Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Since the 997.2 is taking more of a tiptronic approach...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 04:59 PM
GATSBY
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Since the 997.2 is taking more of a tiptronic approach...

will this car even be respected? I have been to 2 dealers and all the 997.2s are all tiptronic. i have yet to see one in manual.

are these days done for the 911 enthusiast?
Old 12-24-2008, 05:08 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

Not really fair to characterize PDK as a Tiptronic. The only think it has in common with a Tip is the lack of a clutch pedal.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

PDK is damn good. As a daily driver I'd consider it.

As a weekend car I'd still prefer a manual.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:14 PM
GATSBY
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
Not really fair to characterize PDK as a Tiptronic. The only think it has in common with a Tip is the lack of a clutch pedal.
no clutch = casket closed on the enthusiasts, end of an era.. LOVE how porsche did this quietly... only recourse is to load up on the used 993s
Old 12-24-2008, 05:23 PM
GATSBY
Intermediate

i am just so tired of it.. the 997 was a return to the knuckle roots of the 993 after the 996 was a complete disaster for porsche. now they go and add all this soft tiptronic garbage. after the 997 being the best selling 911 ever, youd think theyd stay course.

i cant be alone in this belief
Old 12-24-2008, 05:28 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

Discussions such as this always bring to my mind a picture of long ago and folks sitting around a coal stove in the general store. They are discussing how sad they are that the real skill of driving is being lost because these modern transmissions have syncronizers, and can you imagine those hydraulic brakes! Why, they stop you sooner, but gosh, they don't require half the leg strength. And what are folks going to do not that you can't adjust the timing from the driver's seat like you can on a Model A.

I doubt anyone would disagree that when driving a Model A you were much more involved with the process, but that doesn't mean that the PDK means the end of enjoying a drive.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

GATSBY - the 6 speed is still available. Don['t be so fast to dis the PDK it is not anything like the Tiptronic slushbox. Think Ferrari F1 transmission... only better.

It will be popular and dealers wisely ordered their early arrivals with PDK.

Best,
Old 12-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Dave in Oregon
Instructor

Once the novelty wears off and most people take a second look and ride in a manual transmission car, I think that the manual transmission car will still categorize the majority of new car buyers. Right now PDK is THE new technology at Porsche and so it gets all the attention. In time this new fascination will fade and even those who have a PDK option will choose manual transmission in their next car. Rowing the gears is just more rewarding and fulfilling than straight shot floor boarding, at least for me. For those who have a long commute or drive in heavy traffic, the PDK is one solution, but in such a scenario, I would have a second high mileage, low mileage car as a commuter. Seems like a travesty to use a Porsche as a commuter car.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:34 PM
GATSBY
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
Discussions such as this always bring to my mind a picture of long ago and folks sitting around a coal stove in the general store. They are discussing how sad they are that the real skill of driving is being lost because these modern transmissions have syncronizers, and can you imagine those hydraulic brakes! Why, they stop you sooner, but gosh, they don't require half the leg strength. And what are folks going to do not that you can't adjust the timing from the driver's seat like you can on a Model A.

I doubt anyone would disagree that when driving a Model A you were much more involved with the process, but that doesn't mean that the PDK means the end of enjoying a drive.
valid point.. but i am a hands on guy and anytime a computer is taking away from my enjoyment i feel i am not in control. there is nothing like the feeling of dropping into 4th at 85 miles an hour while in sport -

just because porsche does it - doesnt mean its right. there was an uproar over the 996 lights, so porsche changed them for the 997 cuz they listened to their base.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Dave in Oregon
Instructor

..........make that "high MPG, low maintenance car as a commuter"
Old 12-24-2008, 05:36 PM
GATSBY
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
GATSBY - the 6 speed is still available. Don['t be so fast to dis the PDK it is not anything like the Tiptronic slushbox. Think Ferrari F1 transmission... only better.

It will be popular and dealers wisely ordered their early arrivals with PDK.

Best,
yes i know there is still a manual, but we are 911 guys, not ferrari guys. ferraris date worse than bad fruit. there is no classic look to them like there is on a 930, 964 etc. why follow ferrari in the wrong direction? doesnt make much sense
Old 12-24-2008, 05:37 PM
DanJK
Racer

Would you consider psm a "computer taking away from my enjoyment"? How about any other dozen of systems working in the 997?
Old 12-24-2008, 05:37 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GATSBY
will this car even be respected? I have been to 2 dealers and all the 997.2s are all tiptronic. i have yet to see one in manual.

are these days done for the 911 enthusiast?
PDK is not Tiptronic. Do your reading. And the 997 is way more refined then the 993.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:39 PM
DanJK
Racer

Hard to know where to start with that post! How was the 996 a disaster for Porsche exactly?
Old 12-24-2008, 05:43 PM
DanJK
Racer

Quietly??? Porsche has been spouting the PDK since they promised to bring it to market. Every press release featured it, highlighted it, espoused it. There was nothing quite about its debut.

Quick Reply: Since the 997.2 is taking more of a tiptronic approach...