I think I broke my SSK cable

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 03:52 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by madporsche
Do you have a link for installation of factory SSK as well?
It will be the same procedure as the B&M. However, if you bought the Porsche SSK that is already in the shift tower you just bolt the new shift tower into the car. That eliminates about 12 +/- steps.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got a call from the SA and indeed the cable was broken. It is the same situation as Draxa. The car will be ready tomorrow afternoon. Hope everything is good when I pick it up tomorrow. Thank you for all your help. Just wonder whether it is just my car or not, it seems that not a whole lot of people have this issue. Funny.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:07 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stephenkng
.........Just wonder whether it is just my car or not, it seems that not a whole lot of people have this issue. Funny.

I don't believe it is widespread but obviously Porsche do recognise that it happens occasionally - which is why, along with the new cables, you will also get a modified bracket to bolt on to the 'box. And rather than issue an expensive recall, they've decided to treat each incident with compassion!

I'm OK with that, I suppose.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Originally Posted by draxa
I don't believe it is widespread but obviously Porsche do recognise that it happens occasionally - which is why, along with the new cables, you will also get a modified bracket to bolt on to the 'box. And rather than issue an expensive recall, they've decided to treat each incident with compassion!

I'm OK with that, I suppose.

I'm OK with that as well. I am glad that it broke now and is replaced with the modified cable so I know I am relatively good now. It is interesting that it seem that they all broke at/around 24k. Maybe that is the expected service life of the cable.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Another interesting point, I alway leave in first gear when parked. I don't know whether there has anything to do with it?
Old 01-29-2009, 02:30 AM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stephenkng
Another interesting point, I alway leave in first gear when parked. I don't know whether there has anything to do with it?

From what I understood - speaking with the mechanic - it was the selection of reverse which caused the problem.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:12 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by draxa
From what I understood - speaking with the mechanic - it was the selection of reverse which caused the problem.
Interesting!

I think the guy that originally designed the 997 "reverse selection" part of the tranny was hired away from Porsche by Nissan to design the Launch Control and tranny for the GTR.

Last edited by gota911; 01-29-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

I wonder whether the new cable set will completely take care of the problem. I will ask them when I pick up my car later today. Thank you again for all the assistance and information you guys provided.

Quick Reply: I think I broke my SSK cable