Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I broke my SSK cable

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009 | 12:17 AM
Stephenkng
Racer

Default I think I broke my SSK cable

On my way home tonight, I think I broke my SSK cable. Stuck in 1st gear (thank god) and drove all the way home in first for 5 miles. Luck I just got off the freeway when that happen. Otherwise, ......... I think I read something like this perviously here. Is it a "common" problem for the SSK. Mine is a '06 C2 with 24K on the clock. I can't even get into revise so I will have a hard time to get the car out of the garage tomorrow when I call roadside assistance. Is it a quick fix? Comment please.
Old 01-28-2009 | 01:19 AM
Stephenkng
Racer

Anything I should watch out or look for when I take it in tomorrow?? Thanks for your comment.
Old 01-28-2009 | 01:23 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Wondering if you broke just the shift linkage?

The one here...
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=32

It was more common to do that in 996s....

Pull the shifter boot off and see if that's what broke? Either way it's a pretty easy fix. Let us know if we can help.
Old 01-28-2009 | 01:26 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

If you can get into neutral, you should be OK. It could be the cable ends (linkage) or one the the cables. My guess is the linkage.

Let us know what the problem/solution is.
Old 01-28-2009 | 01:29 AM
Stephenkng
Racer

I think it stuck in first and the shifter only can be moved up and down and can not move from left to right. It seems that it does not connect with anything. Can't move to revise as well as into neutral. It sure feel like the cable is broken. What do you think?

Last edited by Stephenkng; 01-28-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 01-28-2009 | 01:49 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Did the car come with the SSK in it or did you add it after you got the car? That doesn't matter about the problem, but if you personally installed the SSK then you can remove the center console to see if the linkage is the problem.

If you did not personally install the SSK, here is a link to the B&M installation instructions. You might be able to see the problem is you lift the shifter boot up. If not, you could remove the center console to see if the linkage is the problem and reconnect it.

SSK installation instruction
Old 01-28-2009 | 01:56 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yup Tim is right, remove the shifter boot and the center console and go from there. That way you'll know what's wrong rather than guessing
Old 01-28-2009 | 01:56 AM
Stephenkng
Racer

SSK was installed at the factory. Thanks for the link. However, I can't unclip the leather boot. Any hint??
Old 01-28-2009 | 02:11 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

You should be able to slide a plastic spatula under the boot collar and it will snap out. IIRC, my 996 boot had about 4 places where it snapped in place. You should start at the back of the collar.
Old 01-28-2009 | 02:32 AM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Sounds like my car's problem; I broke one of the (two) gear-shift cables. Search the forum - I started a thread. I think it was called "Aaaargh...... my car broke" or something. There are photos and an explanation. Quick fix and cost very little.
Old 01-28-2009 | 03:14 AM
Stephenkng
Racer

Originally Posted by draxa
Sounds like my car's problem; I broke one of the (two) gear-shift cables. Search the forum - I started a thread. I think it was called "Aaaargh...... my car broke" or something. There are photos and an explanation. Quick fix and cost very little.
Draxa, that was what happen to me after work today. However, I was strucked in first and was driving in first for 5 miles. How was the cable works after it being replaced. Do you have the SSK on yours? I guess to have mine tow in the dealer tomorrow morring.
Old 01-28-2009 | 12:36 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stephenkng
Draxa, that was what happen to me after work today. However, I was strucked in first and was driving in first for 5 miles. How was the cable works after it being replaced. Do you have the SSK on yours? I guess to have mine tow in the dealer tomorrow morring.
Did you find my thread along with the outcome?

The replacement works fine. Just a small issue on collection; the stick at rest (in neutral) was slightly canted over towards the driver, I'd say 5 degrees. It was s small adjustment the mechanic made to make it upright. Other than that, perfect.
Old 01-28-2009 | 12:39 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

The replacement works fine. Just a small issue on collection; the stick at rest (in neutral) was slightly canted over towards the driver, I'd say 5 degrees. It was s small adjustment the mechanic made to make it upright. Other than that, perfect.
Old 01-28-2009 | 01:58 PM
madporsche
Racer

Do you have a link for installation of factory SSK as well?
Old 01-28-2009 | 02:51 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Originally Posted by draxa

Yes I did and thank you so much. Just have mine flat baded to the dealer this morning and will have a detail later on today. Spoke to the SA, he said it does not happen a lot on broken cable. Will see what actually happen once they put the car on the lift. Will keep you guys updated.

Quick Reply: I think I broke my SSK cable