Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Since the 997.2 is taking more of a tiptronic approach...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 06:31 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
I'm glad to see Porsche offer a choice, and the new tranny will likely bring new customers to the brand. I drove a PDK car and I was very impressed with the it, though I think it needs up and down paddles. I do prefer a gearshift in a 911, but I also (in the minority) prefer gearshift in a 430.
I agree that its great that they offer it. Some people can't (disabled) or won't (heavy traffic areas) drive a manual tranny.

That said, I will never buy a sports car with an automatic/clutchless manual (including the F430).

Imagine how awesome cars like the Mercedes Benz SL65 would be with a manual transmission.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:39 PM
saltydawg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having two good choices is a wonderful thing. Some people like a black car, some like white.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:13 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

You know, that electric starter on these new cars takes all the fun out of being a car guy. I'd rather hand crank start my car plus I am not so sure of these new fangled options and how reliable a electric starter will be. Next thing you know they will add more gears, power windows and a radio.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PDK = wii shifter.

If you think wii tennis is better than the real thing then go ahead and enjoy. I'm sticking with the real thing.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by mdrums
You know, that electric starter on these new cars takes all the fun out of being a car guy. I'd rather hand crank start my car plus I am not so sure of these new fangled options and how reliable a electric starter will be. Next thing you know they will add more gears, power windows and a radio.
Thats a ridiculous comparison and you know it.

The act of starting a vehicle has an absolutely minor impact on the experience.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:26 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Ok there "Quadcammer", how's this then....
You know I hear there is a option for this new fangled thing called fuel injection. I will stick with my carburetor because there is no way that will ever work for a real car. Also I hear they are doing independent suspension on the rear axle. To many moving parts back there for any reliability. Also I heard those foreign cars have more than 1 cam so that has to lead to a bunch of problems down the road.
Get it now?!?!?!
Old 12-26-2008, 11:40 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The manual 6 speed is absolutely available.

The problem is dealers are ordering PDK cars, and Porsche North America is pushing PDK cars, I think. The PDK, as others have said, is NOT a Tiptronic, but it is still an automatic transmission. But if you want a 6 speed, you can certainly get one. Just don't expect to be able to walk onto a US Porsche dealer lot and drive off with one necessarily... marketing just hates enthusiasts. I know, sounds moronic when talking about Porsches, but marketing, especially automobile marketing, has always hosed the enthusiast... be it with VW (where we cannot get the 5 door Golf with 6spd and 4motion, lets say) to most other Euro lines... they try to hard to meet what the fat middle of the customer curve wants.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:49 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by mdrums
Ok there "Quadcammer", how's this then....
You know I hear there is a option for this new fangled thing called fuel injection. I will stick with my carburetor because there is no way that will ever work for a real car. Also I hear they are doing independent suspension on the rear axle. To many moving parts back there for any reliability. Also I heard those foreign cars have more than 1 cam so that has to lead to a bunch of problems down the road.
Get it now?!?!?!
quite frankly, no, because your argument is rubbish.

Does having fuel injection make you less involved in driving than having a carb?
Does having a solid axle make you more involved than having an independent rear?
Does having more cams give you less involvement?

your argument may have been better had you gone towards traction and stability control.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:19 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
quite frankly, no, because your argument is rubbish.

Does having fuel injection make you less involved in driving than having a carb?
Does having a solid axle make you more involved than having an independent rear?
Does having more cams give you less involvement?

your argument may have been better had you gone towards traction and stability control.
I get your point, although I must disagree on the live axle vs. independent rear. The suspension setup definitely affects the level of control and the driving experience.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:31 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Quadcammer, OK OK OK so you do not get it...I am being sarcastic with my last 2 post's. I am not saying PDK or 6 speed manual is better.

If I need to further explain my sarcasm let me know! :-)
Old 12-27-2008, 10:46 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
... The PDK, as others have said, is NOT a Tiptronic, but it is still an automatic transmission. ...
The PDK is not just an automatic. You could also say that it is a manual sans clutch pedal.

With modern transmissions evolving, I think it is more accurate to say that any given transmission is either a 2- or 3-pedal solution.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ucube
I get your point, although I must disagree on the live axle vs. independent rear. The suspension setup definitely affects the level of control and the driving experience.
it does, but since the independent rear has each rear wheel acting independently, you get greater feel.

Mdrum, I see. I guess my sarcasm meter was broken and I was looking to argue
Old 12-27-2008, 11:50 AM
DanJK
Racer

PSM then?
Old 12-27-2008, 11:51 AM
DanJK
Racer

PSM then?
Old 12-27-2008, 12:10 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

thats a tough one.

While the safety aspects of it are undeniable, it has been criticized as being another way Porsche has pussified the 911 into being more of a grand tourer.

That said, at 7/10s, PSM is likely to be pretty un-invasive. At 10/10s (which should really only be done on the track), Id suggest turning it off (not sure if it actually turns completely off).

That said, at 8/10s, and 9/10s, it may detract from the involvement, but it also keeps you from ending up in the brush.

Since it can be turned off, Id say its like having a manual transmission, with a clutch pedal and a standard shifter, but also paddle shifters. You flip a switch and you get clutchless shifting, flip it back and you're using the clutch. Now THAT would be sweet.

Quick Reply: Since the 997.2 is taking more of a tiptronic approach...