Advice on key options for a used 997

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:50 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Advice on key options for a used 997

Hi there,

New to this forum. Great posts. I'm researching what are the key options for a 997, focused on years 2006 thru 2007.

I like most of the 997s, whether just a 911, 911S or C4S.

Thus far, I'm guessing a sport 911 is pretty mandatory. For the entry level car, I'm looking at least having the sport option. I assume this has tighter suspension and it has the sport button on the left. These cars seldom have PASM, I look for the shock icon on the console for PASM. I'm guessing the Chrono comes with sport. Chrono doesn't seem to excite me.

Is PASM a must have option? For reference, I've read that Porsche says PASM on the Cayman makes the car 7 seconds quicker on the Ring. Not that I intend to visit the Ring or track the car immediately. However, is a C2 with sport miles behind a C2 with PASM? Does a PASM C2 have the sport feel when driven aggresively, in other words does it have sport capability?

Would I be a wimp or worse for getting tiptronic? The clutch effort seems really high, even on a Cayman I drove. Maybe you get used to this. 2 of 3 of my previsous cars were manuals. I drive a bmw with auto right now and went with it because it tested faster than the manual. Believe that.

C2S is obviously quicker and has both PASM and sport. Would a sport C2 be a big comprise?

I really like the C4S, but these are rare finds used and a bit pricey. Is 2007 the first year with the newer AWD system? I've seen 2006s but have hesitated as I wouldn't want the older system. Any thoughts? The C4 might also be a good starter Porsche for someone getting used to the rear engine weight basis. I spun a C2S on a test drive. Little spin.

There are some great prices now on used 911s. So I'm just trying to firm up what is crucial. I like to drive briskly and like the feeling of exploring the best offerings of the car manufacturer. Not yet ready for the GT3 zone. Nice to think about though.

Lastly, I know this sounds a bit daft, but has anyone retrofited full leather on a 997? Full leather on the 911 is simply divine. I'd pay some change for this.

Sorry for the long post. I've tried putting some of this together reading various posts, but need some help.

CVT Benhogan

Quick Reply: Advice on key options for a used 997