Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Will the 2009 tips fit a 2007 car?
Old 02-16-2009, 09:35 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
GreggT, looked on the suncoast website and did not see an option for the C4S.

Did you have any fit issues?
On 09s it's a direct swap......Ric Knab @ Suncoast....$329 a set.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:31 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by GreggT
On 09s it's a direct swap......Ric Knab @ Suncoast....$329 a set.
A little pricey....any Carrera owners want to swap out tips and get the quad S tips?
Old 02-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Supersprint makes some, anyone have experience with their exhaust system?

I could buy these and have them ceramic coated black.

http://www.supersprintna.com/new_pro...he_997_38i.php
I love Supersprint equipment...it just costs an arm and a leg. Had them on my E46 M3 with SS headers, 100cpi cats and midpipe...

Dave
Old 02-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
A little pricey....any Carrera owners want to swap out tips and get the quad S tips?
Nope.

It was one of the factors that had me not consider an S... I didn't like those dual-round exhaust caps.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:14 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Funny......way back when I offered mine to swap (on the cars arrival) and I offered to throw in, at no cost, the C4 red reflector.....and there were no posers, I mean takers.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:04 PM
SKYKING
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=GreggT, the C4 red reflector.[/QUOTE]

Gregg, did you remove the red reflector? If you did, please explain how and if possible do you have a photo after removal? No intent to hijack.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:29 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SKYKING
Gregg, did you remove the red reflector? If you did, please explain how and if possible do you have a photo after removal? No intent to hijack.
Temporary solution.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:47 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by johnstoy
You are right: the non-S tips will not fir the S exhaust - there is a 5/16" difference in diameter.

Or you could get the PSE so there is an actual reason for the quad tips...
That's correct as far as non-09s go on 997.1s... but the .2s are interchangeable no?
Old 02-25-2009, 02:48 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by GreggT
Temporary solution.

Parden me for saying this but NICE ***!
Old 02-25-2009, 03:51 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't understand why Porsche puts four exhaust outlets on a six cylnder motor
Huh???

Are you mistakenly thinking that each cylinder exhaust port should have its own dedicated plumbing with its own catalytic converter and its own muffler and its own exhaust outlet?

The exhaust gases from each bank of cylinders dumps into one cat which then flows through one fat tube into one muffler and out the exhaust.

The number of cylinders a car has is completely and totally irrelevant to the number of exhaust outlets it should have in today's exhaust systems. I have no idea where you're getting this absurd notion. Unless you're expecting each cylinder to have its own separate exhaust system - or to run straight pipes - in which case there should be six exhaust tips total protruding from the rear.

But you're not alone in this mistaken belief. It's been expressed here before to my bewilderment.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Huh???

Are you mistakenly thinking that each cylinder exhaust port should have its own dedicated plumbing with its own catalytic converter and its own muffler and its own exhaust outlet?

I think the point of the original poster was that, yes there are two banks of headers (one on each side) .. and that would lead to TWO exhaust ports. The plumbing is all there until you get to the tip of the S models, where a single pipe is converted into a dual exhaust tip... that does seem odd. Probably for design asthetic reasons.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:51 PM
johnstoy
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

It is certainly done for looks on the 'S' models - but at least all four tips are "functional" (exhaust can come out of all of them). Be happy that it is not as lame as the muffler tips on the fourth gen Corvettes (the 1984 to ? body type): it had four big steel tips sticking out (two per side - not like the current 4 in the middle) and one tip per side was actually the exhaust exit and the other was just a piece of pipe tack-welded on the back of the muffler can. Completely non-functional.

The two-tips-per-muffler is a classic look, but was not designed just for its looks: back a few decades Ferrari and Jaguar started using two smaller pipes exiting the muffler to give a higher-tone 'snap' to each pulse of the exhaust note, where one larger pipe gives a lower and less-snappy note. Ferrari took it further on some models and had (maybe still do have) each of the twin tips exit from the muffler from a different part of the inner baffles - giving a harmonic at certain RPMs to enhance the quality of the sound.

Never had anything to do with number of cylinders or banks of cylinders. Jag put a 4 tip dual exhaust on some of the inline 6 powered E-types.

Yes, useless trivia. It's snowing out. When is spring?
Old 02-25-2009, 07:40 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by johnstoy
It is certainly done for looks on the 'S' models - but at least all four tips are "functional" (exhaust can come out of all of them). Be happy that it is not as lame as the muffler tips on the fourth gen Corvettes (the 1984 to ? body type): it had four big steel tips sticking out (two per side - not like the current 4 in the middle) and one tip per side was actually the exhaust exit and the other was just a piece of pipe tack-welded on the back of the muffler can. Completely non-functional.

The two-tips-per-muffler is a classic look, but was not designed just for its looks: back a few decades Ferrari and Jaguar started using two smaller pipes exiting the muffler to give a higher-tone 'snap' to each pulse of the exhaust note, where one larger pipe gives a lower and less-snappy note. Ferrari took it further on some models and had (maybe still do have) each of the twin tips exit from the muffler from a different part of the inner baffles - giving a harmonic at certain RPMs to enhance the quality of the sound.

Never had anything to do with number of cylinders or banks of cylinders. Jag put a 4 tip dual exhaust on some of the inline 6 powered E-types.

Yes, useless trivia. It's snowing out. When is spring?
Good post. You're right, at least ours are functional.

Your discussion of the Corvette non-functional fake exhaust tips reminds me of the tips on the Lexus IS-F, seen below:

Peekaboo!

Old 02-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

These are my tubi tips. I believe they further enhanced the sound on the exhaust.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Exhaust Outlets