What happened here?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 11:06 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened here?

The following pictures show how the clear bra on the front of my car looks after about 2 years.

The reader should note that the car has never been abused and is professionally detailed. I have other cars with clear bra and have had no similar problems (but they do not have the same clear bra product). The product on some of the other cars has been there for as long as four years, and all cars are washed and detailed in the same place. It is fair to say that all cars have been maintained, and treated, in a very similar manner.

The Past

On the above installation I paid $2K, and was quickly less than satisfied with the material and the durability of the finish (and the completeness of the installation), but at that time put it down to a poor decision on my part and decided I would not use the installer again; and just let any interested parties know of my dissatisfaction with the material, application and value.

There were many attempts to “shout” me down as a malcontent or someone with a personal agenda. None of which was true. The “self-interest army” was mobilized to try and discredit me. I was banned precipitously (and wrongly) by Rob on FChat; having been accused of following the installer around various websites. I believe the apparent “victim” mentality played by him was, and is a ruse. I merely posted, just as I have done on Rennlist, when the subject came up particularly on the issues of value and material quality; and rarely, if ever, initiated a topic about poor quality, poor installation or poor value, until today. Partly out of laziness.

I didn’t go back to the installer to complain for a number of reasons but mainly; a.) It would have taken 4 hours of my time b.) I didn’t like the material used so replacing it was not a solution and therefor futile. Nor did I demand my money back, I just sucked it up and decided never again, putting it down to poor judgement and research on my part. The installer seems to think (mistakenly) that I have some obligation to return to him. It is best to remember the Einstein definition of stupidity: "Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result". So why engage in futile activity since the material used appears to be of dubious quality, it might be easy to put on but it doesn’t wear well.

Most times customers who are displeased follow their instincts, and just walk. Given the circumstances (with hindsight) it was the right thing to do because the future actions and activities, on the part of the supplier, suggested that Customer sensitivity, satisfaction and management (like clear bra installation?) might not be their strong suit. More effort on quality, and less on marketing hype, might have produced a different result.

The Present

Well, the “quality” subject came up again, and some pictures were posted, not originally by me, of my car, so I thought I would share them (new material) here.

The pictures (below) raise at least 3 concerns for your consideration and determination, before you spend your money:

Is it crappy material, and it wears out?

It is a crappy installation where the material or process was abused?

Is it a crappy value at $2K (plus my time)

It could also be a “crappy” combination of all 3 concerns. You decide for yourself if the evolving results are something you would like to experience. Before I noticed the problems displayed in the pictures (below) I had drawn my conclusion(s) about the durability of the overall job , and I look on the pictures as reinforcement of my early observations.

The pictures, especially the one near the front wheel, reinforces my initial dissatisfaction with the whole value proposition; and suggests that initial pictures of quality and installation indicate nothing about future satisfaction that should relied upon by anyone. I suggest that no one pay for their clear bra installation based upon pictures, and more importantly no one should select a clear bra installer based upon pictures.

That my initial negative reaction has been reinforced over time has not increased my dissatisfaction because I had already written off the job; but it might give some readers here pause about who, and how, they select a clear bra installer and maybe even more importantly the clear bra material; or if they even think clear bra is worth the hassle or expense.

If you conclude that the above pictures are indicative of some level of “crap” then it certainly does (re)establish my credibility and judgement which appears to have been questioned and pilloried. The efforts to “shout” me down have included:- appeals for positive referrals, emails to Admins and suggestions of possible lawsuits. These come across as heavy handed attempts to intimidate, and are hardly desired characteristics in a supplier or service relationship. The whining and expectation that I should return for more negative experience suggests that some people just “don’t get it”. What is that old expression?: Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

If you are initially happy with your clear bra installation, keep an eye on it, compare it to others over time and perhaps yours won’t deteriorate like mine. When it comes to price, $2+K does not necessarily get you a good job, and in my experience it just might be stupid to pay that much money for the coverage and protection needed. Remember I put down this experience down to my mistake, and if you are smart you can learn from others’ mistakes

Hopefully you can use my experience(s) as a learning tool, and to draw your own conclusions, and make more informed supplier decisions. The “in your face” names and self-promoters are not always the best suppliers.

And at a minimum the pictures speak for themselves. Listen.....

Caveat Emptor!

Old 01-10-2009, 11:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

I have no answers for you but... I had clear bra in 2 previous cars and decided that I will not install that ever again. I will use a std bra on the road, follow cars with a respectful distance (I hope), and if need be respray. Clear bra is not worth the trouble and looks tacky. My 0.02.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Geez Colm that is very strange.
I know there are a million threads about the pros and cons of bras (for the car), but I don't think I'll put one on my next 911. I can see the thing from a mile away on almost every Porsche I've seen with one and it really sticks out on my yellow baby.
Unless I buy a true collectible model, I don't think I'll do it again.

Having met you IRL, I find it hard to believe that you could get banned from an internet forum. Then again I've seen a number of people banned from RL that seemed like cruel and unusual punishment.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:45 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Too bad about the issues you are having with the clear bra.
Some of it looks like it could be road damage that the clear bra could not protect against (it can happen no matter how careful you are). How are you sure that is not that? Some of the affected areas are quite low to ground; looks like it could be nicks and abrasions from road debris.

That would be my first conclusion before suggestion poor product/install. Sorry just playing devil's advocate here. I dont know how much the various products/installations differ but i cant imagine that they are significantly different. But i hear that Premier does great work.

I have the clear bra on mine since the last four years and besides for some slight yellowing no serious problems. Mine appears to be a standard kit and not a custom job though.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:52 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

That looks like more damage than should be allowed by a high quality material. But I will say that I had a clear bra on a BMW that I formerly owned and it held up well for a couple of years but then took a couple of hard hits from a rock and they left a mark just like those on your car.

How did you pay $2000 for this? I bought my 911 pre-owned so I don't know what the clear bra cost. But I paid $500 for a full front bra on my BMW.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:57 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

[QUOTE=sharmat;6167796]Too bad about the issues you are having with the clear bra.
Some of it looks like it could be road damage that the clear bra could not protect against (it can happen no matter how careful you are). How are you sure that is not that? Some of the affected areas are quite low to ground; looks like it could be nicks and abrasions from road debris.
QUOTE]

Yes, pictures 2 and 3 look exactly like the road debris damage that was on my old BMW. I was sure this was caused by a rock on my car as I inspected it shortly after hearing the "thunk" on my bumper. That's what a rock hit looks like.

Are you expecting that the clear bra can withstand high velocity hits from larger rocks?
Old 01-11-2009, 02:06 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clear bras have got to be one of the biggest ripoffs in automotive history.

It's a solution desperately in search of a problem to solve.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:09 AM
kcl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My factory piece took a hit from something and got damaged like yours. It was at least 2 inches in length and was pretty noticeable. Took it off and no problem with paint! I believe in it completely. I'd expect to have to repaint the rear quarter panel if Porsche did not lay those pieces there strategically.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:17 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry to be a party pooper, but I have had my clear bra for 3 years. No problems. I will get it again.

Sounds like you have made your choice. Cheers
Old 01-11-2009, 06:28 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 523 Posts

Pictures 2 and 3 look like road debris damage similar to what I experienced with my GT3 last year. Just have those film pannels replaced and you should be fine.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:42 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Pic #1 looks like that spot may have taken a hit or gotten scraped, which broke through the film, similar to the scrape/impact damage in Pic #2. Once the hole had been made, subsequent washes allowed water inside and the hole expanded.

I would anticipate that the hole in pic #2, if not repaired, will expand due to water and air penetration and end up looking similar to pic #1.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Waste of money...Ill never have one on any car I own.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:27 AM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by points
Waste of money...Ill never have one on any car I own.
But then, I don't expect that FL drops too much sand, rocks and salt on the road?
Old 01-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by CBejbl
But then, I don't expect that FL drops too much sand, rocks and salt on the road?
True. Maybe its just for Northerners.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

We get Love Bugs and Florida and a clear bra will save your paint from them

Quick Reply: What happened here?