Sponsored by:

Jack point on 09 997

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:08 AM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts

If you have 2 floor jacks:

1. left 1 side of car with jack at rear jack point - slide stand under front jack point

2. Lift other rear with 2nd floor jack (1st jack still in place) - slide jack stand under front jack point on opposite side.

3. Lower 1st jack and place 3rd jack stand.

4. Leave 2nd jack in place, or remove and slide in last jack stand
Old 01-19-2010, 09:16 AM
JackQ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fin Fever, I have thought of the similar solution as you have described but did not have the capability to make it. I have a four post lift with a central "bridge jack" with telescoping arms; however the arms do not come out far enough to reach the 997 jacking points. If I had the bar you described I would put the jack under it and life would be easy. Would you be willing to make two and sell one to cover your costs?
Old 01-19-2010, 10:04 AM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fin Fever
I am working on an alternate solution to the problem of jacking the car up by the jack-points and then putting it on jackstands.

1) 5 foot long of 2" by 2" (1/4" wall thickness) aluminum stock which is built up an additional half inch at its ends.

2) this aluminum "lifting bar" then has 3/4" holes drilled across each end of it at the exact distance as the front and rear lifting points on the 997.

3) a 3/4" piece of solid aluminum stock measuring 4 inches long is placed through each of the holes and welded in place, so that about 1 inch of it protrudes above the lifting bar, and another 1 inch section protrudes below.

4) I build a pair of custom aluminum fixed height jackstands (probably 1 foot tall) they will be on 1 foot square 3/8 thick aluminum plate bases. the top of the jackstands will have a flat aluminum pad with a 3/4 inch hole drilled through

OK, so here is the lifting procedure. Put the lifting bar under one side of the car with the 3/4" aluminum studs placed in the holes of the cars lifting points. Then put the floorjack under the middle of the lifting bar, closer to the rear, and lift the car up to 15 inches. Then place the jackstands under the 3/4" studs which point downwards, and lower the car onto the stands. (the stands should fit really nicely, because they would be flat on top to fit the flat undersurface of the lifting bar, and the stud from the lifting bar would engage the hole in the center-top of the jackstand, preventing slippage.

I have already purchased the materials and am ready to get started. One potential area of concern is if the lifting bar flexes enough to touch the rocker panel on the car, but I plan to just add on a truss to stiffen it)

I have posted all of this to see if anyone has done a similar project before, and also to see if I am missing something. any concerns? any comments?

once I have it done, I plan on making a more extensive post with some pictures to explain it better.
IMHO you're making this into a bigger deal than it needs to be. Edgy's method will work just fine with no damage being done to the vehicle.

Apply the KISS principle with due diligence and move on.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:21 PM
Simbob
2nd Gear

I am a newbie to Porsche cars - bought my 2007 C4S about 6 months ago, and it's time to do the 4 year service and track prep for an upcoming DE. I've always done my own maintenance, but it will be more difficult with the Porsche given only 4 lift points and no available service manual. But, apart from that, I love the car.

I've been reading this thread to prepare for putting the car on 4 jack stands and I am nervous about jacking from the rear suspension members, although thankfully it has been well-documented and is easy to follow.

My question is: Has anyone ever heard of anyone ever breaking the aluminum suspension mount members just by lifting from the rear suspension points as discussed here? I have no idea how much weight these members can support, and I'd really hate to do any damage, as replacing these parts looks really difficult and expensive.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:30 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Another option: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...e-use-4-a.html . If you do this often enough, these are worth it (having done it both ways).
Old 03-23-2011, 08:56 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
Another option: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...e-use-4-a.html . If you do this often enough, these are worth it (having done it both ways).
Very clever. Tx
Old 03-23-2011, 10:26 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw a solution posted the other day that uses a floor jack and a slotted stanchion (sp)that slides around the jack after the car is lifted - the jack is relaxed and the car sits on the stanchion and the jack rolls free.
I'll try to locate the brand and costs....
Old 03-23-2011, 10:35 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jakes dad
Saw a solution posted the other day that uses a floor jack and a slotted stanchion (sp)that slides around the jack after the car is lifted - the jack is relaxed and the car sits on the stanchion and the jack rolls free.
I'll try to locate the brand and costs....
Uhmmm..... look in the post immediately above your post and click on the link.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:11 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

i've seen a bar that straddles 2 jack sockets on each side of the car before. I believe it was designed for the 993s, 928s, and 964s.

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...tand-bars.html

I have the jackpoints mentioned in the thread above, It's a great quick way to get the car up on 4 stands quickly and securely.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:57 PM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Simbob
I am a newbie to Porsche cars - bought my 2007 C4S about 6 months ago, and it's time to do the 4 year service and track prep for an upcoming DE. I've always done my own maintenance, but it will be more difficult with the Porsche given only 4 lift points and no available service manual. But, apart from that, I love the car.

I've been reading this thread to prepare for putting the car on 4 jack stands and I am nervous about jacking from the rear suspension members, although thankfully it has been well-documented and is easy to follow.

My question is: Has anyone ever heard of anyone ever breaking the aluminum suspension mount members just by lifting from the rear suspension points as discussed here? I have no idea how much weight these members can support, and I'd really hate to do any damage, as replacing these parts looks really difficult and expensive.
Simbob: without repeating too much that has been posted by gota911 and 997_rich, you should definitely take a look at the Jackpoint Jackstands. Without coming off as a "salesman just selling stuff" you should ask around to the customers we have sold this to and how happy and impressed their are by the stands.

There is a huge thread as mentioned in the 7/GT2/GT3 section about the stands as well.

From a guy that has spent countless hours under a car in a garage with the vehicle being held up by unstable and questionable means of support, these stand are really a lifesaver to me.

http://www.imgt3performance.com/jackpoint-jackstands/

Feel free to PM me if you would like more details.

Chuck
Old 03-25-2011, 01:19 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Without coming off as preachy- whatever you do to get the car off the ground, I'd throw a spare wheel under the car if you get under the car. If the car comes off the stands, it could save your live when the car lands on the wheel instead of your chest or head. A family friend was crushed by a Charger falling off the stands when I was a kid... it happens even to the most conscientious of us. This guy wasn't a hack, he was a safe and technical guy. It's hard to remember the danger when you've jacked a car 1000+ times but please do.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:27 PM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

Rich:

Agree 100% with you statement. My son lost a fraternity brother two years ago to the exact same thing. Was working on his F-Body Mustang and the car fell off the jack (was not properly using the stands) and killed him.

Chuck
Old 03-25-2011, 02:44 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_rich
Without coming off as preachy- whatever you do to get the car off the ground, I'd throw a spare wheel under the car if you get under the car. If the car comes off the stands, it could save your live when the car lands on the wheel instead of your chest or head. A family friend was crushed by a Charger falling off the stands when I was a kid... it happens even to the most conscientious of us. This guy wasn't a hack, he was a safe and technical guy. It's hard to remember the danger when you've jacked a car 1000+ times but please do.
it is a must. in my life I had 2 jacks to brake with my car on them, last incident I was saved exactly by a wheel I placed under an upright. everything that has load on it may brake, it is a rule of thumb.

only good solution is a proper 4 point platform lift. it is not even that expensive to get one installed in an average garage.

other viable solution is this:
http://www.amazon.com/RhinoRamp-1200...1075142&sr=8-1
ramps should be at lest foot wide and able to support a tank.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:41 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
it is a must. in my life I had 2 jacks to brake with my car on them, last incident I was saved exactly by a wheel I placed under an upright. everything that has load on it may brake, it is a rule of thumb.

only good solution is a proper 4 point platform lift. it is not even that expensive to get one installed in an average garage.

other viable solution is this:
http://www.amazon.com/RhinoRamp-1200...1075142&sr=8-1
ramps should be at lest foot wide and able to support a tank.
I can't find it now - but there's a picture of a 4 post lift where one corner came off the post with a car in the air. Talk about a bad situation. The result of using a poorly maintained 4 post lift. A calculated risk.

I've read many threads where folks talk about using hockey pucks they have cut and modified to fit on top of a conventional jackstand to protect their cars. Here again is a calculated risk. Hockey pucks - especially if cut - can rip. They also distort when warm (like when left on hot pavement before use). I know because I used pucks the same way. Spend $1000 on mods for my car and risk my life to install them using a $20 jack stand and a puck.

In fairness there are many folks who can use that method and not risk their lives. There are many situations where a standard jack stand will get the job done. We're all living proof AND until recently, we didn't really have many alternatives.

However, with 2500 - 4000 lbs. in the air caution is the order of the day. Even when using my own jack stands I check and recheck. Many cars already have damaged jacking locations. Under those circumstances you have to be certain the contact point between the car and the jackstand is a secure fit.

Finally, the attorney for one of the largest manufacturers of jacks and jack stands in the country told me that over 95% of the jack stand "failures" are the result of the car slipping off the stand. The stand actually gets damaged by the falling car. I don't want to criticize any method someone chooses to support their car - from milk crates to Rotary lifts. I simply thought of another option to consider. Which ever method you choose - be safe.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Simbob
2nd Gear

Thanks to all for the recommendations! I like those Jackpoint Jackstands and will probably order a set. This definitely seems less risky than jacking the rear from the suspension points and taking the chance of breaking something.

Quick Reply: Jack point on 09 997