Sponsored by:

05 997s Engine Failure x 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 02:19 PM
davearm
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 05 997s Engine Failure x 2

I needed to have my engine replaced @ 17,000 miles because of a chronic engine misfire, that upon inspection, was noted have have water in 2 cylinders. Now, 14,000 miles later, basicly the same situation. After sitting for a few weeks (in a garage), the car was very difficult to start, when it finally did, a large cloud of smoke, that went away after warm up, no check engine light. Drove fine to work. When I restarted the car after work, very rough idle, an obvious misfire, and an immediate check engine light. Trailered it to the dealer, and they were initially confused as the compression and leakdown numbers were all fine. But when they pulled the exhaust manifold on the suspect side, again water in the #6 cylinder. The good news is that PNA quickly approved another replacement motor (the car is a CPO).
Hate to think about getting rid of it, but if this happens again in 12-14,000 miles, I will be out or warranty, and stuck for the repair.

Dave
Old 01-21-2009, 03:35 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I would ask if the new new engine (2nd one you are about to get) is covered for 2 years or xx,xxx miles. Ususally, Porsche replacement parts have a 2 year warranty, but in instances of a car under CPO, the warranty on the replacement part will end when the general CPO ends.

I could be wrong on this, but I would ask to have that clarified.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me understand this, you bought a CPO car, engine failed. Replaced with a Brand NEW Engine, and the NEW engine failed.

Is this correct?
Old 01-21-2009, 05:31 PM
davearm
Instructor

Yes, the replacement motor with 14,000 miles (2yrs) has failed. The dealer has been great in handling the issue both times. They did tell me, and I had checked this the 1st time that the replacement is subject to the vehicle warranty, not a seperate warranty for the part.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:58 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Let me understand this, you bought a CPO car, engine failed. Replaced with a Brand NEW Engine, and the NEW engine failed.

Is this correct?
Probably not a Brand NEW Engine. Most likely a remanufactured engine, but regardless, very unusual for two identical failures in two separate engines.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Probably not a Brand NEW Engine. Most likely a remanufactured engine, but regardless, very unusual for two identical failures in two separate engines.
+1 I agree.

I told my master tech about it. He scratched his head on that one.. and he's been with Porsche for 19+ years......

I sense there's more to this story.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:24 PM
davearm
Instructor

The service manager also said that this is a first for him as well. The motors that are used to replace a bad motor, to my understanding, are motors that were scheduled to go into production vehicles, that for some reason failed to meet standards, were then torn down and rebuilt, re-tested, and then used for replacement purposes. If these failures are due to casting, or other structural failures, it might be impossible to pick it up on a dyno test, but probably occur as a result of time and stress.
In my case, I probably drive the car way easier than most (I have a spec Miata that I race/track), so I haven't taken the 997 to the track yet, partly because I was still a little hesitant based on the 1st engine failure. But this motor was babied by most standards, with no over rev's, oil changed well before the suggested intervals, etc.

Dave
Old 01-22-2009, 01:28 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Please tell us the minimum about your 997,--is it an S or a 3.6?
Old 01-22-2009, 01:35 AM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All replaced motors come with a two year warranty. Once you get the new motor broken in get the car to the track on a regular basis.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:15 AM
davearm
Instructor

The car is an 05 997s. My service advisor stated that the replacement motor is warrantied only as long as the remaining warranty on the vehicle (either original or CPO). With the motors lasting 2yrs or slightly less, and 2yrs left on my CPO, even if it comes with a 2yr. warranty, it doesn't really help my dilemma.
Will have to think it over, but I hate the thought of letting it go, but the thought of having to pay for a replacement motor, as unlikely as that may be, scares me.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:00 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

First, I feel for you. That experience must really suck.

If I were you, from this point forward no more babying the engine - run it hard, correctly. Track it, use all revs, etc. I would want it to see if it is going to hand grenade, or be trouble, sooner than later.

Hopefully this one is the right one!
Old 01-22-2009, 02:20 PM
rvklein
Racer

Maybe get an X51 just to be safe
Old 01-22-2009, 06:43 PM
kevjandon
Racer

I would request that this time they give you a "new" motor, not a re-conditioned motor. Additionally, I would request that the motor be a complete unit (just like the ones they put in the cars on the line and not just a core) that is dyno'd at the factory and comes with all the tags indicating such upon delivery.

Lastly, you have a strong arguement against Porsche for diminished value to your car. Even with a 3rd motor now being put in the car, how the hell do you explain this to the next buyer? You'll have to disclose it if you trade it in. Who would want to pay retail for car that is on motor #3?

I would recommend that you quit talking to the dealer rep and move up to the regional rep or higher. Your car has 31K miles and will be on its 3rd motor. My god, Porsche owes you big. You said you're debating just getting rid of it. Who would want to buy it?
Old 01-22-2009, 07:02 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you could request a DFI engine retrofit Obviously after 10 years, the M96 motor is still capable of catastrophic failure at any moment.

"Wait, you want to base that on just one post on rennlist? That's not statistically significant!" Sorry, you're right... I keep forgetting that every time a case like this is documented here on rennlist, it automatically becomes statistically insignificant

My advice to the OP, if you don't intend to keep the car for many years to come, SELL IT NOW. Not just because of the possibility of being caught out of warranty with yet another grenading engine, but also because, to use a famous quote, "I have not yet BEGUN to depreciate!"
Old 01-22-2009, 07:11 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kevjandon
I would request that this time they give you a "new" motor, not a re-conditioned motor. Additionally, I would request that the motor be a complete unit (just like the ones they put in the cars on the line and not just a core) that is dyno'd at the factory and comes with all the tags indicating such upon delivery.

Lastly, you have a strong arguement against Porsche for diminished value to your car. Even with a 3rd motor now being put in the car, how the hell do you explain this to the next buyer? You'll have to disclose it if you trade it in. Who would want to pay retail for car that is on motor #3?

I would recommend that you quit talking to the dealer rep and move up to the regional rep or higher. Your car has 31K miles and will be on its 3rd motor. My god, Porsche owes you big. You said you're debating just getting rid of it. Who would want to buy it?
A "new" motor is not going to happen. Prosches policy (written or not) is to replace engines under warranty with reconditioned engines. IIRC, those reconditioned engines are not "just the core" but include almost everything that is bolted to the engine, water pump, fuel pump, etc.

Last edited by gota911; 01-22-2009 at 09:15 PM.

Quick Reply: 05 997s Engine Failure x 2