more often then not- tend to stay honest when they have real skin in the game.

I've never had anyone complain with that logic.
Chris - I agree with your comments and think they are fair. Especially if someone orders paint to sample in purple with orange trim, you would be a fool not to cover the risk. In my case, I have long and deep relationships with the dealer management, and they treat me like a king. (And though they give me great deals, I still let them make their living too.)
Old 02-20-2009 | 02:53 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

My dealership asked for $1000 for my Paint To Sample order,--I was hoping to put ALL of it on my AMEX card but they balked! (I needed the miles!)
Old 02-20-2009 | 09:48 AM
9elf S
Instructor

I've purchased three special ordered cars in the past three years - Porsches and MB - and never paid more than a $1k fully, refundable deposit. Of course, I buy the cars I order.
Old 02-20-2009 | 12:53 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

if you guys notice, the trend is that established releationships seem to go a long way. I think in general if a dealership knows you; the question of a deposit, let alone how much - is irrevelant and a non issue.

But aside from deposits, I think the real question is how much does your dealership charge for FEE'S?

We charge:
$250 Doc Fee- which goes directly to Cleveland Auto Association. (No, I have no idea what the hell they do, let alone why all dealerships in N.E Cleveland are required to charge it lol)

$25.50 for State of Ohio Title Fee (this includes a 30 day temp tag, otherwise transfers (in state) are $4.50.

Out of state registrations are $350- and we have all reciepts and any difference is given back to the client.

How them apples?
Old 02-20-2009 | 01:35 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

In today's uncertain economy, large deposits can be a real risk if the dealership closes. Yesterday, I heard that Prestige Porsche in Nyack NY just closed its doors. So what happens to the $3500 deposit someone has with them? Do they become a general creditor?

This thread raises the concept of risk from the dealer being stuck with an unsold car. Just want to make sure that we all appreciate that there is risk for the buyer too. If the deposit was put in an escrow account or you have 1st dibbs on the attractive receptionist () then that might be a mitigating risk strategy. I suspect 20% of the dealers today will not be here within 18 months.
Old 02-20-2009 | 01:55 PM
tkids
Pro

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
In today's uncertain economy, large deposits can be a real risk if the dealership closes. Yesterday, I heard that Prestige Porsche in Nyack NY just closed its doors. So what happens to the $3500 deposit someone has with them? Do they become a general creditor?

This thread raises the concept of risk from the dealer being stuck with an unsold car. Just want to make sure that we all appreciate that there is risk for the buyer too. If the deposit was put in an escrow account or you have 1st dibbs on the attractive receptionist () then that might be a mitigating risk strategy. I suspect 20% of the dealers today will not be here within 18 months.
+1 My thoughts exactly!!
Old 02-20-2009 | 02:42 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

I've ordered trucks and cars with nothing down, only my word but the dealer principal is a friend of mine for several of the orders and on another occasion, with another dealer, the fact that again I knew the principal and had bought a truck there in the past meant that they would bring a truck in for me on my word with no deposit.

When I ordered my 997 I put down $5K but got to order it the way I wanted.

Relationship matters but it helps when both parties have integrity. Customers and dealers alike will abuse the relationship for short term gain. Stupid IMO.
Old 02-20-2009 | 02:49 PM
9elf S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
if you guys notice, the trend is that established releationships seem to go a long way. I think in general if a dealership knows you; the question of a deposit, let alone how much - is irrevelant and a non issue.

But aside from deposits, I think the real question is how much does your dealership charge for FEE'S?

We charge:
$250 Doc Fee- which goes directly to Cleveland Auto Association. (No, I have no idea what the hell they do, let alone why all dealerships in N.E Cleveland are required to charge it lol)

$25.50 for State of Ohio Title Fee (this includes a 30 day temp tag, otherwise transfers (in state) are $4.50.

Out of state registrations are $350- and we have all reciepts and any difference is given back to the client.

How them apples?

I have not paid document preparation fees. They were $150. I asked that they be removed after having negotiated a final price. (I pay cash for my cars and live in a state where dealers do not typically register cars for you. So, I was not willing to pay $150 for someone to fill out a bill of sale.) Technically, I paid the doc prep fee, but the purchase price was reduced a corresponding amount.

Cleaveland Auto Association...the fee must be for their pension plan that is run by a guy named Guido.
Old 02-20-2009 | 08:41 PM
hidalgo
Advanced

I am really amazed at how little a deposit that most car dealers require, I sell Class 8 trucks and our industry does not get enough deposit either. I think if you are worried about the financial status of your dealer you are at the wrong place. We ordered a new phone system a couple of months ago and it was 25% at order and another 25% in 90 days!

Quick Reply: Deposit and fees?!