Sunroof rubber liner came off

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:52 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof rubber liner came off

Just noticed about half of the rubber lining came off plastic frame at the rear of the sunroof. It looks to have grooves inside to keep it attached to the plastic frame. It re-attached fairly easy, guess it happens with age or with frequent/infrequent use of the sun roof?

Anyone else ever have this happen?
Old 01-20-2009, 10:09 PM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default happened to me too

similar happened to me too-

large edge trim piece came off - I did not realize what happened until it jammed up the mechanism.

dealer put it right
Old 01-20-2009, 10:39 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Yah it didn't tear or anything just came off about halfway, I just re-attached it myself.

If it happens again I'll probably bring to dealer, maybe there is a glue or adhesive they can apply to it.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:17 PM
niner niner seven
Racer

this happened to me about a year ago and the dealer glued the rubber lining back in place. while i was washing the 997 this weekend, i noticed the rubber was coming back off again, no water was leaking through.

i am going to reapply the rubber to the sunroof on the car myself this time around. so my question is which brand of adhesive or glue should i use? any recommendations? thank you.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:51 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Wurth Rubber Glue

http://classicandspeedparts.com/inde...mart&Itemid=53
Old 05-23-2011, 02:56 AM
niner niner seven
Racer

Originally Posted by jcnesq
great thank you!
Old 05-30-2011, 04:52 PM
niner niner seven
Racer

Today, I fixed the rubber liner that was coming off which joins the sunroof (when closed) to the car. I used wurth glue as recommended. However, from the photos you can see the excess glue on the rubber strip - any ideas how to scrape that off?

It looks terrible but the strip is flush with the car, I will monitor and see if holds up, else I will just redo it.... but in the intermediate, I suppose I will use a toothpick to scrap that glue off the rubber. Obviously, I will wait a week to ensure it is dry. Kind thanks.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:27 AM
lexart
Racer

Ugh

I would've recommended using 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive. This is the stuff recommended and is the most commonly used product for this application. It dries black and is not as noticeable when there's a bit of squeeze out.

Obviously, its too late now. The dried glue is very close to the paint line so you'd need to try paint safe products first. I'd start with Goo-Off (unlikely to work but worth a try since its widely available). I would also try Xenit Citrus Cleaner, if you can find it locally.

If all fails, before replacing the seal, try black Sharpie pen - worked for me numerous times
Old 05-31-2011, 01:44 AM
niner niner seven
Racer

Originally Posted by amp-993C2
Ugh

I would've recommended using 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive. This is the stuff recommended and is the most commonly used product for this application. It dries black and is not as noticeable when there's a bit of squeeze out.

Obviously, its too late now. The dried glue is very close to the paint line so you'd need to try paint safe products first. I'd start with Goo-Off (unlikely to work but worth a try since its widely available). I would also try Xenit Citrus Cleaner, if you can find it locally.

If all fails, before replacing the seal, try black Sharpie pen - worked for me numerous times
Thanks for response, ok... I will live with it for now, but it has separated before so I think this is a temp fix. When it does separate again, I will detach the portion and clean it up then use the 3M product. Thanks again.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:13 AM
GulleyGulley
Advanced

Mine came off last week too. Unfortunately, I didn't notice it until I took it to a car wash (first & last time). I not only washed the exterior, but a good bit of the interior too. Dealer fixed the trim piece no problem. A complete replacement was about $250 installed.

Quick Reply: Sunroof rubber liner came off