Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please critique 09 C2 build sheet

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 12:13 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

RonCT, brings up a good point that I forgot all about...DO NOT get 19" wheels with the stock NON-PASM suspension! Stay with 18" or get an S which comes with PASM and if you really want the sporting natural of a Porsche get the Sport version of PASM.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:30 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I found out when I went to buy a CPO Boxster for the family this Christmas. On a wholesale basis (and that also turned into retail), you get nothing for options. A $60k MSRP Boxster S goes for the same money as a $65k MSRP Boxster S (otherwise apples to apples - condition, miles, color, etc.). When you load up a car, you are doing it for your own personal enjoyment, not for any thought of increased resale. I suppose on a private party basis, somebody should be willing to spend a little more if it has all the bells and whistles, but in this economy and in the foreseeable future, there are more cars than buyers.

Let's not turn this into a thread about opinions on resale - we have loads of those threads elsewhere
Old 02-18-2009, 07:40 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 961 Likes on 536 Posts

indeed, the magazine reviews are clear - no 19s without PASM. Either get PASM, or stick with the 18s.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:31 PM
carreracoupe997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do your 19's and put Bilstein PSS Series coilovers on it so you can lower it a little, and you can soften the ride or firm it up to your liking. Sport Chrono is nice because of the different throttle mapping and the factory fire extinguisher for $140 is a steal. Looks cool mounted at the front of the driver's seat.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

My 2005 C2 was built for commuting and relatively basic. I added 19s (without PASM), and the ride was fine...plus the base suspension is improved for 2009, so I wouldn't bother adding PASM. And the Carrera Sport wheels look great. Have you thought about ordering them in black? Would contrast nicely, and hides brake dust.

Be sure you (and your passengers) are happy with the sport seats. They can be confining depending on body type, and the standard seats have great support. The power seat package adds lumbar adjustments, which is very nice for a daily driver, and memory settings if there will be other drivers.

Those are my only suggestions. Keep it basic...it's a slippery slope.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:04 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirtmerchant
...I don't have any track experience nor am I aware of a track within a hundred miles of me so Sport Exhaust, Sport PASM, LSD isn't on my priority list...
Porsche doesn't claim that the Sports Exhaust provides any performance improvement, it just sounds really cool. So not planning to take the car to the track shouldn't influence your decision on whether or not to get the PSE. For me it was one of the "must have" options.

...IMHO, the Audio Interface is obscenely overpriced...
IMHO, most Porsche options are obscenely overpriced. $760 for leather covered seat belt buckles??? $860 for red instrument dials???
Old 02-18-2009, 10:12 PM
holgum
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Yours is not that far off from mine:

2009 C2
Carrara White
Special Leather Cocoa
Pwr Comfort Seats w/Driver Memory
Self Dimming Mirrors
Heated Front Seats
19" Sport Design Wheel
Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
Bluetooth Phone Interface
Floor Mats in Interior Color
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
PASM Sports Suspension Package w/ Ltd Slip
Sport Chrono Package Plus
Storage Cmpt Lid W/Model Logo
Navigation Module for PCM
Universal Audio Interface
Multi-fnctn Strng Whl-Lthr-PDK

I really wanted the 19" Sport Designs, so I just had to order the PASM because of all the posts saying 19" wheels without PASM were a bad idea, so I decided I might as well go all the way to Sports PASM because I like the lowered look and care more about handling than power anyway...it's hard to stop once you get started. If you are going to keep it a long time, get everything you want and can afford.

Good luck - it'll be great no matter what you decide.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:21 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

The base seats are narrow at the shoulder level and can pinch the shoulder where as adaptives open up at the shoulder level and are more comfortable

The seat base on the comfort seats is more comfortable since it has less bolstering for the thighs but I think overall , *** seats are very comfy and what feels confining when you sit becomes very comfortable in a few minutes
Old 02-18-2009, 10:22 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Having driven all sorts of 997 cars fairly extensively (997.1 C2, 997.1 C2S w/ PASM and 18s and 19s, 997 GT3 w/ PASM, 997.1 C2S w/ Damptronics, 997.2 C2, 997.2 C2S w/ PASM, and 997.2 C2S w/ Sport PASM), I'd suggest this.

If this is a street car and you will be spending a lot of time in it, stick with the base suspension (which really is good) and the 18s. Much better ride, but still a sports car feel. The only reason I'd get Sport PASM (other end of the spectrum) is for the track - having driven a 997.2 Sport PASM recently on Northeast roads, I would not buy the option if not for the fact I track a lot. If really stuck on getting 19s for some reason (just don't get that - wheels and tires are just functional things - and who ever looks at their own wheels???), get the Carrera S wheels with basic PASM.

But, totally up to you...
Old 02-18-2009, 11:09 PM
Michael Russell
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a curveball question that is cropping up in my mind with the brake and PASM comments. Would I be better off getting a leftover 08 C2S over the 09 C2 if the prices were close? I can get PASM, a bigger engine, BOSE, Sports Chrono Plus and some interior upgrades for about the same price but I'd obviously miss out on the updates. Speculative question, but do yo think a 997.1 will be significantly less desirable then a 997.2 in 5+/- years if all things were equal?
I went back and forth for a day or so on the 08 S vs. a standard 09 C2 question. In the end, it was a pretty easy decision. The new PCM system is vastly improved. The new motor is more efficient, and is quicker revving, and I prefer the looks of the new front end. I also really wanted the newly available P17 option, which I know does not appeal to you, but even without that option I think the new car is a better car. Enjoy the hunt.

Michael
Old 02-19-2009, 12:12 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I would get the S.

And with the kids and the rain in south Florida, I would get rubber mats, front and rear. I don't know if Porsche has rears, but WeatherTech does I think. I have rubber mats in my BMW and will get them in the Porsche before long. Just too practical to ignore.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:38 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I am assuming that $$$ is a factor in your decisions and there is nothing wrong with that at all. Assuming so, the C2 versus C2S is a FANTASTIC car and you will be thrilled. I would definitely go for an 09 for the updates including HP and DFI.

If it were me I would not spend the extra $$ for the wheels. Others have offered a few suggestions of things you might want and might add more bang for the buck than those wheels.

Finally, if I were you I would try to find a car close to your specs on a dealer's lot versus ordering. I could be wrong, but the market is extraordinarily slow right now and you should be able to work a very, very good deal, especially at month-end. You can go to http://www.porsche.com/usa/ , click on find a dealer at the upper right, then select a search by state, and check out all the FL dealers to see what inventory they have on hand. You could even expand beyond FL. Don't hesitate to work the phones and try to cut a great deal even though its out of the way.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Dirtmerchant
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to thank everyone for their time, I'm reading and considering every suggestion.

I am fairly conservative by nature and training, so yes, in that respect money is an issue when it comes to buying this type of car.

The biggest unknown for me at this point is if I will get into tracking the car. I'm 43, I don't have any past track experience, we live in an area that is flat, straight and crowded and don't have a track close by. I intend to check out the track scene and give it a go but the reality is that with my schedule of family, work, motorcycling (BMW GS) and boating that I doubt that my skill level would ever approach the ability of a basic C2. Please tell me if I'm missing the boat...

Can anyone comment on the basic no charge seats? I had a BMW X5 years ago that had their version of pleather and it was great; looked good, felt good and wore like iron.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:16 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

That all being said, consider this. Get a very basic no-frills C2S with the stock seats. With that you get the bigger engine and brakes, PASM is standard, and you get the 19s. Order up the universal and BT if you want, but you really don't need anything more.

You don't need anything beyond that to have a great driving car for 99% of the time, and it will be very potent if you ever get onto the track.

The stock seats are fantastic and I hear more complaints about the sport seats than any others. For example, my wife hates the sport seats and I put up with them because I track the car.

Understand this, the base C2 with 18s is EXTREMELY quick and when you look at the numbers, it is nearly as potent as the C2S. You cannot go wrong with either. I just sense that a no-frills C2S will treat you well some time down the line for resale...
Old 02-19-2009, 04:22 PM
jasvoboda
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd suggest back up sensors. Visibility is limited and if you are using it as a daily driver around kids....not a bad idea.

Quick Reply: Please critique 09 C2 build sheet