Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Since the 997.2 is taking more of a tiptronic approach...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 09:29 PM
MFC996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ucube
You should be thankful. Without the Boxster, 996, and Cayenne, do you think you'd even have a 997 to drive?
Forget it he's rolling.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by GATSBY
will this car even be respected? I have been to 2 dealers and all the 997.2s are all tiptronic. i have yet to see one in manual.

are these days done for the 911 enthusiast?
I venture to say that you saw NO Tiptronics if you were looking at 997 facelift cars. That's a PDK transmission, not a Tiptronic, nor is it a Sportamatic.

If you want a 6-speed in a 997.2 just order one that way,--that's how many of us have done it, instead of off the rack, in the showroom.

Slow down Gatsby here on the Rennlist, and make some friends instead of making grand comments or asking questions that have been asked over and over again (do a search online in Rennlist for those answers,--they are there). (Maybe you have to be a MEMBER to do a search...)

And yes, the Boxster and the Cayenne saved Porsche from becoming another boutique auto manufacturer sucked up by a big company that cares less about sports cars and performance.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:28 PM
GATSBY
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ucube
You should be thankful. Without the Boxster, 996, and Cayenne, do you think you'd even have a 997 to drive?
Yeah thats why I thanked him Old Sport!
Old 12-25-2008, 01:09 AM
GATSBY
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I venture to say that you saw NO Tiptronics if you were looking at 997 facelift cars. That's a PDK transmission, not a Tiptronic, nor is it a Sportamatic.

If you want a 6-speed in a 997.2 just order one that way,--that's how many of us have done it, instead of off the rack, in the showroom.

Slow down Gatsby here on the Rennlist, and make some friends instead of making grand comments or asking questions that have been asked over and over again (do a search online in Rennlist for those answers,--they are there). (Maybe you have to be a MEMBER to do a search...)

And yes, the Boxster and the Cayenne saved Porsche from becoming another boutique auto manufacturer sucked up by a big company that cares less about sports cars and performance.
Fine.. but the fact of the matter is the following and write this down: "100 years from today, no one is going to know what a boxster or cayenne is, what will be known is the 911.. and you know this... every other vehicle is just bull ****. Period." - GATSBY
Old 12-25-2008, 01:35 AM
PMD 993
Pro

obviously this post is going no where.. so i am shutting it down.

but i still wonder.. where have all the 911 enthusiasts gone?
They're busy driving their Air-Cooled Porsches. kthnxbi

And BTW, the PDK has two clutches, it only lacks a clutch pedal and it's clear that you have NEVER driven a 997.2 equipped with one.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:42 AM
plz
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fine.. but the fact of the matter is the following and write this down: "100 years from today, no one is going to know what a boxster or cayenne is, what will be known is the 911.. and you know this... every other vehicle is just bull ****. Period." - GATSBY
Attached Images  
Old 12-25-2008, 02:37 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Old 12-25-2008, 03:03 AM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems that Ben Choi has groomed a mentor.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:52 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Gatsby, I understand where your frustration is coming from, but I want to point something out... based on your comments, in terms of diffusion of innovation theory, you would most likely be classified as a laggard... the category of laggards constitutes about 16 percent of all product adopters... they are suspicious of new ideas... they are consumption traditionalists... they avoid change... they believe the past was better than the present... demographically, they tend to be older and they tend to have a lower-than-average socioeconomic status (for that specific product category)... those are generalizations and tendencies, so they don't have to be true for every single individual in the group. Anyway, my point is (and I hate to tell you this): from a marketing strategy viewpoint, laggards are completely irrelevant. The rule is to focus corporate efforts on innovators, early adopters, early majority, and late majority (using different marketing mixes for each group, of course).

So if you feel that Porsche is neglecting you, this is why.

Ultimately, and I have said this a dozen times, all these discussions come down to the simple fact that Porsche is a company that sells different consumer products to different target markets (and to different segments in those markets), and the members of these markets exhibit different needs, motivations, perceptions, rationales, personalities, preferences, lifestyles, ideals, tastes, adoption patterns, values, etc...; no matter just how much someone prefers one thing over another, or believes for something to be better or worse or true or false, there are plenty of individuals who view things completely different. In terms of preferences and tastes, there simply is no 'right' or 'wrong'. Intelligent, profit-oriented corporations such as Porsche have been taking advantage of this. Hence, we have Boxsters and Cayennes and the whole enchilada.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:21 AM
Porky
Instructor

For what its worth, Porsche will not offer the PDK for the GT3 or GT2 - can't get any more real than that!
Old 12-25-2008, 10:00 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
It seems that Ben Choi has groomed a mentor.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:27 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Porky
For what its worth, Porsche will not offer the PDK for the GT3 or GT2 - can't get any more real than that!
I think the initial reason was a question of power limits of the transmission and the potential power of the GT3 engine. Now that my be just a marketing guy talking at Porsche. Plus the PDK is about 60 lbs heavier than the 6 speed and there may also be an issue in that the GT3 must be as close as possible to the raced vehicle is some series especially in Europe. All conjecture on my part.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:25 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I hate to go this particular direction, but the overall age demographic for buyers of New Porsches is getting older and older, as well. Baby Boomers are still the largest crowd at the dealerships. And, yes, I too am considering PDK as a worthy successor to my clutch pedal. I actually think it will enhance my DE experiences to not have to deal with downshifting and rev matching and double clutching and.. well, after 16 Porsches and 40 years of driving them (including 64 DE events in the last 15 years), I think the PDK is just the right thing... I still get to decide which gear and when. And the 997.2 S (PDK, PASM Sport, LSD, Sport Exhaust, etc.) is the "big step forward" I was waiting for.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

Originally Posted by MFC996
Forget it he's rolling.
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?......
Old 12-25-2008, 12:57 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Jlangmd
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?......

Quick Reply: Since the 997.2 is taking more of a tiptronic approach...