Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I miss the air-cooled 911's...it's incurable...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 09:50 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,106 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by glpellegrino
I agree with the general theme here - each of these iconic cars is so distinctive. The Carrera is old school in every way - best car to run around town in. The C4S is now the DD and if any one of these were to go...it is the Cayenne S.

Here are a few snaps. 88 Targa - 14K miles and 2008 C4S. 93 348 Serie Speciale has seats that you definitely 'wear' - best weight loss program I've ever tried.
Man! That's a lot of red cars!
Old 12-13-2008, 12:53 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, it just shows we're not alone. Sold my 993 and have regretted it every since. Now I have it in the back of my mind to get another one. I'm seaching. I love my 997, but there is just something special when driving that 993 - it just fits.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:47 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up Air Cooled - History of Porsche Chapter 1

My 1st Porsche was a new 1999 996 (Sept 98 build). That one blew up at 23k miles (another story) and Porsche replaced it with a 2001 996 which was a fantastic car, loved it. Even so, I felt that I missed something though (knowing the water cooled cars would always be around) and after a couple years came across a gorgeous 87 911 that I instantly feel in love with. Another couple of years of happy motoring passed that then had me on the hunt for the pinnacle of air cooled evolution, the 993.

This 97 I have can only be described as something akin to a good baseball glove. It actually seems to get better with age. It has a personality (soul) that connects me to this car that just wasn't there with the 996. The "banter" about outright performance aside (as compared to the newer models) the idiosyncrasies of the air cooled cars are indeed what makes owning one something special. I also tend to discount (with a grain of salt) anyone who has a negative opinion about air cooled 911's without ever having owned one themselves (you know who you are...it's not about light to light performance). I can't imagine ever selling this car and interestingly - The 80 SC, 87 Carrera and current 97 993 I've owned have all made perfect heat and A/C. Lucky I guess but then again one could hardly describe the weather in San Diego as "extreme"!

Having said all that there's no doubt that I'm patiently pining for the next 911 (2012 991) and of course I'd love a 997GT3 (if I had the $$).
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: I miss the air-cooled 911's...it's incurable...