Sponsored by:

5 month car repair?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 05:21 PM
MarkSchu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 5 month car repair?

so, how would you handle this situation: I was driving my 2007 Carrera S convertible down a tree lined street last June, when all of a sudden a car comes out of nowhere and hits me on the right front quarter panel, pushing me up on the median, deploying air bags, and the roll bars. I call the sales manager who sold me the car ( actually a 4 year lease through Porsche financial), who says just send the car to him at the dealership. It then takes 5 months to repair this car. When I called I always got "maybe next week". I try to be patient so I don't put the screws to them till October, when I stop paying the lease and tell Porsche customer service about the situation. Finally at the end of November, the car is ready, but between Thanksgiving , being swamped at work and being out of town the first 10 days in December, I don't pick it up, so I don't even know if it is done correctly. Now Porsche financial is calling for their money.

What would you do now? I have told Porsche customer service that I think they should comp me 4 months of the lease, since 30 days seems reasonable to repair the car. They are discussing it...meanwhile I am at a stalemate with Porsche financial, who of course say they don't have anything to do with Porsche usa or the dealership. Am I hosed?
Old 12-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

You're hosed. Neither PCNA nor PFS is repairing your car, nor is it their fault your car was in a wreck, nor is it their fault it took a long time to repair.

You should be taking the 5+ month issue up with your insurance company. But the lease payments are your responsibility regardless.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:28 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee

You should be taking the 5+ month issue up with your insurance company. But the lease payments are your responsibility regardless.
I agree with that.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

This sort of scenario is why so many cars get totaled on paper. It seems incredible that a repair to the damages you mentioned could take 5 months to complete. That's where your efforts need to be focused,--upon the slobs that slow-rolled you for 150 days. Unfortunately, unless you are a whiz at writing lease contracts, you're always stuck with the lease payment, irrespective of the circumstances.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:08 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how can it take 5 months to repair a car?? you can build a freakin home in 5 months..... if your car was that badly damaged you should have demanded a new car..and not a fixer upper.... I would probably stopped payment as well and let them stick that car where the sun don't shine...Yes I know the lease has to get paid....but Porsche even when they are not responsible for the wrecking part..they are responsible to get you your car back ON-TIME...it is after all not a Ferrari or Lambo with hard to find parts.!!
Old 12-13-2008, 06:12 AM
Sadiq
Pro

the dealer**** and porsche financial are (i think) separate enough entities that you for sure gotta pay your lease, and then go after that lost money from the stear****
Old 12-13-2008, 07:16 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Was it repaired by the dealer or an independant body shop that just may be sharing proprtty with the dealership? Second, I agree your issue is with the dealership /body shop and not with PNA or PFS. It would also be interesting to know what caused the delay. When did they actually start work on your car and was it actively worked on or just a "filler" job. Wish you luck, by the way what dealership?
Old 12-13-2008, 07:40 AM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Has your credit been affected because you withheld payments? The leasing company no responsibility for a car crash or a dealer’s lousy performance.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:09 PM
MarkSchu
Instructor

Thanks to all for the comments. I agree that Porsche Financial was not at fault and should not be held accountable. My checks have been mailed. Porsche customer service, however, did look into the situation and told me that the last month was a delay due to mistakes made by the company so they offered to pay one months lease. Better than nothing and I was in no position to negotiate so I said yes. At least they listened and did something.

Quick Reply: 5 month car repair?