Sponsored by:

08 C4S Performance Mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 07:34 PM
GARRY SIMMONS
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 C4S Performance Mods

Just bought a 4900 mile car and looking to make some changes without going into engine drastically. Are airboxes, intake plenum and exhaust mods worth doing at all, it seems plenty fast now, old hot rodders just can't stand to leave things alone.

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Leave it alone unless you want more sound.....or a supercharger
Old 01-04-2009, 08:15 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The P-car is perfect as-is... IMO can't squeeze anymore HP or TQ without going with supercharger or adding a turbo. Many (aftermarket bubbas) will tell you different, but I'm not a believer.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:32 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Garry,

If your car does not have PSE, one mod I would recommend is the PSE mod to the stock mufflers. It will cost $250 to $400 if the muffler shop removes/replaces the mufflers, less if you remove/reinstall them yourself.

Check out this link:

Stock Muffler to PSE mod
Old 01-04-2009, 08:45 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Garry,

If your car does not have PSE, one mod I would recommend is the PSE mod to the stock mufflers. It will cost $250 to $400 if the muffler shop removes/replaces the mufflers, less if you remove/reinstall them yourself.

Check out this link:

Stock Muffler to PSE mod
+1 and add a short-shift kit
Old 01-04-2009, 08:55 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

and post pics of your car! That is a REQUIREMENT here!
Old 01-06-2009, 09:09 AM
GARRY SIMMONS
7th Gear

OK, thanks. Weather here in Charlotte sucky since pick up so will get some good picks and post. More "sound" would be great but not too loud for road trips. I heard a Fabspeed car at a Mid Ohio school this summer and it was loud and kind of raggedy (word?) sounding. I may pick up a muffler set, have it modified and save mine.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:13 AM
GARRY SIMMONS
7th Gear

Thanks. Any recommendations on the short shift kit? You're right, pretty perfect as is and quick enough. My last really fast car was a new 1966 427/425 Vette, also silver, and this feels as fast. Maybe it's the age, just more scared now.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default QUESTION

Originally Posted by GARRY SIMMONS
Just bought a 4900 mile car and looking to make some changes without going into engine drastically. Are airboxes, intake plenum and exhaust mods worth doing at all, it seems plenty fast now, old hot rodders just can't stand to leave things alone.
Thanks.
What's your objective?
Better exhaust sound?
More performance for the track?
Your answers would dictate what direction you might go with mods, BUT, like others have said, the car is pretty much perfect to begin with and if you're not tracking it, I wouldn't think you'd need to mod it.
Mr. B
Old 01-06-2009, 10:33 AM
rvklein
Racer

Maybe I'm a whimp but when I lower my seat, put my C2S in sport mode, it's plenty of car to scare the beejesus out of me....
Old 01-06-2009, 12:21 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

OK, thanks. Weather here in Charlotte sucky since pick up so will get some good picks and post. More "sound" would be great but not too loud for road trips. I heard a Fabspeed car at a Mid Ohio school this summer and it was loud and kind of raggedy (word?) sounding. I may pick up a muffler set, have it modified and save mine.
Gary, I did the same thing (picked up an extra set of mufflers to mod) only because I was leasing the car and wanted to be able to return it to stock at lease end.

About a week before the end of the lease I swapped my modded mufflers with Steven C. here in Dallas. His were stock and he got my modded mufflers. I had breakfast with him on Saturday, and he said he still LOVES the sound, and commented that they are relatively quiet when cruising but get louder when he punches it.

if I am ever able to get another 911 (996 or 997) and it does not have PSE, I will do this mod in the first week of ownership. It is THAT good.

Thanks. Any recommendations on the short shift kit? You're right, pretty perfect as is and quick enough. My last really fast car was a new 1966 427/425 Vette, also silver, and this feels as fast. Maybe it's the age, just more scared now.
Gary, I used to live in Concord, NC, north east of Charlotte.

Contact Eric at Bumperplugs.com. He carries the B&M Short Shift Kit for $199. His office is in Charlotte and located about 2 or 3 miles south/south west of Hendrick Porsche. If you buy from him, drive over and pick it up so you can see some samples of their painted parts. The paint work is awesome!

Tell him Tim sent you. I don't think he will hold that against you!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:49 PM
awilks
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gary, depending on where you reside...If you happen to be in New England area of Northeast I would highly recommend you visit with Farnbacher Loles in Danbury CT.
Depending on your budget, they offer a Performance Plus package that makes a lot of both HP and Torque relative to what a lot of others claim (ie the plennum +26hp BS). My 07 C4S was transformed by their efforts. +40hp and over +40ft lb's of torque on the dyno. I added a X51 Porsche factory carbon intake which may have added about 6-7HP of that but the car's ability to breath, and make power in the last 2k rpm range was dramatic and worth every penny. I chose this package vs the +26HP and less torque of the factory X51 option. The majority of the power increase comes from their full proprietary exhaust, which by itself is 7k, the ECU program allows the engine to maximize the benefit of specifically calibrated reduced back pressure, and when coupled with increased intake from the X-51 airbox, it's a solid platform. If by chance you are within reasonable distance from their location I would strongly reccomend you check them out. I researched what I felt were all the available aftermarket options before I made my decision. Good Luck
Old 01-07-2009, 06:57 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There have been dozens of threads asking the same question - if you try a search you'll find all sorts of combinations. I experimented and ended up with Porsche X51 headers (really inexpensive, like $625), AWE 200 cell cats (no CEL issues), and the stock mufflers. Great sound, real gains, especially once Softronic software installed. Total out the door was about $3000 for that setup. Handling is another matter - GT3 control arms gave me the -2.3 camber I was after for a street / DE setup. Tried H&R and GT3 sways, didn't like what they did. Tried Damptronics, same. Ended up back with stock suspension, which was quickest at the track.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:46 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Buy the B&M short shift kit from Bumperplugs....it works great and is less money than the OEM.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:32 AM
GARRY SIMMONS
7th Gear

Thanks, I'll run up there to check what they do and see it all in person.

Quick Reply: 08 C4S Performance Mods