Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Protection Film Removal anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 05:59 AM
Gary
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Protection Film Removal anyone?

Has anyone successfully removed the film from behind the doors / in front of the rear wheels without peeling paint or damaging anything? If so, how? I've searched and read that use of a hair dryer to heat it up and peel it back slowly should work but this was for other manufacturers with (probably) different types of film.

Mine's yellowed with its 3.5 years of age and it looks terrible. FWIW, I won't be replacing it (but I know there are "polar" opinions on this...).

Regards,

Gary.
'05 997 C2 (silver, dirty yellow in parts )
Old 02-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried to get it replaced under warranty?
Old 02-05-2009, 03:21 PM
FriedEgg
Instructor

A friend of mine took his to a detailer and they were able to get it off without a problem. I don't know exactly what they did, but it looked perfect afterwards...so it can be done.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Gary
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frino
Have you tried to get it replaced under warranty?
I hadn't thought of that - I've just acquired the car (privately) and I guess it's out of warranty at 110K Km's ... however I want to go and get an alignment done so will ask then. To be honest though, I really just want the stuff off rather than replaced....

Gary.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:57 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with FriedEgg. One of our Porsche club members does clear bra installations, and he can remove clear bra, including the clear stone guards on the rear fenders. I believe he works an edge and sprays soapy water on the underside as he pulls back. I also believe he said you don't pull up (90 degrees) from surface, but pull directly back (at 180 degrees).
Old 02-05-2009, 06:45 PM
DAlex
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had it removed on my '09 C2S. The Clear Bra installer took it off and replaced it with the same clear bra material used on the rest of the car. It looks better than what came from the factory, and he was able to expand the size of the material used on the rear fender to provide greater protection. I did not watch him do it so I have not idea how it was done. The car looks perfect.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:56 AM
Gary
Instructor

Originally Posted by keninirvine
I agree with FriedEgg. One of our Porsche club members does clear bra installations, and he can remove clear bra, including the clear stone guards on the rear fenders. I believe he works an edge and sprays soapy water on the underside as he pulls back. I also believe he said you don't pull up (90 degrees) from surface, but pull directly back (at 180 degrees).

Thanks very much for all the feedback guys and thanks for these hints Ken. May well have a crack at this (assuming no warranty in place) just soon as the weather improves. I've also got my Dr. Colo(u)r Chip kit on the way to touch up a couple of areas on the lower front spoiler ...

Gary.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:18 AM
entdoc
Instructor

Have you tried cleaning up the yellowed plastic? I get a lot of stone chips around the area and would hate to remove it altogether. Plexus does a great job of cleaning and polishing. If the plastic is already too yellow or opaque, I know that Sonus makes a couple of products to polish it out but I've never used them myself. Hope that helps.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:11 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Removal takes a heat gun to loosen the adhesive and film. Once the film is off, a wipedown with 3M adhesive remover or IPA will remove residual adhesive on the paint.

Do not polish it right after using a remover, as it can soften the finish a slight bit, wash the area off first, then polish the area with a mild polish first that has no oils or filler clay (glazes have clay), P21 Paint Cleanser is a very good mild polish. Then, once polished, another wipedown with IPA before a new film is installed to remove any remaining oils or dirt etc. Float on the new film with the soap mix they list and ratio of soap/water(distilled) then using a plastic squeege remove any air bubbles and to finish the install. Let it cure before trying to add wax or sealant for a week.

Regards,

Deanski
Old 02-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Gary
Instructor

Originally Posted by Deanski
Removal takes a heat gun to loosen the adhesive and film. Once the film is off, a wipedown with 3M adhesive remover or IPA will remove residual adhesive on the paint.

Do not polish it right after using a remover, as it can soften the finish a slight bit, wash the area off first, then polish the area with a mild polish first that has no oils or filler clay (glazes have clay), P21 Paint Cleanser is a very good mild polish. Then, once polished, another wipedown with IPA before a new film is installed to remove any remaining oils or dirt etc. Float on the new film with the soap mix they list and ratio of soap/water(distilled) then using a plastic squeege remove any air bubbles and to finish the install. Let it cure before trying to add wax or sealant for a week.

Regards,

Deanski
Thanks Deanski - I don't have a heat gun but will try with a blow dryer to see if I can get it hot enough.... If not, I'll be defer to the experts and let them do it.

Current thinking is that the plastic won't be replaced but, just in case, I'll save the rest of your text

Regards,

Gary.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Gary
Instructor

Originally Posted by entdoc
Have you tried cleaning up the yellowed plastic? I get a lot of stone chips around the area and would hate to remove it altogether. Plexus does a great job of cleaning and polishing. If the plastic is already too yellow or opaque, I know that Sonus makes a couple of products to polish it out but I've never used them myself. Hope that helps.
Thanks, tried cleaning it and, coincidentally, noticed that I have a couple of small surface breaks on the film so it'll have to come off anyway.

Regards,

Gary.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:22 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're planning to touch up paint under the old material, be careful applying the new material. If the new material is pulled up to re-position, it could lift the touch-up paint with it.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:30 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had mine replaced under warranty after 3 years and substantial yellowing. Definitely speak to your service rep.....from what I've heard, many will do it under warranty.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:56 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by adfsouth
Had mine replaced under warranty after 3 years and substantial yellowing. Definitely speak to your service rep.....from what I've heard, many will do it under warranty.
He is in Eurpoe and unfortunately for them, they get only 2 years of factory warranty so his '05 is no longer under warranty.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Gary
Instructor

Originally Posted by gota911
He is in Eurpoe and unfortunately for them, they get only 2 years of factory warranty so his '05 is no longer under warranty.
Thanks Gota911, I've not had a chance to confirm this with the dealer yet but what you say would make sense. Customer service / good-will etc. isn't spectacular over here (at least, in Switzerland) - many reasons (which won't be made a subject in this thread) - so I wouldn't expect them to feel the need to help out in any way (unless I was paying) ...

Gary.

Quick Reply: Paint Protection Film Removal anyone?