Sponsored by:

How to Remove an Oil Over Fill?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 11:08 AM
9elf S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Remove an Oil Over Fill?

Had the oil changed on the Cayenne and 997 yesterday by the dealer. I know, I know... next time it will be a DIY job.

That evening, I checked the oil on both vehicles per the manual. For the Cayenne, I brought it up to operating temperature, let it sit for 5 minutes and then checked the dipstick. I also checked the dipstick three hours later when presumably the engine was cold. Both times, oil was over the maximum mark.

On the 997, I measured the oil twice. First, three hours after it was driven. Then, I measured it this morning after the car had been sitting all night. Both times, all of the bars on the electronic gauge lit up.

The dealer has offered to drain some oil from both vehicles, but the less someone else works on my cars the better. So, here's my question.

Is there an easy way to drain a relatively small amount (probably less than a quart) of oil? I've read the threads on oil over fill, and understand that you can either slowly loosen the drain plug, which seems like that could turn into a mess, or stick a plastic tube down the fill hole (for the 997) or the dipstick tube (for the Cayenne) and siphon the oil.

Has anyone tried the second method or have any better ideas?

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:40 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Depends how over the max mark it is. If it is just slightly over by a 1/8 " I would just leave it and I wouldn't worry about it. If the vehicles are driven on a lot of short trips then it will build up condensation in the oil and a long drive will take care of it when the condensation burns it off.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:56 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Remove the oil filter cover, dump the oil in it and put it back on.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:21 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would be tempted to leave it be and just drive the car.

The electronic oil measurement system is much less precise than the dipsticks of old.
A little bit extra kicked the system to reflect the extra bar
As the dealer did the service, the refill most likely came from a central distribution system, not via jugs of oil.
My 2¢
Old 01-14-2009, 02:45 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Remove the oil filter cover, dump the oil in it and put it back on.
+1 but only if the level is way over.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

If you need to remove oil, there is a much easier way than removing the filter. Go to any store selling marine equipment (West Marine for example - or visit them on line). You can buy a device designed to drain oil from boat engines. It is usually a container which can hold about 6 quarts and a small diameter tube. You stick the tube down the dipstick hole. You pump the container to create a vacuum and suck out as much or as little oil as you need. Mine is called an "oil boy" but there are differnt names for the same device. The contaiiner is clear plastic with calibrated markings so you know how much you have sucked out.

best,
Old 01-14-2009, 03:17 PM
9elf S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
If you need to remove oil, there is a much easier way than removing the filter. Go to any store selling marine equipment (West Marine for example - or visit them on line). You can buy a device designed to drain oil from boat engines. It is usually a container which can hold about 6 quarts and a small diameter tube. You stick the tube down the dipstick hole. You pump the container to create a vacuum and suck out as much or as little oil as you need. Mine is called an "oil boy" but there are differnt names for the same device. The contaiiner is clear plastic with calibrated markings so you know how much you have sucked out.

best,
Appreciate the response. I've heard Mercedes technicians change oil this way, and this would work for the Cayenne, which has a dipstick, but not on the 997, unless I could stick the tube down through the oil fill hole. I'm wondering if any one has tried that on a 997.

I don't like the idea of removing the oil filter housing. I think that actually might cause a mess in the engine compartment, which would be worse than a mess on my garage floor.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Tinluver
Instructor

Dont really understand how seeing all bars on the 997 tells you there is an over fill.Arent the bars all suppose to be there when oil is full?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by Tinluver
Dont really understand how seeing all bars on the 997 tells you there is an over fill.Arent the bars all suppose to be there when oil is full?
wondering the same.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:23 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The oil level display can display one thin segment above the maximum recommended fill level, indicating that the oil level is too high. Each full segment on the display represents 0.4 liters. So if the top segment is filled in you have at least a little too much oil, but there is no way to tell how much.
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2009, 09:46 AM
9elf S
Instructor

Originally Posted by _Nathan
The oil level display can display one thin segment above the maximum recommended fill level, indicating that the oil level is too high. Each full segment on the display represents 0.4 liters. So if the top segment is filled in you have at least a little too much oil, but there is no way to tell how much.
Exactly. The thin bar above the maximum mark is darkened. To some extent, the same problem exists with a dip stick. I can tell the oil on the Cayenne is above the maximum mark on the dipstick, but can't tell by how much. The advantage of a dipstick, though, is that it's a more accurate indicator of the oil level.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:49 AM
9elf S
Instructor

As a follow-up, I tried to snake a tube down the oil fill hole to siphon some oil. It doesn't work. I just can't get to the oil in the pan. Looks like I'll have to remove the filter, which I originally thought was in the engine compartment. I confused it with my 83' SC.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
I would be tempted to leave it be and just drive the car.

The electronic oil measurement system is much less precise than the dipsticks of old.
A little bit extra kicked the system to reflect the extra bar
As the dealer did the service, the refill most likely came from a central distribution system, not via jugs of oil.
My 2¢
+1.
I once over filled my oil just enough to light up al the bars (maybe 2 years ago). Within 400 miles or so the level was back down. Never saw any smoke or any signs of badness. Car runs like a top.
I used to check the oil every time I started the car,....now I check it about once a week. That's all you need to be doing.....kill the obsession early!
Old 01-20-2009, 01:32 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9elf S
Appreciate the response. I've heard Mercedes technicians change oil this way, and this would work for the Cayenne, which has a dipstick, but not on the 997, unless I could stick the tube down through the oil fill hole. I'm wondering if any one has tried that on a 997.

I don't like the idea of removing the oil filter housing. I think that actually might cause a mess in the engine compartment, which would be worse than a mess on my garage floor.
Removng the oil filter housing will not cause a mess in the engine at all. Just use a drain pan. The oil in the housing will stay in it untill you dump it into the pan. It's not a big deal if you are planning to do it.
I also had the same issue but just left it alone. The dealer didnt feel it was an issue. Hey it's free oil from the dealer.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

If you have have an 09 you could take the oil filter out but it won't take much oil with it. It's located on top of the engine and won't hold any oil, per se. If you have a 997.1 then it's a very easy job to remove the oil filter housing as 1999Porsche911 recommends and all you will need is a cookie sheet and the tool for the oil filter housing. If that doesn't take enough out. Crank the engine (with the filter back on securely of course) and do it again. You will be removing a few oz. at a time that way. If you have to take more out simply cut down a 5-gallon plastic paint containers and dump the majority of oil from the crankcase and measure it carefully BACK into the engine.

Quick Reply: How to Remove an Oil Over Fill?