Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened here?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ps i'm typing off my itouch - I can't stop.....this thing is addictive!! Muhahahahah!
Old 01-12-2009, 12:18 AM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in my 13th Porsche car - and none of them have ever had this stuff appiled. When I bought my '08 they told me I was the first person to refuse it. I've never liked the way it looks, and I've never had a problem with paint chips on the front of my cars.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:21 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree that the clear bra is supposed to stop abrasions and could get damaged - but the pics show a poor installation. that should not be peeling back like that. it should adhere to the body better. it actually looks like it was stretched too much when it was applied and thinned in those spots, weakening it.

i have a clear bra and track the car getting a lot of crap thrown up on it - and i just have little marks, not blistering like yours shows.

Who installed it?

I'm eager to hear from the guys at Premier on this - they have strong opinions and sell clear bras hard on this forum.

brendan.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:05 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by brendorenn
i agree that the clear bra is supposed to stop abrasions and could get damaged - but the pics show a poor installation. that should not be peeling back like that. it should adhere to the body better. it actually looks like it was stretched too much when it was applied and thinned in those spots, weakening it.

i have a clear bra and track the car getting a lot of crap thrown up on it - and i just have little marks, not blistering like yours shows.

Who installed it?

I'm eager to hear from the guys at Premier on this
- they have strong opinions and sell clear bras hard on this forum.

brendan.
There is another thread on the 997 GT2/GT3 Forum which includes the other side of the story about this car. That thread started out about a GT3 RS clear bra install, but quickly shifted to this car. Premier did the clear bra install on this car over 2 years ago. Here is a link to that other thread: Another version
Old 01-12-2009, 03:19 AM
kcl
Instructor

thanks for the link. I didn't even know what this was all about. I mentioned it somewhere before. My factory 3m stone guards had very similar abrasion tears when a piece of tire was thrown from a car ahead. Definitely protected the rear quarter, but the guard took the damage and was safe from having to find myself a good paint shop. Costed me $90 from Porsche to get it replaced with the same material. It's the expectation here. It did its job and I believe the factory guards are purposely made thicker for that rear hip. Either way, I wouldn't expect the guards (factory or aftermarket) to be bullet proof. Put on 9000 miles onto the car now and no chips. Would do it again with Premier.

off topic, planning on selling the car. Anyone looking for a '07 with under 10k miles, pm me. Please no low ball offers.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:57 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Done the Clear Bra thing 3 times now and will do it again. Very nice to have on the track.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:49 PM
cag64
Instructor

Not a re-spray guy. Clear bra works for me
Old 01-13-2009, 04:50 PM
cag64
Instructor

Not a re-spray guy. Clear bra works for me
Old 01-13-2009, 08:30 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry but to me clear bras on cars are like having plastic covers on furniture or leaving the protective plastic tape on the screen of electronic equipment.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:39 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I SWEAR by Clear Bras - for both my car and female swim suits...

Seriously - I have many "hits" that I can see the clear bra absorbed and saved the paint underneath!!! One that tore the clear bra (like a BB or Pellet sized) but the paint below is fine!
Old 01-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Sad to see such a bad install, yes, some is road debris/hits, but part of the pics does show they over worked this film.

I've always had film on my cars and will continue to do so as they do protect very well and never films are hard to see unless close up.

My advise, have a known good vendor remove the film, have the finish fully polished and wiped down with an IPA wipe to remove any oils/fillers so you see the finish as it should be. Then, once fully polished, have the newer film installed by a qualified installer.

It's best to change film in a two year period just to refreshen the look as older films do start to show age and since most have stone hits, it's time to change to new film. Just have it polished correctly and re-film it.

Sure, some of us cannot stand the way they look and that's fine. However, a really good installer and film can be very hard to detect. They just seem to get better in quality level of the film mfg companies.

I've seen some hoods reshot and some think they look fine, but to my eye, it's easy to see the way it was done and if not preped well, even easier. There are some very highly skilled painters who can re-shoot a panel and you'll never tell unless you take a paint meter to it and even then, the really knowledable ones can get it to just about the same levels since they too know the correct thickness, cure level, etc.

As I tell other owners, it's your car, do with it whatever makes you happy. Film it or have it touched-up or re-shot, it's a personal choice. Same thing when it comes to wax or a sealant.

Good luck.

Deanski
Old 01-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
sorry but to me clear bras on cars are like having plastic covers on furniture or leaving the protective plastic tape on the screen of electronic equipment.
Or that green hologram thingy on the back of your Rolex.

Seriously, that is one poor analogy. I cannot see/hear/feel/taste/etc my clear bra unless I am washing the car, so an order of magnitude more "out of site, out of mind" than the protective covers you describe. Certainly there are colors which show the film from a distance, but most don't.

I had a terrible install by the Porsche dealer of the 3M product, and had the misfortune of hitting a cloud of debris on the highway one day. The bra was torn in about 4 places, and chunks were taken out of it. I wonder if it was weakened by overstretching? I was convinced that the paint underneath had been damaged by the impacts, but when they replaced the crap install with a properly installed version, the paint was still perfect!

I will gladly pay $1000 every two or three years to keep a good clear bra in place and protect the paint.

Quick Reply: What happened here?