Please help with color pick

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 11:30 AM
jlinmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with color pick

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on RL. I've been a long-time lurker and I've enjoyed reading the informative and some very entertaining posts on this forum. I know a few people here, friends from the past and present, and hopefully I will get to know more of you as the time passes.

So here's my first post, and of course it had to be about picking a color for the 997.2 C2 that I'll be ordering from the one and only 'Stoppie. I've narrowed the color down to Carrera White, Speed Yellow, and Aqua Blue. I know, I know...choose the color that will float my boat, but damn, I like them all. I've compared pics, watched videos to see each car in action, but I'm still losing sleep over it.
Please help! I just want to get your opinion and why you pick _that_ particular color over my other choices. I'm pulling the trigger soon...ish for May/June delivery, so I need some mucho help before I lose it.
Why does Porsche have to make it so difficult??????

Last edited by jlinmd; 01-02-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:39 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Aqua Blue then hands down. I had Cobolt and it was stunning and always drew compliments. If you look up some of my old posts, you'll see my Cobalt, which is very similar to Aqua. Had a white car, which was nice, but nothing special. Considered "Arrest me Yellow", but it's not subtle enough.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:40 AM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlinmd
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on RL. I've been a long-time lurker and I've enjoyed reading the informative and some very entertaining posts on this forum. I know a few people here, friends from the past and present, and hopefully I will get to know more of you as the time passes. https://rennlist.com/forums/graemlins/xyxwave.gif

So here's my first post, and of course it had to be about picking a color for the 997.2 C2 that I'll be ordering from the one and only 'Stoppie. I've narrowed the color down to Carrera White, Speed Yellow, and Aqua Blue. I know, I know...choose the color that will float my boat, but damn, I like them all. I've compared pics, watched videos to see each car in action, but I'm still losing sleep over it. https://rennlist.com/forums/graemlins/banghead.gif

Please help! I just want to get your opinion and why you pick _that_ particular color over my other choices. I'm pulling the trigger soon...ish for May/June delivery, so I need some mucho help before I lose it. https://rennlist.com/forums/graemlins/bigcry.gif

Why does Porsche have to make it so difficult??????
Welcome to Rennlist and the North Olmsted buyer's club. Stoppie's a good guy. I went with Carrara White, largely for maintenance considerations. And I don't think there are any colors that really look bad on a 911 (except for flat brown, possibly).
Old 01-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Go linen or carrara white.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Aqua Blue. It looks great regardless of the light. It's on my list as a "next" color, along with Meteor Gray and Ruby Red.

With Aqua Blue you give yourself some nice interior color options too; from Gray, Natural Gray, Black, Sand Beige, and Natural Brown, and of course Blue.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:55 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

What color of interior do you prefer? Maybe you coould start there and work backwards. If it's black, then that doesn't narrow the search any. Personally, I don't like black interiors, because they are too dark and too common. If you are thinking about Sand Beige or Natural Brown leather, then I think that almost rules out Speed Yellow. While those interiors would look "OK" with SY, it would be just "OK" and not great.

I like blue cars and had a Lapis Blue 996 and really liked it. Aqua Blue is a similar to Cobalt and a little more "electric" than Lapis, which is no longer available, except as a "paint to sample" color.

However, with that ^ said, if I were ordering a 997.2 today, I would go with Carrara White over Sea Blue leather interior. That is a very sweet combination, IMO. See pic.
Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2009, 11:59 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

One thing to consider. If you plan to keep this particular car forever, then do whatever you like. If you feel in a few years you might trade it in on another Porsche or something else, you might want to stay a little more in the "neutral" zone. I've done this a few times and you cannot go wrong with: Silver on std. black (perhaps the easiest to re-sell), Aqua on black, etc. When you go into non-traditional interiors or yellow, red, or white, you may find a much smaller resale market.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:51 PM
jlinmd
Racer

gota911,

Interesting point...going from choosing the interior first then the exterior. I was choosing black interior for all three color choices 'cuz it's what I think look the "sportiest". Black _is_ however, a little boring, and like you said, common. I'm ordering a pretty basic C2, so I'm not opting for natural leather, which would give me even more color choices and decisions to make.

The reason I like CW is because it looks pure, clean, sporty, and relatively easy to take care of. I think it looks even better this year with the addition of the front LEDs. If I were to pick CW, I'll pick either black or sand beige interior with Carrera Sport wheels, sport seats, red seat belt, and white rear console.

I like Aqua 'cuz it's not that common of a color and really stands out, yet not too flashy like the SY. The car itself looks great in Aqua. If I pick Aqua, I'll stick with black interior and CS II or Sport design wheels in black, and black interior with red seat belts.

SY is probably my third choice just because it's flashy and cops probably love it. On the other hand, it's a 911 dammit, it's ok to have a flashy color. If I choose to go with SY, I'll pick black interior, CS II wheels, and red seat belts.

Ron,

I'm leasing it, so I'm not too worried about the resale market. Thanks for bringing that point up.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:55 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Even though you are leasing, you should make the decision as though you are buying. The reason? Chances are you will like the car so much that you will buy it off-lease after paying your dealer $2k to CPO it.

Just look at this Aqua Blue: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...yesterday.html
Old 01-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Luus
Pro

Aqua blue
Old 01-02-2009, 05:48 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carerra White

Which color will you still like in a few years from now? I'd consider that angle too. I love yellow cars, for example, but I don't think I would love to have one day in and day out for several years.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:53 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Go Ivory White!

You can't not get wood looking at Points car. That thing is the cats ***!
Old 01-02-2009, 06:09 PM
J-F-O
Instructor

I vote Aqua Blue with Cocoa interior
Old 01-02-2009, 06:21 PM
jlinmd
Racer

It seems to me white and blue are split pretty evenly here. Is yellow too bold and flashy? Good point on whether or not I can live with it for the next few years. And I do like the idea of Aqua with Cocoa. White with Sea Blue or Cocoa will look good too. Oh man....hummmmmm
Old 01-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Speed Yellow rocks, it is the perfect color for the 997. Of course I am abiased.

BTW, I found the opposite to be true on resale. All my cars I have gotten recentely are the "loud" colors, imola Red for my M3's and now a SY 997S and a 98 Mustang Cobra in Chrome Yellow. Everytime I have had to sell the car at the end of a lease or for whatever reasons I found buyers who were interested in just that color and they would pay a premium or close to full retail (I do realize the economy is different now) because that was the color they wanted..not black, silver or any other 10 different shades of grey. In addition to this they travelled from Minnesota and Fl. to get these cars. The black, silver and 10 shades of grey are so bountiful here in S. California that you can't throw a rock without hitting a Porsche, BMW and Mercedes in the afformentioned colors. Don't get me wrong these colors look beautiful on the car but there is just so many just like it. Yes SY is loud..but it works so beautifully on this car. I wouldn't get any other color for this car..would do it again in a heart beat.

Also, Ron..love the GT3 Just should have been in SY

Dave

Quick Reply: Please help with color pick